skymama

Turning the electricity off...is it ok?

My parents have a condo in the mountains in Utah. They're not allowed to turn all the electricity off, because while the pipes are insulated and run through the center of the building, they will still freeze. Their association mandates that during the winter, thermostats are left at 55 degrees F.

My dad's got the breaker box very clearly labeled, and when we leave, we turn off everything except the stuff tagged red, which is the heater and whatever else Dad's decided is "Stuff Not To Be Disconnected", like the smoke alarms.

I used to work with a guy who owned a duplex in Winter Park, CO, and rented out one half.
One time in January, he had tenants move out, and the morons completely shut off the heat.
He had to take several days off work to drive up and repair the broken pipes.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Help, cold weather people!

Skymama, you've gotten alot of advice in this thread so I won't give any. I will tell you I was a firefighteron Hilton Head Island, SC and a tenant on the top floor of an apartment building turned off their power at their panel and the pipes up there froze solid.........then when they thawed..........Well........you can guess what happened to every apartment below and on each side of the unheated one. We were there for several hours removing water.

I used to work with a guy who owned a duplex in Winter Park, CO, and rented out one half.
One time in January, he had tenants move out, and the morons completely shut off the heat.
He had to take several days off work to drive up and repair the broken pipes.

Yeah, that's why my folks went with a condo rather than a cabin up there. If something goes totally wrong, the property manager can deal with it for us, since he's on the property and we're a day away (and as a nice bonus, he's the sheriff, too!), so the building is never empty. And we don't have to deal with shoveling snow or bringing in firewood either. Driveway's plowed, and there's plenty of wood in the garage. We just have to bring it inside. As much as the seclusion of a cabin would be nice and I'd like it if I lived there, the convenience of the condo is totally worth it for weekends and holidays!

Send him to a different college if he doesn't know what to do with an apartment for a month.[:/]

All replies here contain common sense. Is there a college that teaches that? As my dad would say, he better be really good at soccer.:D

:|

Everyone I've know that's graduated from a service academy wishes they had been given a "Life skills" class before graduating. Living in barracks and having mandatory meals really puts a damper on learning how to take care of yourself.

On a side note, I have had our AC/heater on in over a month... It doesnt get over like 55 degrees in the apartment, and I am FREEEEZIIINNNGGG lol. But I'm determined. Our apt is old so the AC unit smells funny and spits out lots of dust (yes I change my filter and use very good ones), I'm afraid of what the heater will smell like lol.

Send him to a different college if he doesn't know what to do with an apartment for a month.

Our winter is what you all would call a breezy Spring day, he doesn't have any experience with pipes freezing. He's also expecting to get straight A's this semester; I have confidence in his intelligence level.

Thanks to everyone else for being helpful!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

maybe Santa Claus can look into getting him a 6 month 'renters insurance'
policy.....
just in case...
never owned such a policy (have had HomeOwners for 30 years ) so not Sure of costs, and terms etc.. but it could help with any sort of mishap and even cover loss from theft or burglary either while the place is vacant, or anytime through the end of his stay.
Sure HOPe that freezing pipes won't be an issue,, i think it has to get REAL cold, for a long time.....
however if the supply lines are PVC, instead of copper... they could be more vulnerable..
lots of good suggestions here.. You're wise to ask......
good luck
jt

Low? Mine never gets set any higher than 65 or 66 during the day when I'm home, and 62 is the "I'm bundled up in my bed at night" temp.

LOL...last night in bed I had on pajamas, socks and gloves and was covered by a sheet, comforter and 2 blankets. The temp in the house was 69. I was fr-EEZ-ing! :ph34r:

When I lived in Tahoe my house was maybe 55-60f in the winter. Now that I live in Florida I keep my house at 74f but last night it was a bit chilly at the 74 mark so i turned the heat up to 76 before going to bed. I had fleece pjs, wool socks, and a hoody on to crawl into bed. It was perfect....:D
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

Even if he leaves the heat on at a low setting (I would) he should still shut off the main water supply to the apt if possible. At least shut the valves off at the toilets, water heater, laundry, etc. Those little flexible hoses at the toilets and washing machines are famous for failing at very bad times. To have one of the flex hoses to a toilet to fail and run for any length of time unchecked would be disasterous. Also to prevent freezing of the waste pipes buy some RV antifreeze (nontoxic) and pour in each drain. (don't forget washing machine, etc.) I've seen the damage from a washing machine hose failing while a couple was away for the weekend and it wasn't pretty. I've gotten so I replace them every year or so and shut them off when I go on vaca.

maybe Santa Claus can look into getting him a 6 month 'renters insurance'

My Brother-in-law had the house he was renting burn to the GROUND last winter. He, his wife and 2 kids lost everything that wasn't cast iron. Renter's insurance? Not a dime of it. I hope they're smarter now. He's lucky they had a lot of generous relatives and neighbors to get them back on their feet.:S

They don't have to unplug everything... just flip the breaker switches off!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep the heat on, set low, and everything else off via the breaker box. :)

*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

the real issue is what they do when they return, the apt probably has a heat pump, if they come in and move the T-stat to (let's say) 68 then the heat strips will come on and eliminate a weeks worth of savings

Probably no heat pump, just baseboard radiant. And I disagree with your basic tenet that the cost to reheat will exceed the savings. Direct baseboard heat is about 100% efficient, and any time spent not radiating excess heat out of the apartment will save some money. Reheating the environment will take less energy overall than keeping it heated, and losing energy to the outside, during the absence.

