NewGuy2005

Just watched Dune

depends on which version you watched....

I thought the movie with Kyle Maclachlan and Sting followed the storyline reasonably well but you still had to have read the book to "get" some of the stuff. I thought the acting was OK and it did a good job of letting that art deco era/machine-age "feel" get through. (yah, I know it was published in the 60s but the book really had that 1930s science-fiction feel). Didn't really care for the William Hurt version.

Funny you should post this. I watched the first four hours of the Hurt version before seeing your post. Going to watch the last couple today.

I like the depth of this version. I preferred the presentation of the 80's version. And Sting was a great Feyd.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Good Lord, it was awful. I can imagine how fans of the book must have felt.

The movie didn't do the books justice, in my opinion.
Read the books, they're great.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

the newer movie is by far better than the old one.

neither movie comes even close to giving the book justice. i have read dune so many times i cant remember. there are around 16 17 books in the dune universe. frank herberts son did a fairly good job of finishing the series and the prologue books.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

Do you also think the new Star Wars is better than the old? Just trying to get a frame of reference.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

neither movie comes even close to giving the book justice. i have read dune so many times i cant remember. there are around 16 17 books in the dune universe. frank herberts son did a fairly good job of finishing the series and the prologue books.

I haven't read the new ones that finish the series, but the originals and the prolouge books are fabulous.

I've only seen parts of the movies, and they didn't hold much interest for me.

But I haven't seen any novel turned onto a decent movie. There's just too much depth in a good novel to put into a 2-3 hr movie, or even (with a few notable exceptions) a 8-10 hr mini-series.
Short stories do much better as movies IMO.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

i not really a fan of star wars, but i like the ones with luke skywalker.

edited to add: the newer dune movie follows the story line better than the older one. wtf is up with it raining at the end of the old pos movie?

both movies did a horrible job of portraying the bene gesserit.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

I haven't seen the new one but wasn't impressed with what I saw. Maybe if I got into it. I take the original movie to be something based upon the book. There's just too much mythology to fit into a movie so I'll forgive that. If it were not anyone other than Lynch and Dino de Laurentis then it would've been stripped to nothing.

I haven't seen the new one but wasn't impressed with what I saw. Maybe if I got into it. I take the original movie to be something based upon the book. There's just too much mythology to fit into a movie so I'll forgive that. If it were not anyone other than Lynch and Dino de Laurentis then it would've been stripped to nothing.

Actually there are 2 versions of the Dino de Laurentis' production. The original theatrical version directed by David Lynch and a more in depth version with same cast but different director, Alan Smithee.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

Actually there are 2 versions of the Dino de Laurentis' production. The original theatrical version directed by David Lynch and a more in depth version with same cast but different director, Alan Smithee.

Ah yes, old Alan Smithee. He's done some phine qwerk.