warpedskydiver

Anyone ever relined a motorcycle helmet?

I have a Sukhoi Helmet (AGV) that I love and it has a Kevlar shell. Snell and Dot4

I want to replace all the padding as it has disintegrated and I want to be able to wash the pads or swap out when they get sweaty.

Would you velcro in some new pads with covers?

Any helpful suggestions are welcome.

A replacement for it is well over $800

When Bitwell, and a few other helmet companies, jumped on the "old school" kick and started selling those vintage "Bell" style motorcycle helmets they relined and repainted for major bucks I got sick.

I remember when our old jump club purchased all new Cooper helmets for our student operation in the 1980s and we threw at least 50 of those old Bell helmets into a dumpster . . . :S

http://www.oldschoolhelmets.webs.com/

NickD :)

When Bitwell, and a few other helmet companies, jumped on the "old school" kick and started selling those vintage "Bell" style motorcycle helmets they relined and repainted for major bucks I got sick.

I remember when our old jump club purchased all new Cooper helmets for our student operation in the 1980s and we threw at least 50 of those old Bell helmets into a dumpster . . . :S

http://www.oldschoolhelmets.webs.com/

those 3/4 helmets seem to be making a come back, I'll go full face before I go 3/4...Until then, I'll stick with my accent half lid!

I have a Sukhoi Helmet (AGV) that I love and it has a Kevlar shell. Snell and Dot4

I want to replace all the padding as it has disintegrated and I want to be able to wash the pads or swap out when they get sweaty.

Hello,
I've a question for you. What are you going to use it for? If you want to use it to ride with. I'd suggest not doing so. The cork compresses after about five years. It will no longer protect you in an impact. Regardless of how spiffy you make the liner look.

If you want to jump w/it. Sky systems sells new replacement liner kits for around $20 a pop. Buying one or two of those should yield good results.

Randy, are you going to relineit with dacron or spectra ????

:D:D:D

With his noggin probably vectran.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

Hello,
I've a question for you. What are you going to use it for? If you want to use it to ride with. I'd suggest not doing so. The cork compresses after about five years. It will no longer protect you in an impact. Regardless of how spiffy you make the liner look.

If you want to jump w/it. Sky systems sells new replacement liner kits for around $20 a pop. Buying one or two of those should yield good results.

Cork?

This is a motorcycle helmet for racing purposes.

It is a design that keeps your head from wanting to create lift, sort of important at over 160mph.

I'll see if I can find a pic of one.

The entire front of the helmet is sloped drastically backwards and the bottom front has an airdam to keep it down.

The original shape design of the helmet was done in conjunction with the development of the SU-27 fighter.

This is the exact helmet, except I peeled the Pussy pink stuff off:P

It is getting painted again and relined with some really nice padding.

If any of you are into aerodynamics you can appreciate the design.

If I could not refurbish it I would probably get an Arai

"Cork?

This is a motorcycle helmet for racing purposes.

It is a design that keeps your head from wanting to create lift, sort of important at over 160mph.

I'll see if I can find a pic of one.

The entire front of the helmet is sloped drastically backwards and the bottom front has an airdam to keep it down.

The original shape design of the helmet was done in conjunction with the development of the SU-27 fighter.

This is the exact helmet, except I peeled the Pussy pink stuff offTongue

It is getting painted again and relined with some really nice padding.

If any of you are into aerodynamics you can appreciate the design.

If I could not refurbish it I would probably get an Arai"

Yes, cork. I've road raced MCs, & ridden on the road for many years. Unless they've switched to a new material. The standard material used is cork. It lines the shell below the cloth/padding liner. It's why you're not supposed to rest your helmet on the bike's mirror (it compresses the cork). It's also why you should replace your helmet every five years. Look around the Net, & see for yourself. Cork is an important component to help decelerate your brain in an impact.

No cork in this one, it is a synthetic foam.

The shell has never had an impact and given the composite/Kevlar construction it will last.

Did you look around the Net for what I'm getting at? Cork or foam, it will compress from simply wearing the helmet. Add sweat & oils, & the protection goes away. Many race tracks won't allow a helmet that is more than five years old for this very reason. Just trying to look out for you, friend. You do what you want. There has actually been a surprising (for me, anyway) move away from the Snell certification. Have you read anything about this? The standard is considered by some head trauma experts as being too hard. A softer helmet will flex a bit on impact. Thereby softening the blow. A hard shell w/degraded cork/foam/whatever? No Thanks.

The shell has never had an impact and given the composite/Kevlar construction it will last.

Most manufactures have not used cork in quite a while.
The styrofoam type impact material works on a similar princple though, all helmets have a shelf life of "optimal" protection.

the helmet you pctiured, should be able to be reline with material from AGV, I think they will have a liner from a newer model helmet that can be easily "Modded" to suit yours.
The new padding and materials in helemets is far superior than the older types.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Did you look around the Net for what I'm getting at? Cork or foam, it will compress from simply wearing the helmet. Add sweat & oils, & the protection goes away. Many race tracks won't allow a helmet that is more than five years old for this very reason. Just trying to look out for you, friend. You do what you want. There has actually been a surprising (for me, anyway) move away from the Snell certification. Have you read anything about this? The standard is considered by some head trauma experts as being too hard. A softer helmet will flex a bit on impact. Thereby softening the blow. A hard shell w/degraded cork/foam/whatever? No Thanks.

Ack, I been wearing the same helmet since 1974!and it was made in teh 40's..:o (hangin on the mirror)
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v400/onekick/illinois/?action=view&current=024.jpg

When I was at that Toy run last weekend I was parked next to a RUB who dropped his helmet off his handlebars, and he said, "Damn, guess I'll have to buy another one now." When I asked him why he said any blow to the helmet can compromise its integrity!

I'm not anti-helmet but I rode a Harley for years in So Cal before there was a helmet law in California. But in those days most bike accidents were self induced and not the result of today's overly distracted cage drivers.

But man, I wouldn't buy another helmet after a four foot drop. Or even after swinging it around in a bar fight! LOL!

"Damn, guess I'll have to buy another one now." When I asked him why he said any blow to the helmet can compromise its integrity!

He is right. The protection of a modern helmet is a combination of the shell and EPS (expanded poly styrene) foam liner absorbing the impact. If either one is comprimised, so is the ultimate performance of the helmet.

The 'common knowledge' is that a helmet involved in a crash, where both systems are used, is now junk and should be retired. To that end, any helmet that sustains damage that cracks the shell, or compacts the foam liner, should also be retired. If a 4 foot drop is enough to fracture the shell is another story.

Of course, you're dealing with a RUB who was probably looking for an excuse to buy a new lid to match his new jacket. That other jacket was so 'last season' and it needed to be replaced. Now he'll have a helmet to match, and all he needs is a repaint on the bike to complete the look.

Ack, I been wearing the same helmet since 1974!and it was made in teh 40's..:o (hangin on the mirror)
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v400/onekick/illinois/?action=view&current=024.jpg

No worries. That ridiculous beanie baby cap will come right off in a accident, anyway.

I used to have its predecessor. But my current is an HJC (not a high-end brand), but it fits my head absolutely perfectly, as though it were custom made. No other helmet has ever fit as well.

I just love having cheap tastes :D

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)