Andy0689

Mirage Ad

Sure, insulting potential customers is a great strategy!

It reminds me of Speaker's Corner discussions, where the name-calling occurs just because someone disagrees with another persons opinion. It's childish and immature. Do I want to buy a rig upon which my life depends from a company that is childish and immature?

Sure, insulting potential customers is a great strategy!

Probably IS a great strategy...who wants a bunch of cry babies for customers anyway! ;):ph34r:

~on a serious note, it IS great marketing.

The ads are being talked about here on DizzyDot, Blue Skies, Parachutist has more letters in this months issue...supportive this time.

I'd bet more people have paid more attention to the ad, than ever imagined...and to follow it up this way ~ Brilliant! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

So they went from indirect insults to direct insults? I'm still not going to buy their stuff.

i don't think that they are overly concerned by that :ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

~on a serious note, it IS great marketing. The ads are being talked about here on DizzyDot, Blue Skies, Parachutist has more letters in this months issue...supportive this time.

Only if you define "great marketing" as "getting people to talk about your company".

But the question is, has all that talk led to an increase in sales? That's the true end goal of marketing...

~on a serious note, it IS great marketing. The ads are being talked about here on DizzyDot, Blue Skies, Parachutist has more letters in this months issue...supportive this time.

Only if you define "great marketing" as "getting people to talk about your company".

But the question is, has all that talk led to an increase in sales? That's the true end goal of marketing...

marketed ood enough to make you post about it twice, which means it must have crossed your mind dozens of times to stick in your crawl so much!;)

ya been sucked into their game!:ph34r:

Do I want to buy a rig upon which my life depends from a company that is childish and immature?

Why not? Does it affect the quality of their product? For that matter have you ever ventured into the SC?

All these Mirage ads have done was to get skydivers talking about them... a lot! They accomplished this task. Now look at the marketing group. A bunch of people who want to both see naked people and be naked themselves (if you dont believe me check out the boob thread and the "male post whore glory" thread.. or just go to LP one year). I'm inclined to think they got more peoples attention for a "possible new customers" reason than not.

Oh, and for the record, I fly Wings (and reccommend them to everyone buying new stuff). So really no bias here.
Muff #5048

Actually, it's brilliant. Once upon a time, there was a man named Sam Cringes. He craved attention. And here's how he got it....

Startling Statement
Ask a question bearing on a need
Mystery Question (Fuller brush uses this a lot)

Compliment
Referral
Insult
News or big name
Gift
Exhibit/Example
Service

Basic marketing stuff. I'd say Ward is doing pretty damn well now that his strategy is established. People are talking.
No such thing as bad publicity.

I remember being at a conference where a marketing exec. made the comment to the room, 'I don't really care what people are sayng about me, as long as they are talking about me." Worked for him and his coaching has worked for many others.
It's a gift, I don't try to explain it.

when i worked a marketing gig for Starbucks, their goal was to be the most recognized symbol (logo) in the world, they were going after Nike. They did not care if people thought of coffee or not, they wanted pure "branding." I would suspect the goal of this is to have someone say "skydiving rig" to anyone, and have the other person say "Mirage." This add campaign is brilliant, and with all advertising, there will be complainers.

when i worked a marketing gig for Starbucks, their goal was to be the most recognized symbol (logo) in the world, they were going after Nike. They did not care if people thought of coffee or not, they wanted pure "branding." I would suspect the goal of this is to have someone say "skydiving rig" to anyone, and have the other person say "Mirage." This add campaign is brilliant, and with all advertising, there will be complainers.

Exactly. When you see someone on tv drinking coffee and there is a green logo on the cup that is not Starbucks, you think "Starbucks", not coffee.
It's a gift, I don't try to explain it.

Getting a buzz off a print ad means that your product is standing out. Lets face it, nobody is going to shell out thousands of dollars just because they saw a funny advertisement in a magazine. However, good marketing makes your product stick out in the consumers mind. This will hopefully lead to the consumer taking a closer look at your product when they are in the market (for say, a new rig!)
BASE 1384