hcsvader

Quitting smoking

I've decided its finally time for me to quit. I went and spoke to my doctor today and he recommended champix.
I have a few friends who have sucessfully quit using it. Anyone here ever used it? any advice would be awesome!
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

I used the gum.

What it came down to was understanding that you will never be an ex-smoker. You will only be a smoker who isn't smoking. The road to being a smoker again is one puff away. One puff will quickly become one pack, will quickly become a carton, will become a life time.

Man up, use some help if you need it (gum, etc), but remember that it comes down to YOU. Its been since the beginning of July for me.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I used it last year and it did help me quit...made cigs taste like shit...only trouble was once I stopped taking it I started smoking again.

Then on in July I quit cold turkey and have not smoke since

Like Aggie Dave said it is all about you!:|

Bry

--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

What it came down to was understanding that you will never be an ex-smoker. You will only be a smoker who isn't smoking.

Wow.. Really?? That's tough, man..

I took a "drugs and behaviour" class at university.. Apparently, the number one hardest addiction to beat is food addiction, because you *have* to eat and overeating so easily ensues.. And the *second* hardest is smoking. Harder to kick than alcohol or heroin or any other drug.. Lots of theories on it - including the whole social aspect of smoking.. Because smokers tend to have smoker friends (because they all hang-out at the same place, etc..).. Breaking the habit may require breaking some lifestyle patterns as well..

I'm glad I never started.. :| I think the only reason I didn't is because I couldn't bear the thought of going outside several times per day during the cold Canadian months!!!

I really wouldn't know what it's like, but in any case I wish you the best of luck.. Hope you keep with it.. Maybe find something that motivates you.. Reminding yourself of that regularly could help?? It can't hurt..
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

I used the gum.

What it came down to was understanding that you will never be an ex-smoker. You will only be a smoker who isn't smoking.

Interesting in light of the fact that not too long ago someone on one of these forums was asking if he was still a skydiver even though he hadn't jumped in a while.
The general consensus was ,No!
He was a former skydiver or an ex-skydiver. He definately was not and should not consider himself to be a "skydiver".

But a smoker can never be an "ex-smoker'?

I take exception to that statement!
As a matter of fact ,I find that statement to be fundamentally flawed!
As an ex smoker myself I realize that between the times one puts out a cigarette and lights the next one , essentially and by definition , that person is a *non-smoker*.
Also I realise that in the time period between the last jump and the next jump(even if it is within the time it takes to throw on another rig and meet the plane) each of us is an ex- or former skydiver.

Don't tell me about what cha "gonna' do".

When you're not actually in the air you ain't no skydiver and if you ain't got no fag in your mouth you ain't a smoker.

Blues,
Cliff

2muchTruth

I had several failed attempts to quit smoking using hypnosis, gum, patches etc.

During that time, I met several successful quitters who told me they used Alan Carr's Quit Smoking book and it worked like magic. I was totally skeptical and never bothered even picking it up.

Finally, I downloaded the audio book to my ipod. It told me to keep smoking while I listened and by the end of it I would magically be a non-smoker and never feel like smoking again. I was still skeptical.

It worked. I don't know how or why, but I haven't even had a craving since finishing that audio book nearly 6 months ago. Been through all the danger times and have not found it difficult at all - I haven't even felt like I've had to 'resist' anything.

So yeah, I am the greatest skeptic turned greatest convert. Best 7 quid I ever spent.

Breaking the habit may require breaking some lifestyle patterns as well..

I think this is definatly a huge part of it. I chose this time to quit because I will be getting laid off soon and will be taking a long time away from work. I smoke ALOT at work.
I would like to learn more about what kind of changes in behaviour, lifestyle etc could help with quitting.
Have you seen my pants?

I had several failed attempts to quit smoking using hypnosis, gum, patches etc.

During that time, I met several successful quitters who told me they used Alan Carr's Quit Smoking book and it worked like magic. I was totally skeptical and never bothered even picking it up.

Finally, I downloaded the audio book to my ipod. It told me to keep smoking while I listened and by the end of it I would magically be a non-smoker and never feel like smoking again. I was still skeptical.

It worked. I don't know how or why, but I haven't even had a craving since finishing that audio book nearly 6 months ago. Been through all the danger times and have not found it difficult at all - I haven't even felt like I've had to 'resist' anything.

So yeah, I am the greatest skeptic turned greatest convert. Best 7 quid I ever spent.

http://www.vertor.com/torrents/578108/The-Easy-Way-to-Stop-Smoking-pdf

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5097340/The_Easy_Way_(Easyway)_To_Stop_Smoking_-_Allen_Carr

Reading it now, I will report back!

That's because most of the non-smokers that I know still have hard cravings to smoke. Even years later. Its will power. If I start smoking again it will be because I was weak and it will be my fault.

That ex-skydiver thread revolved around someone not having the desire to jump again.

See, that's why I stayed away from drugs when in high school and college. I know me and know that if I even smoked weed once I would do it 5x10^1647 times. Maybe that's why I jump so much.:D

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

http://www.vertor.com/torrents/578108/The-Easy-Way-to-Stop-Smoking-pdf

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5097340/The_Easy_Way_(Easyway)_To_Stop_Smoking_-_Allen_Carr

Reading it now, I will report back!

Just gave the contents a quick look. It looks like a good read. Ill have to pick up a copy. thanks for the link!
Have you seen my pants?

It is, actually, CHANTIX...;)

I've tried to quit twice. First time it was 5 years ago and I quit cold turkey after 20 years of smoking. Did not smoke for year and half. Second time I quit exactly 2 month ago with that thing. Tried cold turkey again and could not handle it. With Chantix it was relatively easy. It is really suppresses all nicotine cravings and helps to quit. I was taking that thing for 4 weeks only, stopped to take it only because I started to forget to take it and I still have 1 standard of that thing left.

I'd say go for it. But remember, mental readiness is a must.

Carr's reading is a bullshit. :S

1st rule of not smoking

DONT BUY THEM

SERIOUSLY the ammount of people who say they are quitting while holding smokes is amazing.

i stopped cold turkey (20-30 per day) 12 yrs ago, it was harder then giving up booze or drugs. but the 1st thing you need to do is NOT BUY THEM
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

...and masturbate whenever you feel like smoking. It's much better, and healthier too!

hahaha nice dinner cup of coffee, flop out the togger and spank like mad.
dont forget to tip your watiress:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

First, do as Squeak said and don't buy them. I quit cold turkey two years, two months, eight days, thirteen hours and twenty minutes ago. I think by keeping track of minutes, hours, days, weeks, months and years has helped a lot and keeps me challenged to keep going.

I do agree with Aggie Dave that I don't consider myself an ex smoker, just someone who isn't smoking at this particular moment in time. Seldom do I get an urge for a smoke anymore but when i do, that old time since I quit thing clicks in my head and that urge goes away but I don't think it'll ever completely go away.

Used the same gimmick to quit drinking two months, eighteen days, 10 hours and 12 minutes ago. :)

The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

+1 IMO.
I quit Cold Turkey 5 years ago from 1-1.5 pack a day. Still have cravings from time to time. [:/]
dudeist skydiver #42