Ron

Another in air Vigil fire in DeLand (3/19)?

i agree with you andy. being able to switch to tandem on the fly so to speak makes little sense. you cant do tandems with sport rigs no matter what, so theres absolutly no reason you would need to change this mode with out opening the container and installing the unit in a tandem rig. so this feature seems to only add risk without rerward, as seen in solly's case. that is of coarse assuming it was an error by the user and not tampered with. time will tell, if this happens again its obviously not as hard to do as previously thought.
it sounds more likley that having the same unit do three different jump modes is more cost effective. that is the only reward i can think of. this is not a bad thing, but it needs to be idiot proof so to speak,as to not put jumpers in danger.
i for one want the vigil to be a success. i dont care for not having much of a choice in life. ive always thought parts of the airtech maintenance squedule is bullshit and unesessary. and the fact that the unit is worthless to us after 12 years is such a flippin scam. airtec is happy as hell cuz it meant guaranteed sales and support for the future.
so good luck vigil i hope to be a customer of your soon, but since you dont give me a paycheck, you'll have to work all the bugs out on someone else.
>

Well, to a point. What happens in 8-10 years when some of the raw supplies for the units (both Cypres 2 and Vigil) start to run out and they are having to look for all new sensors, circuit printers, etc. You end up with a new version that has much improved components while all the field units are now running chips that can not be replaced if something goes wrong. (Cypres2 is the result of this)

In your 10 year old VCR/Microwave can you find exact replacement parts for it? I have trouble finding the right vacumn bags for my sweeper and its only 7 years old. Electronics have a short shelf life before the next revision comes out. If you just keep droping in the newest revision you'll end up with thousands of different potential combos of field hardware and I would'nt touch flashing that with an update for my life. There is no way I would wany to try and make sure all those potential thousands of hardware combos are accounted for in writing the code. :S

Competition can only effect the price to a point. Other ways of lowering the price are to put in cheaper components, spend less on Production costs (don't need to make three button types on a Vigil so thats an instant cost savings), spend less on marketing, spend less ona support staff, or thousands of other ways. Some of them are smart for the consumer, some of them are smart for the business. Both major AAD companies do this currently.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

spend less on Production costs (don't need to make three button types on a Vigil so thats an instant cost savings)

Or spend less on production and inventory costs (don't need to make three different Cypres types); don't need to do market research to figure out how many of each type to make, just how many to make overall.

Mark

spend less on Production costs (don't need to make three button types on a Vigil so thats an instant cost savings)

Or spend less on production and inventory costs (don't need to make three different Cypres types); don't need to do market research to figure out how many of each type to make, just how many to make overall.

Mark

If those 3 cypres types are 95% the same this problem is not that big. You will end up with several configurations anyway, because of specific customer requirements (military) or simply because of the unavailability of components

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habit,
Especially when you are jumping a sport rig

it sounds more likley that having the same unit do three different jump modes is more cost effective......but it needs to be idiot proof so to speak,as to not put jumpers in danger.

It says the mode the unit is in right there on the display. How can someone miss the word TANDEM on their AAD display during a gear check, not once or twice - but on 14 seperate occaisions. This seems less of an equipment issue and more one of a jumper getting complacent and failing to perform a complete system check before every jump. Do people check their Cypres before every jump (yes, even if you have already jumped it that day) - if not, why not?

Complacency is the core issue here, not training. It's clear that he should have caught the error, but he didn't. Every one of us is capable of making the same mistake.

AndyMan

Exactly. This is the lesson that we should take from this, and that every one of us is responsible for our own safety in this sport.