d_squared431

How do you pronounce the word "the" ?

I pronounce "the" as "da". Like saying "whats the matter" is "whats da madda" Im a New Jersey idiot, but I never noticed how I talk until I moved to California and people pointed it out or they make fun of me. Then I make fun of them for putting 20 vegetables and ranch dressing on their pizza.

Thee before a vowel; thuh before a consonant. That's what I do, and it seems most natural. I'm surprised anyone doesn't do this. Freaks. :P

If you use thuh before a vowel then you have to put an awkward glottal stop between the words (like in the middle of uh-oh). But if you use thee, then you can run the words together with kind of a 'y' sound between them.

What I don't get is why posh people use an instead of a before words starting with a hard 'h'. For example, 'an hotel'.

Thee before a vowel; thuh before a consonant. That's what I do, and it seems most natural. I'm surprised anyone doesn't do this. Freaks. :P

If you use thuh before a vowel then you have to put an awkward glottal stop between the words (like in the middle of uh-oh). But if you use thee, then you can run the words together with kind of a 'y' sound between them.

What I don't get is why posh people use an instead of a before words starting with a hard 'h'. For example, 'an hotel'.

You can thank 'enry 'iggins for that, Guv.

The long and the short of it is that it depends how one pronounces 'a' (ay as in day or a as in apple).

If one says 'ay' hotel : it sounds O.K where as '[short]a hotel' does not.

try 'heirloom' too
a heirloom - sounds clumsy
whilst
an heirloom does not.

Oh and the yanks can fuck off, dropping the 'h' in Herbs is just plain retarded.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

The long and the short of it is that it depends how one pronounces 'a' (ay as in day or a as in apple).

If one says 'ay' hotel : it sounds O.K where as '[short]a hotel' does not.

try 'heirloom' too
a heirloom - sounds clumsy
whilst
an heirloom does not.

Oh and the yanks can fuck off, dropping the 'h' in Herbs is just plain retarded.

Sounds more like it depends on how you pronounce 'hotel'. For me it has a hard h, whereas 'heirloom' has a soft one. So I'd say 'a hotel' but 'an heirloom'.

And I wasn't going to mention 'herbs', but I knew I could rely on you, Tony. :D

That always seems like a bizarre thing to me, especially since as a rule Americans tend to go for the more obvious pronunciation of a word according to its spelling - like 'lieutenant', for example. To take a nice simple word like 'herb' and mangle it into something that sounds not only not like English, but not of this earth... .

Edited for spelling. If you're going to mock someone's pronunication, you have to watch your spelling.

a and an are differentiated by vowels.

ex. i went to a store yesterday

i rode in an airplane today.

if it is a e i o u and sometimes y, you need to use an
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

To take a nice simple word like 'herb' and mangle it into something that sounds not only not like English, but not of this earth... .

you could always use a different word, reefer, pot, cheeba, ganja, sensimilla, weed, trees, instead of calling it herb.;)
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

I know a few Brits that would laugh at you taking the piss
but they might also laugh at your injuries too;)

I would not go thinking they don't have some damned tough guys around there if I were you

I even know a few retirees that would scare you shitless

Aren't thinly-veiled threats of violence what got you banned from Speaker's Corner, too?