Ketia0

Paris/London Honeymoon

Ok Sky brother and sksiters, Im seeking after your help once more... :)

For our Honeymoon, Me and the girl were talking about going to London and then taking the train to Paris. Spending a 2 days in each place.

Any ideas or thoughts on what we could do, or where we could go. I have never been out of the country.

I have decided against taking the rig, as I would probably not get any jumps in anyway. ;)

So suggestions are highly appreciated. :)

Im thinking this will be about 3k each for the both of us... Is that a good estimate?
"In this game you can't predict the future. You just have to play the odds. "-JohnMitchell

I've done that same trip before. Splurge for the first class section of the Eurostar, it's a great way to travel.

If you like Queen and like musicals, I highly recommend "We will rock you". I've seen it twice. B|
Other than that, I saw mostly the usual touristy stuff in both cities. Buy the guidebook by Rick Steves. He offers very good walking tours, affordable lodging and out of the way places to eat. I traveled through London, France and Barcelona with his books. It's really worth it to follow his guide if you go through the Louve; he points out what to look at in the paintings in certain rooms so you can get a feel for each period of art. I also really liked his guide of walking the Champs de Elysse.

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Splurge for the first class section of the Eurostar, it's a great way to travel

I was looking at the ticket prices for these.. Is the first class that much better? The price difference is about $300. [:/]

2 hour train ride, i figured i would rather save and go the cheapest one..

What did you think of London? Lots to see and do? Think I will be able to have 2 packed days?

My plan is to arrive there monday, and rest, and site see there till wednesday morning. Then take train to Paris, and stay there till friday. Then either fly out of Paris back to US, or take train back to London, and fly out of London. I have heard it would be worth it to take the train back so it wont be an "open flight". And that thoughs tickets are steeper.
"In this game you can't predict the future. You just have to play the odds. "-JohnMitchell

I was looking at the ticket prices for these.. Is the first class that much better? The price difference is about $300.

It was a splurge when I did it a few years ago, but I don't think it was that much. We got a meal, champagne, leather seats in a quieter atmosphere...it was posh!

Things I enjoyed:
London Eye
Trafalger Square
Thames River Cruise
Wimbledon (during the tournament, it was awesome)
Westmindster Abbey and St. Paul's Cathedral
Kensington Pallace
Windsor Castle
Harrod's
National Gallery
Shopping
Pubs

Check out the London Pass to see if it'd be worth it for you to buy the pass for admission discounts.

If you don't think you'll be staying in a room very much, look into getting a room at an Ibis hotel. They are affordable and clean but a little small and no frills. When we stayed in London, an all-you-can-eat breakfast was included in our price. We ate enough to tide us over for breakfast and lunch, ate a small snack on the streets and then only paid for dinner out, so it saved a lot of money.

In Paris, we got a lot of ham and cheese baguettes at the train stations for lunch on the go. My kids were so sick of them. :ph34r:
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Hi Austin,

I've spent a fair amount of time in both of them & think that just two days in each will be way too short. Just my thoughts on that. But, then again, you two may be way too busy with 'other things' that you will be doing. ;)

SkyMoms has given you some good ideas for London.

For lodging in Paris, I highly recomend:

http://www.hotel-leveque.com/en

They speak excellent English, it is very will situated for walking to just about anywhere in the city, and you can get REALLY good crepes for breakfast at a little kiosk in the street in front of the hotel; just go out the front door & turn left, the kiosk should be about 100 ft away.

Best of luck,

JerryBaumchen

PS) http://www.squidoo.com/top10-things-to-do-Paris-France

PPS) Also go to Rick Steeves website as he has something about Paris in 7 days.

I agree with Jerry that you're trying to cram too much into too little time.

I've been to both of them, and just wandering around getting the feel of the place is worth a day.

London has the Tower of London and Westminster Abbey -- those are two of the absolute top things to me. But I spent hours in each one. There are tombs there that are older than the US. Walking through town, going to a show, both are fun. Eat fish and chips and Indian food (GREAT Indian food).

Kew Gardens are romantic, depending on the time of year. It's a big botanical garden with lots of flowers and trees. You can take part in walking tours of things like sites from Sherlock Holmes, etc.

Paris is also worthy of a whole trip. Taking the Bateau Mouche along the river, going into the catacombs, seeing Notre Dame, eating at a sidewalk cafe, eating an incredibly delicate and rich pastry from a patisserie, making a lunch of some pate and crusty bread in a park (note: Paris requires a LOT of eating to appreciate :ph34r:).

Have a wonderful time. You could also take a 1/2 day guided tour of each city your first morning there and choose from that things to go back to. And note I haven't even mentioned the museums -- they're all wonderful.

But that leaves you no time to stay up late and sleep in doing -- well, you know...

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Yep, see if you can get more time. Valinda and I spent only 3 days in Paris when visiting France. Next time I want 2 weeks minimum. Totally agree with the Rick Steves books. They are very handy.

