shermanator

need prayer

My brother is going to have open heart bypass on Monday. He is only 30. He has two adorable kids, 6 and 4.

I am scared to death, and just overwhelmed right now. If I could skydive, I would do a few jumps to help relax. :(:([:/]:(

Hi Sherm,
I've witnessed dozens of these surgeries. As well as helping to provide followup care for years afterward. It always amazes me how quickly these patients recover. This includes patients in their Seventies & Eighties. Being far younger & stronger. Your brother should recover beautifully. Barring complications, discharge criteria is usually around day five, post-op. Another few weeks, & you won't see any signs of it from a distance. Other than the need for a CABG. You didn't give any history on your brother. As a rule, some of these surgeons err on the side of caution. They tend to tell family members the worst case scenario. That way, they (surgeons) almost always come out smelling like roses after the surgery. It's a major surgery, no doubt. It's often trouble-free as well. I don't pray, either. You do have many well-wishes coming your way, though.