ltdiver

SoCal Flooding

It's been raining pretty dang hard the past week here in SoCal. On top of that, news reports point to a powerful thunderstorm hitting tonight.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40762935/ns/weather/

Just got home and there's a flood watch bulletin on my answering machine. First one that's ever been broadcast in this area. Sheriff will call if it upgrades to mandatory.

How's other folks property doing? Any evacuations yet?

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

been under flash flood warnings up here in the high desert...even had the KTLA news chopper up here showing the Mojave river which is flowing strong. other than that, just some flooded intersections in town.

The just started evacuating here in La Crescenta. Also in La Canada/Flintridge. But so far not our block.
We are all right below the burn areas from the Station Fire and you probably recall me going on about this last year. They said then it would be at least five years before the vegetation root systems became deep and hearty enough to hold the soil during these week long storms.

NickD :)

I live south of Perris off the 215 about the same latitude as Elsinore. . .It never stopped raining here. Thank goodness this is a newer neighborhood with all the new drainage systems.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

have been wondering about that as well....[:/]

we think 11 or 12 inches of SNOW,, is an issue, and you folks are getting that much rain....Yikes..
the news said 17 FEET of snow in the Sierras!!!... OMG. How do you handle THAT??
i seem to recall reading, years ago , that lake Elsinore rose to the point of impacting the DZ there....
am Hoping,,, for sure. that this system ends. and soon...
hell,, send it east... we'll take some of it's fury....... in order to spare YOU.
good luck

jt

My pool is overflowing. My back patio is flooded. The garage floor looks like Lake Erie.
Our friends across the street have a river flowing from their neighbors house, under the fence and into their lower family room. We used a bunch of sandbags yesterday and couldn't stop it. It's raining like hell right now.
I'm going to drink some coffee and watch cartoons with the kids.

Historically speaking, this is why smart mid westerners and Native Americans (think of all the river valleys) occupied high ground. Not the very top but just below it with the wind being abated by the hill.

Makes sense now doesn't it?

I have a surveying and civil engineering background (amongst other crap) and all systems will eventually fail unless there is sufficient vertical relief.

So if you are at the bottom of slope or near it, you will someday go swimming.

It's been raining pretty dang hard the past week here in SoCal. On top of that, news reports point to a powerful thunderstorm hitting tonight.

Just got home and there's a flood watch bulletin on my answering machine. First one that's ever been broadcast in this area. Sheriff will call if it upgrades to mandatory.

ltdiver

Ah the joys of flooding. ALL of the valleys here flood almost every year.
I made VERY sure when I bought my house that I was far above ANY possible flooding or landslides. I specifically bought my home in the foothills of the Cascades, on a hill in an area called The Bluffs:)

ltdiver

Ah the joys of flooding. ALL of the valleys here flood almost every year.
I made VERY sure when I bought my house that I was far above ANY possible flooding or landslides. I specifically bought my home in the foothills of the Cascades, on a hill in an area called The Bluffs:)

See what I mean?

It's not like there was no flooding in WI every spring.;)

Grimm's neighborhood sounds much like mine, the houses across the street are all flooding , they were built about a foot lower than ours!

Our pool has been overflowing for days, but it flows past the house into the street, only gets about an inch deep on the ground...

I guess this is the price we pay for such Beautiful weather most years...

All those nice big Glaciers that melted away only 15000 years ago or so left a mess there as they did here.

I had a chance to buy a really pretty house to the east of my on the Skykomish River. It was gorgeous, and would have been a wonderful home. It had not flooded since it was originally built in the early 1980's. BUT ... It sat on the river in a big BEND of the river. It is only a matter of time till the river does its thing. One Hawaiian Express after another early winter of heavy snowfall in the high country ( we are talking up to 20 ft or more usually )and the house and all the neighbors in the "Big Bend" will go away.

All those nice big Glaciers that melted away only 15000 years ago or so left a mess there as they did here.

I had a chance to buy a really pretty house to the east of my on the Skykomish River. It was gorgeous, and would have been a wonderful home. It had not flooded since it was originally built in the early 1980's. BUT ... It sat on the river in a big BEND of the river. It is only a matter of time till the river does its thing. One Hawaiian Express after another early winter of heavy snowfall in the high country ( we are talking up to 20 ft or more usually )and the house and all the neighbors in the "Big Bend" will go away.

You can't help but wonder what some people were thinking when they either bought, or built in some area's![:/] Like building homes on the shores off the Mo. river...:S

>this is why smart mid westerners and Native Americans (think of all the
>river valleys) occupied high ground. Not the very top but just below it with
>the wind being abated by the hill. Makes sense now doesn't it?

It does - until the slope you're living on starts sliding into the valley.

>this is why smart mid westerners and Native Americans (think of all the
>river valleys) occupied high ground. Not the very top but just below it with
>the wind being abated by the hill. Makes sense now doesn't it?

It does - until the slope you're living on starts sliding into the valley.

Which should be happening some time today in Southern Cal.

first little tremur, (which we have daily) and many of these hill top homes will be in the valley!

That's why engineers (Are Supposed to)examine the soil borings and compaction.

Unless you have 90% of modified proctor scale you do not build.

Also some of the much older houses were pinned onto rock or on driven pilings.

There fixed it for ya...when they built on the hills above our house, I was able to shove a 5 foot long walking stick into the dirt in the center of a fondation before they poured it....Those houses have been cracking and moving every year since... How they got away with it, I have no clue!