First Class on the train? In the U.S., that means a private sleeper compartment.;););) It might well be worth the extra dough. I know I like spending a little extra for that.B|

Those big red tourists buses aren't a bad way to see Paris. We got a one day pass on that and it simplified seeing a a lot of the sights. Walk through Notre Dame, see the Champs Elysee, and go to the top of the Eiffel Tower. Time that last one for sunset, if you can. :)

spend all you time in Paris.;)

No question, and it still won't be enough time...

London is where ya go for a drunken BJ, Paris is for honeymooners!

Ya still got my number Ketia? gimme a call I'll walk ya through it! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I also agree that you aren't giving yourself enough time. On top of the fact that it's not enough time for a normal vacation, please keep in mind you will be on your HONEYMOON and NEWLY MARRIED!!!! ;)

Patrick and I just got back from our honeymoon, and we took it after three months of marriage. On average we were out of the apartment for about four hours each day.... I'm just saying, you may want to factor in more time for "rest" if you plan on seeing any of either city at all.

Good luck planning your trip!!!

London is where ya go for a drunken BJ

It is? I live in London - could you narrow it down? Where do I get one of these?

Infernos nightclub Clapham. 21 year old girls of all nationalities!!

But seriously, what to do in London. Jesus, theres everything. Whats your bag? Cultural, sleazy, drunken. Its all there. Do all the obvious - London eye etc. Check out Kew Gardens. Go to the theatre. From there its open. Check out the "time out London" website. It has a whole breakdown of whats on where and special events. Good luck!!

My plan is to arrive there monday, and rest, and site see there till wednesday morning. Then take train to Paris, and stay there till friday. Then either fly out of Paris back to US, or take train back to London, and fly out of London

If you fly direct from Houston to London, it's a 9 hour flight. Factor in time at both airports, and you're looking at 11 or 12 hours of travel time, more if you have a layover. So round trip, you're looking at 24 hours of travel time, plus 4 hours round trip on the train, all in the course of 6 days.

Then, if you think about it, once you include time at the train station and checking in/out of hotels, you really only end up with 1.5 days in each city at best. It doesn't seem like enough time by a long shot, and then yes, add in time for your 'honeymoon time', and you're not going to see much of anything.

Maybe just go to Paris of you're really 'married' to the idea of Europe. It would save the day of travel running back and forth through the Chunnel, and give you a solid 3.5 or 4 days in the city.

Better yet, book a super saver deal to Bermuda or Jamaica. It's a half day of travel each way, and you can pop for a beach side room with a private terrace, eat like kings (and queens), and probably save $1000 over the trip across the pond.

My plan is to arrive there monday, and rest, and site see there till wednesday morning. Then take train to Paris, and stay there till friday. Then either fly out of Paris back to US, or take train back to London, and fly out of London

If you fly direct from Houston to London, it's a 9 hour flight. Factor in time at both airports, and you're looking at 11 or 12 hours of travel time, more if you have a layover. So round trip, you're looking at 24 hours of travel time, plus 4 hours round trip on the train, all in the course of 6 days.

Then, if you think about it, once you include time at the train station and checking in/out of hotels, you really only end up with 1.5 days in each city at best. It doesn't seem like enough time by a long shot, and then yes, add in time for your 'honeymoon time', and you're not going to see much of anything.

Maybe just go to Paris of you're really 'married' to the idea of Europe. It would save the day of travel running back and forth through the Chunnel, and give you a solid 3.5 or 4 days in the city.

Better yet, book a super saver deal to Bermuda or Jamaica. It's a half day of travel each way, and you can pop for a beach side room with a private terrace, eat like kings (and queens), and probably save $1000 over the trip across the pond.

Yeah...and avoid the cold! :ph34r:

You also forgot to figure in the jet lag...takes a day to get 'back on track' so to speak.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

when in PAris, don't hesitate to visite by bike with, for example www.parisbiketour.net/uk/ (do a google search with "paris velo" lots of companies offering that kind of service. Quick and efficient visits, and different too :)
don't regret not getting the jumps, DZ's are pretty far from town, and not easy to reach if you don't have a car. Plus it gives you more time for the humps :)

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

You also forgot to figure in the jet lag...takes a day to get 'back on track' so to speak

Of course. The whole thing sounds like a rush job to me. More like a class trip or a guided tour as opposed to a honeymoon. A honeymoon should be a little more 'loose' in the planning. Go someplace with plenty to do, and no real plans to do any of it.

You also forgot to figure in the jet lag...takes a day to get 'back on track' so to speak

Of course. The whole thing sounds like a rush job to me. More like a class trip or a guided tour as opposed to a honeymoon. A honeymoon should be a little more 'loose' in the planning. Go someplace with plenty to do, and no real plans to do any of it.

Yep. I agree with this 100%. The hubs and I were planning on taking a cruise, but then we realized we'd feel obligated to get off the boat in port and such. We found a nice vacation rental in Savannah and left everything open and unplanned. We really couldn't be happier with it! :)