psychoswooper

Tandem reserve lines fall off ?

HOLY SHI_ !! Can anybody substantiate this rumor that I heard?

I was told that a Tandem Master at the Dublin Boogie had a cutaway and just shortly after landing the reserve, a rear line group seperated.
The rumor goes on to say the L Bar was missing a screw. However , correct me if I'm wrong, an L Bar must be missing both screws in order to actually seperate.
Does anybody have the facts??

was told that a Tandem Master at the Dublin Boogie had a cutaway and just shortly after landing the reserve, a rear line group seperated.

I don't know the facts, I can just say that yes upon landing it came apart. The tension of the lines kept it together under canopy. Finally found a good use for the word tension on a tandem.(instead of tension knots)[:/]

L-bar: http://www.paragear.com/frame.asp?menu=group%3d193%26level%3d1&main=templates/base_template.asp%3fgroup%3d193

Its item H359 SEPARABLE CONNECTOR LINK

Since RWS tandems don't have cascades on the reserves a rapid link won't work due to the amount of lines needing an attatchment, so the L-bracket is used.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I am the Rigger responsible for this incident,
Chris Whitley.

This is what happened.This is my personal rig and I should have been jumping it.
It was loaned to another TI for use.
This was also the first jump on a new main that was assembled by master rigger.
The rig was disassembled washed and reassembled last week by me.
A new main was installed at Dublin.
The main had a malfunction.
cutaway and reserve ride were fine.
after landing the L-Bar on one of the rear reserve risers fell apart.
There were no screws in either side and no stripped threads.
This was a rigging mistake on my part and there is no excuse .
I am responsible.
I feel very fortunate that my friend and his passenger are here today.
I will be making a report on this to the FAA and will allow them to do their job .

If you have any Questions please feel free to post them here or PM me directley.

Chris Whitley

Uncle/GrandPapa Whit
Unico Rodriguez # 245
Muff Brother # 2421

HOLY SHI_ !! Can anybody substantiate this rumor that I heard?

I was told that a Tandem Master at the Dublin Boogie had a cutaway and just shortly after landing the reserve, a rear line group seperated.
The rumor goes on to say the L Bar was missing a screw. However , correct me if I'm wrong, an L Bar must be missing both screws in order to actually seperate.
Does anybody have the facts??

The facts are this.There are three people that had any business making this post.Chris,Tom or the manufacturer.I'm sure one of them would have if given time.I have just lost all respect for you Cindy.Please DO Not Pm me reguarding this matter.

Chris, although I don't know you personally or as a rigging customer. I applaud you in making your post, taking responsibility, and not hiding behind a dropzone.com screen name.

All of us can, have, and will learn from mistakes.

Fortunately in this circumstance, a student and instructor were not killed due to a fatal error.
This is gonna hurt!

Chris Whitley.

This is what happened.This is my personal rig and I should have been jumping it.
I am responsible.
I will be making a report on this to the FAA and will allow them to do their job .

If you have any Questions please feel free to post them here or PM me directley.

Chris Whitley

Pay attention people, this is a post by a man with integrity, and I believe a man of honor.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Since RWS tandems don't have cascades on the reserves a rapid link won't work due to the amount of lines needing an attatchment, so the L-bracket is used.

It is possible to fit the lines on the largest of links. The L Bar creates a hazard if the reaerve break line is pulled down to far in the the cascade can be trapped byt the protruding end of the L-bar thus causing a turn.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Yeah Chris, i know what you were going through mate. We both know why this thread was started!! You made a mistake, like previously stated. NO-one was killed!!;) I will still trust you with both mine and the wifes rig. Don't let this get to you, If anything else, you will become a much better rigger and person.:)
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

Chris Whitley.

I don't think I've ever met you before, but hands down this is the biggest integrity check and proof of moral character I have ever seen on DZ.com!

Even though you made a rigging mistake and everyone potentially got lucky, I have to say I definately have respect for you by cowboying up on this.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Dave thank you so much for your support.
This was a wake up call. A Big one.
It means so much to have people like yourself who are respected on DZ.COM to support me in this.
I will make my decission as to weather I will continue rigging at a later time.

I have cryed for 3 days and am humbled by the support I have been given by all.

I had dinner with the TI involved monday and was blown away with his support.

Thanks again

Chris Whitley

Uncle/GrandPapa Whit
Unico Rodriguez # 245
Muff Brother # 2421

I will make my decission as to weather I will continue rigging at a later time.

