rmsmith

Van explodes - Darwin award?

BELLEVUE, Washington -- A fire that engulfed a van in Bellevue on Wednesday was caused by the passengers filling up the van with gas while it was being driving, Bellevue police investigators said.

The fire burned three people in the van and sent them to Harborview.

Investigators said they spoke to the female victim, who was able to explain the events leading up to the explosion.

The woman said she and her two friends had bought gas at a Factoria gas station, but were having trouble keeping the van running. She said they didn't have a gas can, so they filled an open bucket with two gallons of gas and put it in the van.

The engine cowling -- a piece of metal that covered the engine and which was located between the two front seats of the van -- had been removed, the woman said. The passengers used a water bottle to transfer gas from the bucket directly into the carburetor in order to keep the engine running.

The van was filled with gas fumes as the three drove east on Kamber Road, the woman said. The van stalled just before 145 Place Southeast and as the driver tried to restart the van, it exploded.

The van became fully engulfed in flames and started rolling backward, investigators said.

http://www.kirotv.com/video/26557595/index.html

AWESOME!

Its pretty hard to be that creative.

I know some body had to say, "What could possibly go wrong?"
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Only eligible for a runner up prize unless they were rendered unable to reproduce.

thank you!
at least someone else knows the rules to a darwin award. lol. ;)
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

Only eligible for a runner up prize unless they were rendered unable to reproduce.

thank you!
at least someone else knows the rules to a darwin award. lol. ;)

last winner in the NSFW thread, (the self castrator) ...one of the few living recepients...

lol. must have missed that one. . .

hear the one about the guy who loved to have a "unloaded" shotgun pointed at his nuts by his wife as she pulled the trigger? yeah one day it wasnt unloaded. . . i shit you not, cant make this stuff up :D:ph34r:
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

You only get a Darwin Award if you die and/or take yourself completely out of the gene pool. What they get is an honorable mention.:S

Incorrect.

From the wiki:

Rules

Wendy Northcutt, owner of the DarwinAwards.com web site, has stated five requirements for her Darwin Award:
[edit] Inability to reproduce

* Nominee must be dead or rendered sterile.

Sometimes this can be a matter of dispute. Potential awardees may be out of the gene pool due to age; others have already reproduced before their deaths. To avoid debates about the possibility of in-vitro fertilization, artificial insemination, or cloning, the original Darwin Awards book applied the following "deserted island" test to potential winners: If the person would be unable to reproduce when stranded on a deserted island with a fertile member of the opposite sex, he or she would be considered sterile. Winners of the award, in general, are either dead or become unable to use their sexual organs.

[edit] Excellence

* Astoundingly stupid judgment.

The candidate's foolishness must be unique and sensational, likely because the award is intended to be funny. A number of foolish but common activities, such as smoking in bed, are excluded from consideration.[5] In contrast, self-immolation caused by smoking after being administered a flammable ointment in a hospital and specifically told not to smoke[6] is grounds for nomination. One 'Honorable Mention' (a man who attempted suicide by swallowing nitroglycerine pills, and then tried to detonate them by running into a wall) is noted to be in this category, despite being intentional and self-inflicted, which would normally disqualify the inductee.[7]

[edit] Self-selection

* Cause of one's own demise.

Killing a friend with a hand grenade would not be eligible, but killing oneself while manufacturing a homemade chimney-cleaning device from a grenade would be eligible.[8] To earn a Darwin Award, the candidate must have killed him- or herself, rather than a third party.

[edit] Maturity

* Capable of sound judgment.

The nominee must be at least past the legal driving age and free of mental defect (Northcutt considers injury or death caused by mental defect to be tragic, rather than amusing, and routinely disqualifies such entries). After much discussion, there also exists a small category regarding deaths below this age limit. Entry into this category requires that the peers of the candidate be of the opinion that the actions of the person in question were above and beyond the limits of reason in their opinions.

[edit] Veracity

* The event must be verified.

The story must be documented by reliable sources: i.e., reputable newspaper articles, confirmed television reports, or responsible eyewitnesses. If a story is found to be untrue, it is disqualified, but particularly amusing ones are placed in the urban legend section of the archives. Despite this requirement, many of the stories are fictional, often appearing as "original submissions" and presenting no further sources than unverified (and unreliable) "eyewitnesses". Most such stories on Northcutt's Darwin Awards site are filed in the Personal Accounts section.

In addition, later revisions to the qualification criteria add several requirements that have not been made into formalized 'rules': innocent bystanders cannot be in danger, and the qualifying event must be caused without deliberate intent (to prevent glory-seekers from purposely injuring themselves solely to win a Darwin).

hear the one about the guy who loved to have a "unloaded" shotgun pointed at his nuts by his wife as she pulled the trigger? yeah one day it wasnt unloaded. . . i shit you not, cant make this stuff up :D:ph34r:

:o Crap, a little Hunter's Ed could have gone a long way on this one. If I were to do something like that for a stunt I can't tell you how many times I'd check the chamber on that shotgun. :S:D

:o Crap, a little Hunter's Ed could have gone a long way on this one. If I were to do something like that for a stunt I can't tell you how many times I'd check the chamber on that shotgun. :S:D

well, theres THAT, and im kind of curious as to how he found this fetish. . . . .:S LMAO

death is never funny.

but sometimes the ways people die are funny

I like watching the show "1000 Ways To Die" on Spike. Always interesting... ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban