AggieDave

Please suggest a good book

It reminded me of a more recent novel The Afghan.
Great reading, but also very educational.

LOVED that book!

I also like Jeffrey Archer. He writes a lot of spy/conspiracy fiction stuff, but I most recently enjoyed Paths of Glory, a non-fiction telling of George Mallory's life and attempts to climb Mt. Everest.

ETA: just finished Dennis Lehane's Shutter Island. The movie did not look appealing to me, so I don't know how it compares, but I was pleasantly surprised by the book. It's a little slow at times, not sure where it's going or why, but it all wraps up in the end. Suddenly, what seemed like dry details fit together into a nicely thought out picture.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

Sonny Barger?:ph34r:

I've read them, except his new one. Same with the outcast Bandito stuff and the undercover and alone stuff.

Oh and Swervey, you got me, when you said Andrews I was thinking of someone else.:$
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I've always been a huge Michael Crichton fan.They found a finished but unpublished manuscript of his after his death which was a complete departure from his normal topics and it was a fun read.

I was till his last few books ... then I thought he really jumped the shark. Next was almost unreadable.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I have a few weeks until the new Vince Flynn book comes out. Another (nearly) two months until the new Clancy book comes out, so I'm in need of a good book(s) or author.

Here are a few authors or books I've enjoyed recently to give you an idea of what to suggest:

Vince Flynn (read all of it)
Brad Thor (read all of it)
Tom Clancy (read all of it)
Tolkien (read all of it)
Harry Potter series (read all of it)
Patriots (coming collapse)
Day by Day Armageddon (and the sequel)
Morning Star Strain
World War Z
Lee Child (read all of it)
Webb
Baldacci (sp?)
Under and Alone

Lots of non-fiction current events, history, biography and military history.
Also a lot of the standard American and historic classics. Also quite a few "true crime" books.

So right now I'm stuck and am looking for a new author. I like to find a new writer and read everything they've written before I move on. The clerks at Barnes and Noble and the suggestions at Amazon are out of ideas, so please help me.

Books that I have read recently and enjoyed:
Shop craft as soulcraft - Interesting view on the modern world.

Crazy Storm Survival Amazing true story of an 11 year old surviving a plane crash and walking out.

Bridge Across Forever - Read this book about 15 years ago and due for a re-read.

Illusions Same author and I enjoyed this to.

Other than that Scott Peck(Road less Travelled is interesting, so it People of the Lie), and books about a major recent military event from various perspectives including an interesting book by Hans Blix.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Ken Folletts Pillars of the Earth if you like epic stories that evolve around real history.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Have you read "The Company" by Robert Littell? It is very long, but very good. Fiction novel about the CIA, but it has some historically real events mixed in.

I'm counting the days until Vince Flynn's new book. Hadn't heard about Clancy's new one...now I'll look for it.

You and me both!

My little man turned 7 months old today, as of yesterday he was 22lbs 3oz and 30.5in. He takes after his momma. :D:D

Sorry couldn't let that go!:D:o:D:ph34r: Hell, at this rate he will be as tall as mamma in 7 more months!:D

For books, other than what you have read already, I would go with J's suggestion of Ted Bell. I read some of his stuff a couple years ago and really liked it. I need to get my hands on a couple more also.:)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

For fiction - which I don't read much of - I just finished Steig Larsson's Millennium trilogy (The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played With Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest) and really loved them all.

I second that. Outstanding books. Each one stands alone, but together they make a complete story.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I know you are probably not interested, but a good book that would teach you a thing or two is

'Cognitive Infliltration' by David Ray Griffin.

http://www.amazon.com/Cognitive-Infiltration-Appointees-Undermine-Conspiracy/dp/1566568218

But I know 'fiction' is more your 'cup of tea'.

It will give you some insight into what will be in the headlines over the coming months.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I know you are probably not interested, but a good book that would teach you a thing or two is

'Cognitive Infliltration' by David Ray Griffin.

http://www.amazon.com/Cognitive-Infiltration-Appointees-Undermine-Conspiracy/dp/1566568218

But I know 'fiction' is more your 'cup of tea'.

It will give you some insight into what will be in the headlines over the coming months.

Why the fuck did I even consider opening that.:S

I knew it was a 9-11 conspiracy stupidity. I guess my faith in humanity was overwhelming a little more than my sensibility toward lunacy.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Cabinets of Curiosity by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. Damn good murder mystery that takes place in NYC.:)
If you are looking for a true adventure book that is written very well, read Blind Corners by Geoff Tabin. This guy has been all over the world and has a great writing style that will keep you in the game!:)

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

+1 for Bujold (Vorkosigan books)

David Weber's "Honor Harrington" series (Hornblower in space)

Larry Correia's "Monster Hunter" books (fun read, lots of guns and explosions)

Michael Z. Williamson's "Freehold" books (Earth girl goes to a planet of Libertarians)

Jim Butcher's "Harry Dresden" books
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

for non-fiction, I suggest a little book called "DUCY: Exploits, Advice, and Ideas of the Renowned Strategist" by David Sklansky and Alan Schoonmaker. Now, these guys normally write books about poker, but this one is different. Basically, it's a book about how Sklansky applies math,logic, probability and psychology to a host of real world problems, big and small. It is REALLY interesting.

Fiction: Try John Fenzel's The Lazarus Covenant. He's a fellow skydiver, it's his first novel, and it's a really fun read from someone who knows wtf he's talking about.

Also, if you haven't read George RR Martin's series (starting with A Game of Thrones) I would HIGHLY recommend it. It's in a class by itself, something i would call "political fantasy", and it's outstanding. Only downside is it's not finished...
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Thanks for the idea on DUCY; I just finished "The Drunkard's Walk" (about the effect of randomness on our lives), and this sounds like the perfect next step.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)