PLFXpert

Movie: A Single Man

Nothing in the trailer appeals to me at all. I'm not inclined to go see a film just because the director is a fashion designer and that trailer looks like a bullshit ad for some perfume, not a movie. If it wins enough awards I guess I'll be more or less forced to see it just to find out why.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

The trailer does not appeal to me, either, but I rarely--if ever--see a trailer before picking a movie.

I am a bit of fan of Tom Ford, though, artistically speaking.

It_is_nominated for several awards, but I never pay enough attention to see who wins for what, nor do I really care. I do pay attention to nominations, though.

Thanks for your reply. Knew you'd be the first, but hoped to hear from someone who had gone to see it.
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Thanks for your reply. Knew you'd be the first, but hoped to hear from someone who had gone to see it.

I'd read some positive reviews so it's on my Netflix queue but it doesn't intrigue me enough to go see it in the theater (but then again, not much does - I maybe see half a dozen movies a year in the theater).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I'd read some positive reviews so it's on my Netflix queue but it doesn't intrigue me enough to go see it in the theater (but then again, not much does - I maybe see half a dozen movies a year in the theater).

I have heard some really wonderful things from normally trustworthy sources. I LOVE a good movie, but these days I thank God for the sources, because otherwise it is a waste of time.

I am with you about going to the theater. In fact--I have not been in years. Ironic, I know, but for me it is not as isolating and all-encompassing as home. I like to get engrossed...until I have to pee, and then I like to pause. B|:P

The trailer does not appeal to me, either, but I rarely--if ever--see a trailer before picking a movie.

Then how do you know if you're even vaguely interested in it? Just word of mouth? Reviewers?

I hate most reviewers because for them, it's easy to call everything crap and be right 90% of the time.

Trailers usually give me a much better feeling for whether or not it's something that would actually excite me. I will admit there is a horrible tendency to give away too much during a trailer, but you generally can tell quite a bit from them.

(Besides which, for me, they're almost impossible to avoid.)
quade -

I hate most reviewers because for them, it's easy to call everything crap and be right 90% of the time.

Sad but true. [:/] And not just for movie reviewers.

Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Then how do you know if you're even vaguely interested in it?

Many factors contribute: Plot, Characters, Awards/Nominations, Cast, Originality, Etc. and yes, Word of Mouth from reliable sources.

What appeals to me about this movie is the director, the plot--specfically Tom Ford directing a film about a psycologically troubled scholar.

Then how do you know if you're even vaguely interested in it?

Many factors contribute: Plot, Characters, Awards/Nominations, Cast, Originality, Etc. and yes, Word of Mouth from reliable sources.

Still, the trailer is normally a person's first glimpse at most of that, although I'm not really certain how anybody can ascertain a movie's originality without actually seeing it in full.

What appeals to me about this movie is the director, the plot--specfically Tom Ford directing a film about a psycologically troubled scholar.

I'll have to take a look at the screenplay if I can find it.

Edited to add;
Ah, adapted screenplay.

First time screenwriter & director . . . I dunno about that. I have a stinky feeling he was given the gig more for his name in fashion than his name in film and you now have me intrigued as to what somebody may have seen in the script to give him the cash to make it.
quade -

Still, the trailer is normally a person's first glimpse at most of that, although I'm not really certain how anybody can ascertain a movie's originality without actually seeing it in full.

I get it; you prefer trailers.

and you now have me intrigued as to what somebody may have seen in the script to give him the cash to make it.

He financed it himself.

NY Times

I get it; you prefer trailers.

Not really. I just see them as part of the entire process and not something to avoid.

Titles, loglines, one sheets, trailers; these elements are taken into consideration before a lot of very successful screenwriters type the words "FADE IN:".

He financed it himself.

Interesting.
quade -

Not really. I just see them as part of the entire process and not something to avoid.

Part of_your_process.

When I hear accolades about a film from trusted sources, in addition to learning the film is largely character-driven with an intelligent and psychologically-troubled main character (my favorite), and_then_discover that a provocative virtuoso whom I regard is trying his hand for the first time directing with_complete_creative_control, why would I need to see the trailer as part of the process in deciding whether or not to see the film?

http://twcawards.com/assets/downloads/pdf/ASM_Screenplay.pdf

I read the first 20. Although it's sort of clear what is intended, I can't imagine this getting past a reader and the usual script sales process. He obviously knows what he wants, but I think makes some assumptions that wouldn't be completely obvious to the audience.

Ok, screw it. Now I'm going to have to go see this just to see if it's as clear on screen as I think he thinks it is on the page but really isn't.

Well, at least it's playing at the art house near UCI. I don't have to drive up town to see it. Probably Thursday or Friday depending on the rain.
quade -

Well, at least it's playing at the art house near UCI. I don't have to drive up town to see it. Probably Thursday or Friday depending on the rain.

Take your time. I will not see it until its Netflix DVD release. :P

http://twcawards.com/...f/ASM_Screenplay.pdf

I read the first 20...

Oh, I also rarely--if ever--read a screenplay. We can have a discussion about that, if you like. :P

Oh, I also rarely--if ever--read a screenplay. We can have a discussion about that, if you like. :P

Very few people outside of the business ever do. In fact, very few INSIDE the business ever crack one open. And generally speaking, why would they. It's like looking at a blue print instead of the actual building.

That said . . . since it's Tom Ford's first script . . . I simply had to. Couldn't resist.

There is an interesting side note on the inside cover sheet that, again, most people outside the business wouldn't understand. It's the use of the word "and" as in "written by Tom Ford and David Scearce". This also looks like David Scearce's first script, but the way credits work, Ford took a first pass on it and Scearce did enough of a rewrite to it that the WGA gives him credit for the final draft. If there had been a "&" it would have meant they were actual writing partners.

Ya, ya, trivial and pedantic I know, ;) but I'd love to find Ford's actual first draft. The one I linked is the one "for your consideration" that Academy members would read when nominating for best screenplay.

(Insert dozens of other snarky comments by quade about script formatting here.)
quade -

Did you read the NY Times piece I linked? It gives a brief history.

Yeah, but baffling about the actual parentage of the final draft when looked at in conjunction with the actual credits on the script itself. I don't know, maybe it's something they negotiated since he's the director and had the big bag of money.
quade -

It is a beautiful film; not one that requires a theater to get full impact, but watch it in a calm environment when you are not wound up or antsy.

I watched it on a day when I was a bit overwhelmed with all that had been suddenly thrown on my plate and decided to screw it all for a couple hours and sit down and watch this film I had had for more than a week. It turned out to be the perfect thing.

I really love the vibrant color contrasts. :)
"Nature is cruel, but we don't have to be." ~ Temple Grandin

I finally saw this. Thought it was pretty good. (4 out of 5 stars ;) I watched it alone, when I was feeling sort of down, and it was the perfect thing for my moment too.

I, too, really liked the use of color/tone (whatever you would call it?) to make the viewer feel a part of the emotion he was feeling.

I will admit there is a horrible tendency to give away too much during a trailer, but you generally can tell quite a bit from them.

Even worse is the conglomerate juggernauts like Time Warner where the magazine is reviewing a movie distributed by its parent company. They would probably give Ishtar 4 stars. :P

I hate those trailers that appear to give you the whole movie. Whatever happened to the slow tease?B|