I, for one, am glad you're evaluating this. I can't commend you enough for stepping up and taking responsibility for your actions, and for doing that, you deserve a lot of support.

For making the mistake in the first place, however, you should be chastised, though I doubt anything anybody could say would be worse than what you're doing to yourself. You were lucky, and you know that.

Riggers should be checking and double checking their work. I don't know enough about the equipment or what caused this particular instance to know whether there was a fluke mistake, or whether there was neglect. I'm not sure it matters. I trust riggers to go through a process that means they'll catch their mistakes.

That said, I'd feel perfectly comfortable if you packed my next reserve. Your courage in admitting your mistake suggests that you have character, will learn from it and be quite a bit more attentive in the future. I'm sure it was a sobering experience, and if you continuing rigging, you'll realize the responsibility and amount of trust the rest of us are placing on your abilities and methods.

Chris

When I posted this, I did not know who it was. I had only heard a vague rumor with no names attached. It was after my post that I was able to talk to Tom & he told me about it. Every human can make a mistake & I too applaud you for owning up tp it. I know you care a lot about people . I was just curious from a rigging standpoint. I thought maybe there was a problem with some L Bars being able to work loose shaking around in the container. Thats why I asked for the facts.

Chris Whitley.

I am responsible.

Chris Whitley

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone". Funny, I dont see a lot of rocks being thrown around!!

We ALL make mistakes from time to time, I personally missed an untightend rapide on my former business partners main after it was sent back from the factory for cell replacement. Was it the factory's fault for not tightening it? sure! But it was also MY fault for trusting that all the work was 100%. He landed safely and we fitted a new link but that incident reminded me that as a rigger, trust no one but your self and double check your self because even you are not immune to oversight. I feel for you buddy, you are doing the right thing, that takes some balls. I'm proud of you.

Mick.

Dang Whit...no wonder you said you were coming by to get in the jacuzzi. (BTW, did you get lost or just change your mind?) I chased the main but had no idea of the other until late last night and just got details a few minutes ago. I want to commend you for standing up to this as well as for taking care of the kid who found the main. Tells me alot about you.

Know that we all make mistakes...we will all back you and support you through it. Good on you.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

I hope the FAA takes no action as I suspect you are probably will never make another, even minor, rigging mistake. Look into the NASA ASRS program . It is basically an almost a get out of jail free card applicable to this type of situation.

We all make mistakes, what sets us apart is how we deal with those mistakes. You have proven yourself to have integrity. Learn from it and move on. Beating yourself up too much is counter productive. I wish you the best.

Derek

Chris

When I posted this, I did not know who it was. I had only heard a vague rumor with no names attached. It was after my post that I was able to talk to Tom & he told me about it. Every human can make a mistake & I too applaud you for owning up tp it. I know you care a lot about people . I was just curious from a rigging standpoint. I thought maybe there was a problem with some L Bars being able to work loose shaking around in the container. Thats why I asked for the facts.

God you have sunk to a new low! I am so upset that you could do this! And yes I am attacking you on a PUBLIC Forum! I know for a fact you are lying. I know who told you and when. How could you have heard that "rumor" so fast!? And I know that you could not wait to post this, do you really think eveyone is stupid?! I may get kicked off dropzone for this, and NO Lee did not put me up to this either! But I don't care. It upsets me SOOOOOOOO much that this has happened..........Chris I know that you are human, and that everyone makes mistakes. In fact I thought I would leave my trip to Eloy a secret when a TM yelled at me because my reserve was sooo loose that he did not even recommend me to jump (in front of everyone by the way!) and yes this was after someone who knows who they are packed it! Damn I hate being like this!
That will be the last post on this matter. Chris I know you will save my life one day, I trust you completley!

I thought we were all here to skydive!
-----------------
I love and Miss you so much Honey!
Orfun #3 ~ Darla

I remember talking to you right after this happened and how shook up you were. Your tone was the same then as it is now...you made no excuses and took full responsibility. That shows your character brotha'. Like was said earlier, everyone makes mistakes, it's how you handle them that shows your true colors. Thank God no one was hurt and lesson learned.

I was your first save and I will always trust you packing my reserve....speaking of which, I'm due soon.;)

I was there, standing next to him when this whole thing unfolded. I saw an undiscribable expression in his face.
He deserves all the support we can give.
Chris, I commend you for the way you are handling this situation by standing up and take responsibility for that. And as was said here before, it will pass. Keep your head up, you have friends here.
Vic and Laurel. ;)