kansasskydiver

SOLVED!!! Geek Help URGEN! - Need to access Raid 0 via 2 usb drives

Laptop mobo bit the dust... Was setup at raid 0 with 2 sata drives. I've made changes since my last backup last week that I urgently need to get the docs. Drives are ok, is there ANY way I can access the raid on another machine using 2 usb enclosures? Please help help help if anyone has any ideas on how to make this work
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

It was a software raid on an intel mobo using their intel matrix storage raid software. I've tried to install the software on another pc and have the drives hooked up via 2 usb external drives but the software does not recognize the drives... I don't have another option of I'd use another mobo with raid capabilities.

I only have files backed up not the raid config :(

It was a software raid on an intel mobo using their intel matrix storage raid software. I've tried to install the software on another pc and have the drives hooked up via 2 usb external drives but the software does not recognize the drives... I don't have another option of I'd use another mobo with raid capabilities.

I only have files backed up not the raid config :(

Can you hook them up as SATA internal?
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

If that's an option I will certainly find a mobo or borrow a computer from someone who has 2 extra sata on it. Where would I go from there?

If these were the only 2 drives in the system, just put them into the other computer in the same configuration. They might be recognized without further steps needed or you may need to run the software.

As long as nothing has been written to either of the formerly mirrored drives/partitions you may be able to recover.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

You are most likely correct, it won't boot, the RAID set has to be in a healthy state and recognized by the hardware before the computer could even attempt to boot the OS on the drives, this would require the computer to have hardware supporting the RAID set.

Getting a little more technical...

It's not purely software RAID, Intel's relies on specific chipsets to support the functionality. You may need to scare up another machine with a chipset that supports it. Also, I'd highly advise AGAINST booting with these drives attached in any machine but one with Intel RAID support; the reason why, is that certain OS's can and will write tiny amounts of data to the drives screwing up the data to a point where you'd need Ontrack or another professional company to do recovery; part of the reason that drives involved with forensic analysis are cloned on write blocked connectors (chain of custody, preservation of the original, etc... being other reasons).

Found this, not vetting it any way: http://www.runtime.org/raid.htm

and this, again, not vetting the info:
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showpost.php?p=3329132&postcount=6

Hope you learned your lesson to not trust RAID 0 and to make backups.

Good luck.

Edit: made a minor clarification

I've made some progress. I have a machine with 2 sets of sata ports. I setup the bios to allow for raid on sata 0 and 1. Now in windows it recognizes the drives are there but doesn't have them setup as raid.

I have a via raid controller and it regonizes the drives as healthy and not in an array, it gives me the option to create a raid 0, if I do this will it erase the data on it or will it just set them up to mount?

All I care about is the data, I don't care if the drives boot up again or not.

Do you think by creating the new array it will erase the data?

Electronaut, thanks to your post and links you found it pointed me in the right direction. I downloaded raid reconstructor and then captain nemo pro and was able to view and am in the process of transfering all the data off the raid! Thank you so much, I'd love to buy you a beer sometime!!! My day just got that much better.

This is always why I've loved the skydiver community, always willing to help a complete stranger in need. Thanks again man I really appreciate it