Good idea to shut off the water heater, though.

Dear John - stick to seperating flying metal :)

You may be right about the heat source. If so, then how they turn it back on doesn't matter.

I didn't say that the cost to reheat would exceed the (total) savings. If I had said that then you would be correct.

What I said was it would equal "a weeks worth of savings", purely a guess. A typical heat pump (no such thing) can "make" 2.5 units of heat for each $1 of operating cost. Strip heat or baseboard heat makes 1 unit of heat for $1. So the heat pump is considerably more economical. Heat pumps merely move heat from one place to another.

For most heat pumps and thermostats, if you raise the temp more than 2 degrees it will cause the heat strips to energize.
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

...the real issue is what they do when they return, the apt probably has a heat pump, if they come in and move the T-stat to (let's say) 68 then the heat strips will come on and eliminate a weeks worth of savings

this is a pain but they need to move the T-stat 1-2 degrees at a time, let the temperature catch up, then move it again until they get to the desired set point

the walls, furniture, and everything else will take a couple days to reheat and the place will feel cold

I don't agree with that. I routinely put my T-stat at 50 when I'm gone for more than a couple days.

When I get back, I put it right to 64 (nomal daytime setting).

I have an oil-burner, and when I go from 50 to 64 it will fire up, run for a while, the burner will shut down while the fan keeps going (normal). But before the fan shuts down, the burner usually kicks back on due to the walls, furniture and everything else being cold.
It probably takes about 6-8 hours for everything to completely warm back up (getting into a bed with 2 blankets and a down comforter isn't a whole lot of fun, inuslation works both ways:o), but I burn considerable less fuel than I would if I left it up all the time I am gone. I've neglected to turn it down a couple times and the difference is pretty significant.

Mr. Joe - if the guy had an oil burner I would suggest that he do exactly what you are doing.

My comments were related to the operation of a HEAT PUMP not a furnace.

Just in case there is any additional confusion. An OIL FURNACE and a HEAT PUMP are two completely different types of technology. :)

As for the reheating of the structure. If you are gone 2-5 days the structure may not cool off to much, depends on the outdoor temp. These guys will be gone 3-4 weeks, the structure temp can change considerably. How much depends on the outdoor temp, inside temp, and surrounding apt units.
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

My family has a summer cottage on the eastern coast of lake michigan... it's almost completely uninsulated and is only heated by a fireplace in the main room of the house along with space heaters... It gets quite cold in the winter but the cottage is designed such that all the water can be either blown out or drained out of the system to preven the pipes from freezing in the winter.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

we live at 3000 feet, it freezes alot in the winter. we are also brokers, and are dealing with hundreds of vacant homes (repos), and I winterize homes....so....this is what I have been told to do.
Shut off water. Place zip tie and label on valve warning not to turn back on.
Shut off power source to water heater (gas or elec) and label the water heater as to not be turned back on until filled. Drain water heater.
Drain all water from pipes by opening valves AND blowing air with a compressor through pipes. Leave valves open. Place non hazardous antifreeze in all traps, dishwasher, and laundry.
If power is on, set thermostat to 50. If power is off, thermostat/heater is off.
Place labels to warn that house has been winterized. but, this also serves as a sign saying "hi bad guys, this house is empty, come on in and take the light fixtures, appliances, door hardware, electrical wiring, and anything else you need to sell for crack."

They don't have to unplug everything... just flip the breaker switches off!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep the heat on, set low, and everything else off via the breaker box.

I think that's what he's decided to do. He's already home, but his 2 roommates will still be there until Friday. He has to count on them to not turn the heat off!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

They don't have to unplug everything... just flip the breaker switches off!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep the heat on, set low, and everything else off via the breaker box.

I think that's what he's decided to do. He's already home, but his 2 roommates will still be there until Friday. He has to count on them to not turn the heat off!

nothing says "we are not home" like shutting everything off. we have timers for lights and radio when we leave.

I wouldn't even unplug the fridge.... > ...It's not really an energy drain in the winter for an electrically heated space, since it puts 100% of the power it uses back into the room as heat. It basically does the same job as a baseboard heater.

I've just now found my winter home heating solution, to avoid the escalating (gas in one home, oil in the other) home heating energy costs. ...Walls of Fridges stocked with beer, and simply turn that gas valve (oil supply) all the way OFF. - BRILLIANT! B|

Thanks John, for the valuable tip!!
coitus non circum - Moab Stone