AggieDave

Please suggest a good book

I have a few weeks until the new Vince Flynn book comes out. Another (nearly) two months until the new Clancy book comes out, so I'm in need of a good book(s) or author.

Here are a few authors or books I've enjoyed recently to give you an idea of what to suggest:

Vince Flynn (read all of it)
Brad Thor (read all of it)
Tom Clancy (read all of it)
Tolkien (read all of it)
Harry Potter series (read all of it)
Patriots (coming collapse)
Day by Day Armageddon (and the sequel)
Morning Star Strain
World War Z
Lee Child (read all of it)
Webb
Baldacci (sp?)
Under and Alone

Lots of non-fiction current events, history, biography and military history.
Also a lot of the standard American and historic classics. Also quite a few "true crime" books.

So right now I'm stuck and am looking for a new author. I like to find a new writer and read everything they've written before I move on. The clerks at Barnes and Noble and the suggestions at Amazon are out of ideas, so please help me.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

If you haven't read them yet -

Isaac Asimov, specifically the Foundation series.

Philip Jose Farmer, specifically the Riverworld series.

Piers Anthony, specifically the Incarnations of Immortality series.

Malcolm Gladwell. All of his books are good, but I thought Blink and Outliers were excellent.

As a new parent I'm finding a whole new appreciation for Dr. Seuss :)
If you're looking for something a little different, an entertaining look inside a twisted mind, check out the books by Chuck Palahniuk. For page turning historical fiction try Pillars of the Earth and World without End by Ken Follett. Another good one is The Betrothed by Alessandro Manzoni.

As a new parent I'm finding a whole new appreciation for Dr. Seuss :)

You and me both!

My little man turned 7 months old today, as of yesterday he was 22lbs 3oz and 30.5in. He takes after his momma.:D:D

Nelson DeMille or David Baldacci will work if you liked the Brad Thor books. I like Alex Bernson's books. Start with The Faithful Spy.

Read all of them. I've read pretty much all of DeMille and some Baldacci. Baldacci and Bernson were "ok."

I read a few of the Baldacci novels at the suggestion
of a woman I know. (He writes very strong, complex female characters.)

They appeal because he is not afraid to let something
happen to the main characters.

Tonight, Christopher Walken is in an old movie, Dogs of War. The movie flavor of a Frederick Forsythe's novel.
It reminded me of a more recent novel The Afghan.
Great reading, but also very educational.

Oh, that looks interesting, I haven't read him yet. Ok, one of his books has been ordered.

Any other author or books to be suggested?

One of, if not my very favorite is The Alienist by Caleb Carr. Historical fiction based in turn of the century NYC. Serial killer loose in NYC during a period while Theodore Roosevelt was president of the police board.

I LOVE the writing, and reading that for the first time got me interested in Roosevelt. After starting to read more about him I realized just how historically based much of the book was. I have since read into several other figures mentioned and really gained interest in that period of history.

There is a sequel called Angel of Darkness.
Killing threads since 2004.

For fiction - which I don't read much of - I just finished Steig Larsson's Millennium trilogy (The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played With Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest) and really loved them all.

For non-fiction (most of what I've been reading in the last few years), I've enjoyed all of Michael Pollan's books. Recently I read Blind Descent: The Quest to Discover the Deepest Place on Earth by James Tabor - a really cool look into another "extreme" sport, mega-cave exploration.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Sonny Barger?:ph34r:

Hell's Angel was a great book!

Try War and Peace. I've been trying to get through it for 6 years.

I Remember Woody - About OSU football coach Woody Hayes. It isn't a football book and will make you think of how good a person can be.

Philosophy and The Simpsons - A cool simplified version of philosphy explaining it through the characters of The Simpsons.

For fiction - Anything by Elmore Leonard is usually pretty awesome.
It's time for my nightly ritual: Pleasure myself, weep, and repeat.

Isaac Asimov, specifically the Foundation series.

I loved that series. Isaac had a fictional time line of galactic history in mind when he wrote all of his books. They make for a very coherent story line, very intelligent, very thought provoking.

I've not read much fiction recently, There are just too many amazing true stories to go through. "Endurance", the Shackleford expedition to the Antarctic, is an amazing story of human endurance, truly the age of wooden ships and iron men.

"Longitude" is a fantastic look at how necessity is the mother of invention in any age. Chris Jones's "Too Far From Home" is a great story of perseverance in the age of space stations and humans trying to adapt to life in orbit. Bill Bryson's travelogues are humorous and touching all at the same time.

For a look at the continuing contest between science and religion, a conflict as relevant today as ever, pick up "The Ascent of Science." That one has a permanent home on my book shelf for philosophical reference.

Hope I haven't gone on too long. :)