ltdiver

SoCal Flooding

Hey I made a typo, it is 95% of modified proctor scale.

Just don't want to disseminate bad info.

yep, last house i built i had to bring up the elevation 12 feet on one side of the pad. compaction tests every 2 feet had to be at least 95%. i remember back in college in my soils class doing the sand cone tests, fun stuff!

Hey I made a typo, it is 95% of modified proctor scale.

Just don't want to disseminate bad info.

yep, last house i built i had to bring up the elevation 12 feet on one side of the pad. compaction tests every 2 feet had to be at least 95%. i remember back in college in my soils class doing the sand cone tests, fun stuff!

When the Perris Bar was built, they compacted for at least two weeks, hauling triuck load after truck load of dirt froim "somewhere" ....

Strangest damn thing too....the canals bank kept getting shorter........[:/]

All those nice big Glaciers that melted away only 15000 years ago or so left a mess there as they did here.

I had a chance to buy a really pretty house to the east of my on the Skykomish River. It was gorgeous, and would have been a wonderful home. It had not flooded since it was originally built in the early 1980's. BUT ... It sat on the river in a big BEND of the river. It is only a matter of time till the river does its thing. One Hawaiian Express after another early winter of heavy snowfall in the high country ( we are talking up to 20 ft or more usually )and the house and all the neighbors in the "Big Bend" will go away.

You can't help but wonder what some people were thinking when they either bought, or built in some area's![:/] Like building homes on the shores off the Mo. river...:S

We have a large wash just south of here where they *still* insist on building houses.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

My niece and her husband and 2 kids are renting a house in San Diego while their newly purchased house is renovated. Their very first house (just moved here from the east coast).

The rental has started to flood the downstairs and alot of their stuff is now ruined. Seems the rental was built over a spring! Real frustrating, especially since their own house isn't ready to be inhabited. Too much work to be done on their 'fixer-upper'. They're storing stuff in the garage there now, though!

>We have a large wash just south of here where they *still* insist on
>building houses.

Yep - because people keep buying them. And 99% of the time it's a good deal. It's that 1% of the time that gets you.

Doing a little research on the inland Empire's history of flooding and found this web site! Wow! The read is mind-boggling!
http://www.insidetheie.com/1969-inland-empire-flood

At the bottom of this article is what I was looking for, and the explanation of why our wash was flooding by an over 10 foot wall of water marching down the wash, all at once. What a story!

I knew an old Forest Service employee who had taken a crew of men upriver for some field work the day the Santa Ana went wild in '38, destroying the highway. They had to find their way out of the mountains on foot, along the sides of the canyon, taking several days to get back to the valley.
One result of the '69 flood that not many people even in Yucaipa know about could be described as a freak occurrence. It started in Oak Glen, above the apple orchards, where a the face of a hill had for centuries enroded down the center, depositing soil against a massive boulder. The accumulation of soil eventually enveloped the boulder, leaving a somewhat level area on the uphill side of it. That level area in the lower reaches of the hillside slowed the water draining down its little ravine, producing a sort of natural settling basin. Well, by the day AFTER the '69 flood, a huge area of those lower reaches of that hillside had reached the saturation point. Liquefaction had occurred, but the liquid mud couldn't go any place because that massive boulder was trapping it in its natural underground basin. Then came the decisive moment when the weight of the liquified soil popped that huge boulder out of the ground, opening the floodgates to a river that burst through Bob Bice's apple trees, sending a several-feet-high wall of mud flowing eventually through Wildwood Canyon clear to I-10, permanently changing the terrain on the north side of the freeway opposite the Live Oak Ranch east of Live Oak Canyon Road. That day a number of people had gone to look at Wildwood Canyon to see how much flooding and damage had occurred where several of Yucaipa's streets cross it. Consequently they were standing there surveying the canyon when the spectacle of that wall of mud came marching down the chasm, enveloping buildings halfway up their windows.
I could go on and on, but I did want you to be aware that 1938 and 1862 were the most major floods in recorded history of the valley.

Again, wow!

>building houses.

Yep - because people keep buying them. And 99% of the time it's a good deal. It's that 1% of the time that gets you.

You're basically in my area, (last I heard, same town)

Poeple are NUTS for where they build around here....

Myself, I want to buy out in Crest...:)

>building houses.

I love washes...I lived on one while in Santa Clarita...great times, wonderful place to live...Crazy people,...we had an event almost every night of the week (primarily auto shows and blues bands)...sometimes it got a little too crazy....like when we'd run away and lose the cops in the wash...nothing like a high speed chase in a dry river!:D

Edit:
ok, ok...there was one time I was convicted spritually and had to give up the chase....they ask me why did you stop, you could've gotten away?

I said that the Bible said that I'm supposed to sumit to authority...so I stopped...

They beat the shit out of me and spayed a full can pepper spreay in my eye but they let me go...that's what I call Justice...:D
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

>building houses.

I love washes...I lived on one while in Santa Clarita...great times, wonderful place to live...Crazy people,...we had an event almost every night of the week (primarily auto shows and blues bands)...sometimes it got a little too crazy....like when we'd run away and lose the cops in the wash...nothing like a high speed chase in a dry river!:D

Edit:
ok, ok...there was one time I was convicted spritually and had to give up the chase....they ask me why did you stop, you could've gotten away?

I said that the Bible said that I'm supposed to sumit to authority...so I stopped...

They beat the shit out of me and spayed a full can pepper spreay in my eye but they let me go...that's what I call Justice...:D

Bottles not empty yet?;)

Wow, the Press Enterprise is in such dire financial straits they are resorting to, "Buy photos of yourself being rescued"

http://gallery.pictopia.com/pressenterprise/e/?photo_name=36WEATHER23sld.jpg&t_url=%2Fmultimedia%2Fslideshow%2F2010%2F20101223_storm%2Fimages%2F36WEATHER23sld.jpg

And they've got the chutzpah to say, "Just in time for the holidays . . ."

NickD :)