Celtics85

Cheating and Skydiving

I think she may take a small dose of xanax when I go do my AFF and she will probably be okay and do it.

That's a really really really bad idea.

At least be sure she lets the ride operator know that she's on Xanax. Not fair to put them at additional risk because she's too scared to jump sober. Like skydivers are supposed to do.

I don't mean enough to get her fucked up. She has anxiety. I'm sure there are plenty of jumpers that are prescribed zoloft, valium, etc... that jump. She has been written a prescription just hasnt ever gotten it because she doesnt want to depend on them. But I do agree that she should tell the person jumping with her.
Hallucinations are bad enough. But after a while you learn to cope with things like seeing your dead grandmother crawling up your leg with a knife in her teeth.

Cutaway now and avoid the drama.

Don't you think the people at the DZ should get their turn?

Recycling is not just for paper plastic and aluminum;)

Haha beat me to it ;):P
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, all used up, and loudly proclaiming: Wow, what a ride!

Not fair to put them at additional risk because she's too scared to jump sober. Like skydivers are supposed to do.

But to be fair, jumping sober is a relatively:ph34r: recent innovation in skydiving.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Damn I like the way you think trigirl why hasnt anyone else thought of that. You may have saved my relationship.
Hallucinations are bad enough. But after a while you learn to cope with things like seeing your dead grandmother crawling up your leg with a knife in her teeth.

Get her to learn how to pack! You get to spend time at the DZ together, and everyone's happy. ;)

Damn I like the way you think trigirl why hasnt anyone else thought of that. You may have saved my relationship.

She can pay for your jumps with the cash she earns packing!
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

I think she may take a small dose of xanax when I go do my AFF and she will probably be okay and do it.

That's a really really really bad idea.

At least be sure she lets the ride operator know that she's on Xanax. Not fair to put them at additional risk because she's too scared to jump sober. Like skydivers are supposed to do.

I don't mean enough to get her fucked up. She has anxiety. I'm sure there are plenty of jumpers that are prescribed zoloft, valium, etc... that jump. She has been written a prescription just hasnt ever gotten it because she doesnt want to depend on them. But I do agree that she should tell the person jumping with her.

Thats pretty much the definition of suicidal behavior. You're not even supposed to drive a car whilst on valium, let alone jump out of a fucking air plane.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

I can't take the credit. I've seen that suggestion on several other threads here. Makes sense, though. Lots more to do on the dropzone than just falling out of an airplane.B|
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

I don't mean enough to get her fucked up. She has anxiety. I'm sure there are plenty of jumpers that are prescribed zoloft, valium, etc... that jump.

She hasn't taken them yet, so she has no idea how she'll react to them. Yeah, taking a Xanax before jumping is a GREAT idea. :S

Would you be okay with her ride operator being on Xanax? How about the pilot? How about the rigger who packed the reserve and the packer who packed the main?

Drugs - legal/prescribed or illegal - are for after jumping. Not for before or during. If someone can't jump without a drug to calm them, they have no business in the air.

Oh and btw, before you give us further benefit of your great experience with skydiving and skydivers, I'm not an aashole. I'm a bitch.

I don't want to be one of those Assholes that you seem to have so much trouble with, but I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself. If I understand correctly, you have made a single tandem jump and now you're planning your whole skydiving career, including which drugs to give your girlfriend to get her to jump. Why don't you try AFF first and see if you can get through it and even wish to continue before planning quite so far in the future. Don't give your girlfriend away so quickly. Who knows, you may need a bowling partner. ;)

Remember on the AFP forms there is a question about drug use before jumping?

I answered ABSOLUTELY!

I mean hey that's how all the good ideas came about.

(They knew I was joking )

I seem to recall someone chasing a flare strapped to someones boot, the jumper that was chasing him finally caught up, just in time to realize it was a red light on top of a radio tower.:o

Don't worry he lived.

Many of you jump today and are the beneficiaries of those who did not exactly obey the rules.;)

Things were different then, most people today that would try something would just die.

It doesn't have to be either-or (i.e. your non-skydiving significant other or skydiving). Don't underestimate the value of moderation and variety in your life and in your relationship. Just because you enjoy skydiving doesn't mean that you have to or should give up everything else in your life, including other interests, activities, and friends. If jumping is all you do on the weekends, you'll miss out on other opportunities -- things you and your GF might really enjoy.

My husband isn't a skydiver (he's done a tandem and AFF and loved it, but due to job-related restrictions, he can't take up sport jumping for a while), and our un-official compromise is that we spend one day per weekend at the DZ and the other day doing something he wants to do or that we both want to do. It keeps both of us balanced and happy. Once he's able to take up jumping, too, I think we'll still keep the same weekend arrangement. There's too much to experience in life to spend all your time doing one thing -- even if it's something as awesome as skydiving.

Just something to think about...

Lots of good advice here, including to relax and see how it goes. It's too easy, when you first start jumping, to fall head over heels in love with it and think it's the only thing in the world that matters. Go AFF, get your A license and spend a season or two jumping before you rearrange your whole life. Will you still be with your gf? Time will tell, but I sure can't right now. I'm obviously fairly committed to the sport, but I've had a lot of friends come and go in the sport. Realize it may happen to you.

And as far as her jumping? Everyone's right. If she's got that much anxiety, she probably shouldn't be jumping. Best thing would be to back off the pressure and just let her hang at the DZ. If she learned to pack, that would great. If not, we always need beautiful women at our parties after jumping.I'm sure she'll be welcome. And she just might learn enough about our sport to realize it's not quite as bad as she thinks. Many jumpers started out cautiously.

I appreciate the goog advice from everyone. I know I shouldn't get to far ahead of myself, I've always had a problem with doing that when I enjoyed something the first time. The whole thing about breaking up with my gf was just a joke I'm planning on being with her a long time. She told me that if its something I want to do she supports it. I've just heard some things about how skydiving ruined some relationships, and I asked the question can skydiving all the time be as bad as cheating. On the subject of her taking xanax to jump, I'm not the one who said it she did. Don't get the wrong idea I'm not trying to pressure anything on her. Once again thank you all for the good advice.

Damn you guys ... I already called it.
Serious relationships turn into work after a few weeks and I already got a fucking job :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
H.A.F. = Hard As Fuck ... Goddamn Amateurs

And more ... I'm about 40 minutes west of Nashville for work this week ... Just saying since you're in West TN ... If you want me to hook up with your girlfriend or anything.

Haha maybe I can talk her into going tandem with you so to speak.

Just sayin ... If I hook up with her, she won't be so pissed off when you start cheating on her.

Someone has seen the movie Extract... ;)

Actually I haven't, but downloading as we speak ... Looks interesting ... [url]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1225822[\url]
Serious relationships turn into work after a few weeks and I already got a fucking job :)

Tony D does have dibs

Damn you guys ... I already called it.

Guy comes home late one evening: lipstick on his collar, beer on his breath, perfume on his shirt. Wife says, "Where have you been?"
He says, "I went to the strip club with some of the guys."

She says, "You're not fooling me, asshole. You've been skydiving."
You don't have to outrun the bear.

is it just me, or does this celtics guy seem like a huge douchebag? not re: anything he said specifically in this thread, just in general.

I've never seen him post before, but I specifically like him in this thread. B|