jdthomas

questioned at post office

Ok, so each time you ship a package the post office workers run through thier questions of any thing breakable, frgile, perishable and like most americans I lie and say no just to go on with life.
Today the grilling of questions came and as the worker picked up the box it was "what is in here?"
Normally I would say none of your business but I guess it is thier business, but do they have to know everything really? I said magazines, a book and some left over christmas stuff. pretty much covered it but I got the impression the worker was not buying it.
So my deal is, why? do they really need to know what my business is and what i am shipping.. next time i am going to say anal beads, cock rings and butt plugs to see what the reaction is, but i doubt it because i will just use UPS or fed ex next time for my packages.
www.greenboxphotography.com

UPS and FEDEX can be worse. Both have told me it is illegal for me to ship blackpowder pistols. They are wrong, but don't care about facts. I had to explain to the US Post Office that I can ship a firearms straight to a manufacturer and make the guy look it up before he would accept the package. Even then, he insisted the weapon had to be taken apart, which is not true.

I suspect the guy was just getting into your business. I've never had them ask exactly what was in the package.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

They don't want to ask, they have to ask. They aren't supposed to ask the specific contents, but they are supposed to ensure it's not something prohibited. The prohibited list is pretty long, so I suppose he was just being lazy.

Like most things at the post office, it's kinda stupid. People can easily lie about the contents.

FedEx and UPS have similar restrictions, and they are supposed to ask as well, but they usually don't. They are more interested in selling you insurance for whatever it is that they don't care about.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

They are responsible for it once they take possession of it. They have the right to know what's in it.
They also have the responsibility to protect everyone else's stuff, so they need to know that it won't put the rest of the freight at risk.

Check out a little of the history of "Hazardous Materials" and how those rules came about. It involves a leaking container of nitroglycerine being opened by someone who didn't know what it was and he opened the crate with a hammer (well, the crate wasn't closed after the first blow, anyway:))

Kinda like airport security, you don't have to answer any of the questions, you also can deliver the package yourself.

I agree that a lot of the idiots behind the counters don't know their own rules, especially when it comes to guns.

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Both have told me it is illegal for me to ship blackpowder pistols. They are wrong, but don't care about facts.

To a degree, they are right. In order to legally ship HazMat items, you must ensure proper handling and conditions -- something that will cost far more than you are probably willing to pay.

They don't like it when the package smells like paint .

...or pot!

Funny story... My buddy works for UPS as a manager of some sort. He says they get packages all the time that smell like pot. Fortunately, here in Colorado, it's legal on a state level, so there's nothing that UPS can do. Anywho, an employee a few months ago was caught trying to steal such a package. The resulting actions taken were firing the employee, re-sealing and sending the package back off.

They are responsible for it once they take possession of it. They have the right to know what's in it.
They also have the responsibility to protect everyone else's stuff, so they need to know that it won't put the rest of the freight at risk.

Check out a little of the history of "Hazardous Materials" and how those rules came about. It involves a leaking container of nitroglycerine being opened by someone who didn't know what it was and he opened the crate with a hammer (well, the crate wasn't closed after the first blow, anyway:))

Kinda like airport security, you don't have to answer any of the questions, you also can deliver the package yourself.

I agree that a lot of the idiots behind the counters don't know their own rules, especially when it comes to guns metal parts.

There I fixed it for you

Hi JD

We live in a small town, have a PO box, had a UPS box so we go there on a semi reguler and see some very :D:D stuff.

At our local PO in addition to the humanoids working at the counter we allso have a computerized machine, like a self check out at the grocery store. No humanoid required. ;)

The folks that work for the PO IMO are hard working etc, but during challenging times like this, no telling whats in a box or package, Getting contaminated with anthrax or baby powder wasn't part of their job description. That clock someone mailed that goes tick tock:SB|, how would you like to have that package in your truck/bag.

In the past when a "disgruntled" postal worker had a "issue". At least they would "discuss" it with their supervisor's and coworkers.:SB| Not the customers.

We're doomed, doomed I telll you and the world will never be the same.;)

One Jump Wonder

Both have told me it is illegal for me to ship blackpowder pistols. They are wrong, but don't care about facts.

To a degree, they are right. In order to legally ship HazMat items, you must ensure proper handling and conditions -- something that will cost far more than you are probably willing to pay.

They don't like it when the package smells like paint .

...or pot!

Funny story... My buddy works for UPS as a manager of some sort. He says they get packages all the time that smell like pot. Fortunately, here in Colorado, it's legal on a state level, so there's nothing that UPS can do. Anywho, an employee a few months ago was caught trying to steal such a package. The resulting actions taken were firing the employee, re-sealing and sending the package back off.

What a dummy!:D Folks would be amazed at how much dope... of all kinds, is shipped by Fed-Ex and UPS.

Chuck

'Nother funny story:

Back in the day...

Someone sent a birthday card to a friend through the mail.
Taped inside the card were 100 hits of Orange Sunshine.

When the friend received it, it was too thick for the auto-cancel machine so it got hand-canceled and half the tabs were crushed.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

'Nother funny story:

Back in the day...

When the friend received it, it was too thick for the auto-cancel machine so it got hand-canceled and half the tabs were crushed.

time to breakout the straw :)
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

'Nother funny story:

Back in the day...

Oh no!:o:D:D

Chuck