NickDG

The Power of Photography . . .

Being a photo-journalist back in my military days I try and keep up with the field by following some of the award winning stuff coming out. Right now I'm looking at the Nikon-Walkley Awards and there's some terrific art here.

But two photos especially struck me.

The first is of a great sailor named Jessica Watson (not to be confused with the ill prepared Abby Sunderland) slamming her way towards the Aussie coast during her successful solo trip around the world.

But the second photograph really tore me up. It depicts a mentally ill man in Indonesia and the caption partially reads;

>>In Indonesia, there are none who suffer the agony of the mentally ill who are chained and shackled in their homes by their families, or in state-run hospitals and shelters. It is a peculiar kind of torture where people in the most fragile states are kept locked up in the most deplorable fashion, often for many years, even decades.<<

So, I guess my point is, as human beings when are we going to knock this crap off?

The entire collection of award winners are here:
http://www.news.com.au/pictures/gallery-e6frflv9-1225938786041?page=1

NickD :|

So, I guess my point is, as human beings when are we going to knock this crap off?

Never. Civilized society is but an illusion wrapped around our eyes to prevent us from seeing the reality. Most people, when left to their own devices will revert to their feral animal states and act accordingly.

There is no reason to have any faith in humanity.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

Not to ignore the somber spirit of this thread so far, but that first shot looks to be the ultimate, "Here dude hold my beer, and watch this" , Photo..
http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2010/10/15/1225939/024964-nikon-walkley-2010.jpg

Wow :oB|

My kid ruined the illusion the second he looked at it, He said the wave is probably close, to the lens and the cliff distant!

Damn Teenagers...

Not to ignore the somber spirit of this thread so far, but that first shot looks to be the ultimate, "Here dude hold my beer, and watch this" , Photo..
http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2010/10/15/1225939/024964-nikon-walkley-2010.jpg

Wow :oB|

My kid ruined the illusion the second he looked at it, He said the wave is probably close, to the lens and the cliff distant!

Damn Teenagers...

That's why I never watch "The Making of ...". Totally ruined the Muppets for me :D

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Never. Civilized society is but an illusion wrapped around our eyes to prevent us from seeing the reality. Most people, when left to their own devices will revert to their feral animal states and act accordingly.

There is no reason to have any faith in humanity.

All hope is not lost.

aloha.

The second pic is not much different than what we did here in mental health not ALL that long ago...up through the 50's for sure, into the 60's. Wasn't until the 80's when there was a push for deinstitutionization that people with mental illness were REALLY treated as fully human.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I wish i had a camera the day a friend disappeared below the rooftop of the hanger with nothing out.

This was in the late 1980s

I was fairly close so the angle of sight was upwards but it had to be around 200-250ft.

We ran to the other side to find him gathering his canopy up and laughing.:S

Amazingly he got away with it too.B|

If anyone knows who I am talking about (RIP) you know it is the truth.:o

I can only think of three people who would do something like that and survive.

The other two are living.

Another cool pic would have been during the winter storms of 1983 on the coast of central CA.

I was standing at Stillwell Hall nearly at the edge of the cliff and the waves were the largest I had ever seen, in pictures or in person.

A Sailor from the Presidio was with us and the waves were actually rolling a bit higher than the cliffs. He said in all his years at sea he never witnessed something like that.

As you might know Monterrey bay is very deep and basically a gigantic canyon going out the the sea floor.

So when these waves got very close to shore the ground rises rapidly, adding a huge amount of height to the waves.

As it got worse we had to get away from edge, even though it was all granite, the earth was shaking like an earthquake with every wave.

It made us all feel extremely small and insignificant.