Zep

Today was a good day (NOT)

So I've just got over my first bout of Herpes vorster (shingles) that has left some
nasty twinges, felt like some one was playing the banjo with the nerve endings in my
upper back and round to the front of my chest,
Then today I was having lunch at the mother inn laws house with the whole
extended family and I have a attack of sciatica, at first they thought I was
taking the piss, till the tears started rolling down my cheeks.
Luckily me sister inn law and her husband are doctors and went and bought some
liquid voltaren and a syringe, so I jabed myself in the thigh and waited for the
pain to ease.

The up side to the story is I shall never again think someone is a wimp for not
dealing with pain that I can't feel, and I shall never again wish pain on another person.

sciatica is a BITCH. And getting old sucks.

Gone fishing

The up side to the story is I shall never again think someone is a wimp for not
dealing with pain that I can't feel, and I shall never again wish pain on another person.

i passed a kidney stone last year. i didnt know that my body was capable of feeling that much pain or that level of pain existed. it was humbling.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

I had a really bad kidney stone the 1st time it was a 5mm stone.

It required an ambulance ride, I could only groan quietly.

I was in a cold sweat and doubled over.

5 shots of Dilaudid eased it some.

Crushed bones are bad, broken joints, back fractures with nerve damage.

The C5-7 damage was also brutal.

Having my knee go backwards 90° and leg facing backwards from the knee down was excruciating.

I know how you must have been feeling.

i passed a kidney stone last year. i didnt know that my body was capable of feeling that much pain or that level of pain existed. it was humbling.

I woke with back pain the day I did my A license check dive. Did the dive, took the exam, got the stamp, stood up, fell over, puked. After about two hours had someone take me to the ER. I honestly would only wish that on about two people in this world. OK, may be 4.
It's a gift, I don't try to explain it.

Now all you need is a kidney stone for the trifecta.

Thanks for reminding me, years ago I passed gravel in the wee hours of the morning,
that was quite a wake up call.
Never ever drunk tap water since.

Gone fishing

I thought it was soda pops that gave you kidney stones. What's wrong with tap water?(Except that you're in Spain.)

sweet tea is the worst thing you can drink. soda isn't far behind though.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

Pain comes in many flavors. I've long been unable to think someone a wimp over physical pain.

When I was in high school I suffered a lower back injury while wrestling. Had shooting pains down my leg for months while I got that sorted out with doctors and physical therapists. Falling down in pain mid stride in the hallway between classes is not something I'd wish on a 15 year old.

More recently, a few years ago, I had a runaway fever that doctors feared was meningitis. They did an LP to rule it out and while it came back okay the LP didn't heal properly. The next day when I tried to go back to work I discovered that sitting up resulted in headaches so bad my vision blacked out and I collapsed out of my chair.

Lightweights, I've had 6 kidney stones so far... And I'm 24. On the bright side, the things that used to seem painful before become mere irritations.

As for causes of kidney stones, it differs from person to person depending on what type of stone develops. Dehydration is said to be a big factor in it, too many sugary drinks, not enough water. I've also heard from a doctor that red meat is a cause too. Though judging from the different reactions from different doctors, no one seems to actually know.

In my case though it was dehydration a few times, and the mistake of no water and only energy drinks for 2 days.

Though they're also genetic, so chances increase greatly if someone else in the family has had.

I thought it was soda pops that gave you kidney stones. What's wrong with tap water?(Except that you're in Spain.)

where I live the water is 170 degrees on the French farenheit scale.
Lots and lots of lime scale

(One degree French is defined as 10 milligrams of calcium carbonate per litre of water, equivalent to 10 ppm.)

Gone fishing

Hi John,

I thought it was soda pops that gave you kidney stones.

Lots of things can do it. In my case it was an out-of-control Para-Thyroid gland. A little surgery and nothing since.

If it were soda pop I would be having them all of the time. :S

JerryBaumchen

PS) My doctor told me that the Portland, OR area ( that is here, where I live ) has the highest rate of kidney stones of anywhere in the world; and no one knows why. :o