kemaljump

Optimum 143 or 126...?

Hi everybody...
I want to be sure of purchasing a reserve canopy which I prefer PD optimum... but I want to ask about your recommendations about choosing the PDR Optimum143 or Optimum126 according to my weight which is 83 kg (naked) means I think 183 pounds...
The question why I am asking is that, I want to make my rig smaller if it worths to make the reserve smaller, but I want to be safe also... I see many huge people using very small container systems, and wonder about how and what kind of reserves are they using to make their rigs smaller..!!!
So, should I use optimum126 as my reserve... is it going to be still safe for me?
when I use 143 optimum my wingload is becoming 1,4, and if I use 126 optimum, my wingload is 1,6..
if you ask me about my skydiving experience, I have 3000+ jumps, half of it is classic (accuracy and style) and half of it is skydiving formation and instructor drills...
I am looking forward your recommendations...
thanks a lot...
blue skies....

I would choose the 143, but then I weigh significantly less than you, and I have a 150 in my container. Just in case it's a bad day in more ways than one when I have a cutaway, I'd like to know that I can sink my reserve down between the tanks at a sewage treatment facility, or that it will land me reasonably if I am not conscious.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

First of all I agree with the three posters above. Second I'd say it depends on what you jumped before and third, if you want to make your rig smaller, you can do that by getting an optimum reserve the same size as your reserve you've had till now since they pack 1-2 sizes smaller anyway.
But making your rig smaller is not a reason to downsize to start with.
From how you put it, I understand that you'd be downsizing the reserve either way, so I'd go conservative on that. especially with the reserve for reasons mentioned above.

You you need to ask yourself what YOU want out of your reserve. IF you have an AAD, take into consideration that there may be a time where you're not conscious to land. Do you want to land safely or barely escape serious injury or even death? A reserve is a last chance effort to save Your Life.

I wouldn't concern myself too much with what risks others may take, as long as it's not a danger to anyone else.

The appropriateness of a very small reserve is directly related to your comfort at that wingloading.

Do thousands of jumps on a highly loaded Elliptical main? A small reserve may not be a terrible idea.

But classic accuracy? Maybe something bigger and slower would be a smarter choice.

What mains do you usually jump?

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Hi Jbar,

First) I am not trying to argue, just trying to provide information.

since they pack 1-2 sizes smaller anyway.

According to this chart:

http://www.performancedesigns.com/packingchart.asp

they only pack one size smaller.

I think that too many people are hoping that they will pack smaller but everything has its limits.

JerryBaumchen

Get a reserve that is similar in size to, or larger than, your main. Presumably you can land that well; that's a good guide.

As a reference, I have just under 6000 jumps, and in my primary rig I have a Crossfire2 109 as a main loaded at about 1.9:1 and a PD143R. If I get the chance I may swap the PD143R for an Optimum 160.

Hi everybody...
I want to be sure of purchasing a reserve canopy which I prefer PD optimum... but I want to ask about your recommendations about choosing the PDR Optimum143 or Optimum126 according to my weight which is 83 kg (naked) means I think 183 pounds...
The question why I am asking is that, I want to make my rig smaller if it worths to make the reserve smaller, but I want to be safe also... I see many huge people using very small container systems, and wonder about how and what kind of reserves are they using to make their rigs smaller..!!!
So, should I use optimum126 as my reserve... is it going to be still safe for me?

If you can't flare well due to being stunned after hitting your head on exit or a dislocated shoulder, you're more likely to end your jump with broken bones under the 126 than the 143.

Wait for a light wind day then go find a farmer's back yard and purposely spot for and land in it. Your only cost will be a jump ticket, unless you break yourself up.

When you've accomplished this, then simply ask yourself " do I wish I had a smaller more heavily loaded canopy for that jump?" (don't cheat and use an accuracy canopy)

If you can honestly answer 'yes' then go for the smaller reserve.

I went from a PDR126 to the OP143. No brainer.

My main is a Velo 103.

(this was meant for the original poster)
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

I'd go with the largest reserve that fits in your container. It can only help. Under no circumstances get a reserve smaller than your canopy(s) - you do not want to be landing a canopy that's smaller _and_ unfamiliar if you do have to cut away low some day.