aphid

Doesn't she have something more important to do?

If it were my niece, cousin, etc, I would probably like to know. But that's just me.

There are ways to keep people updated without the blow-by-blow.

For example, a FB friend did the following yesterday:

Yesterday morning: "Hospital called. [Wife] says 'it's go time!'"

No updates for 7 hours.

Yesterday afternoon: "She has arrived! [baby name, weight]. Mom and baby are doing very well. Pictures later."

Later yesterday afternoon - photo of dad with baby.

Now, I don't have mom on FB, so I don't know if she was doing any more detailed updating of her own, but it seems like dad's approach gave plenty of info without needing to detail every single step of the process.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

If it were my niece, cousin, etc, I would probably like to know. But that's just me.

There are ways to keep people updated without the blow-by-blow.

For example, a FB friend did the following yesterday:

Yesterday morning: "Hospital called. [Wife] says 'it's go time!'"

No updates for 7 hours.

Yesterday afternoon: "She has arrived! [baby name, weight]. Mom and baby are doing very well. Pictures later."

Later yesterday afternoon - photo of dad with baby.

Now, I don't have mom on FB, so I don't know if she was doing any more detailed updating of her own, but it seems like dad's approach gave plenty of info without needing to detail every single step of the process.

No "She's at 8cm now! Pic below" ?
:ph34r:
Remster

I'm going into surgery tomorrow morning.

Hey Robert, I hope it's nothing serious.

I'll see if I can get a few tweets in before the anesthesia takes over.B|

Oh, do 'em right as you're getting all loopy and F-ed up. Those would be the best tweets ever. B|:D

Two months ago, I slipped and fell on ice on the concrete slab in front of my house.
I had years of practice falling in martial arts, so it would not have been a big deal...but...as the rest of my body landed lightly on the slab, my face came down over the raised concrete step next to the slab.:S

I didn't need the radiologist to tell me my nose was broken, I heard and felt the bone crush.
I pushed the cartilage back into place in front of the mirror before going into ER.
The radiologist classified it as comminuted, (medical term for "too-many-pieces-to-count").
A week later, the ENT/Facial Surgeon pushed the bone portion back to the left to make it symmetrical.

Today's surgery was to restore everything back to the way it was before the impact with concrete.

Thank goodness I paid that ridiculous amount of money for these super-light-weight computer glasses.
They perch on top of the bandages, and I can't even tell they are there.

Oh, and I found a new stalkee: Kim, the cute nurse in the recovery room.:)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

...pushed the bone portion back to the left to make it symmetrical.

I boxed in college, had my beak bent and bloodied but never broken...I use to HATE to fight this kid from ISU, he had NO cartilage in his nose at all it seemed, hit him and it would just flatten out on his face then pop back out. :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

...pushed the bone portion back to the left to make it symmetrical.

I boxed in college, had my beak bent and bloodied but never broken...I use to HATE to fight this kid from ISU, he had NO cartilage in his nose at all it seemed, hit him and it would just flatten out on his face then pop back out. :ph34r:

Funny story I got from a guy recently:

He got into some trouble as a kid and got sentenced to community service.
One day as part of his community service, he and some other miscreants provided an opposing softball team to play against a group of recovering alcoholics.
In the course of the game, he tried to catch a ball which wen into the sun as it approached, so he started to turn away and the ball caught him in the side of the nose, breaking it badly.

(Now something I've learned from the misadventure: You have about 30 minutes to set a broken nose before it swells so badly that the doctor can no longer visually set it. That is why I had to wait a week before the doctor recentered my nose. But back to my story...)

Now it seems our troublesome kid had a bit of luck that day: One of the recovering alcoholics was an MD.:D

Working fast to beat the swelling, he grabbed a couple twigs, stripping off the bark, and whittling one end round, then pushed rounded ends up the kids nose, and used the twigs to lever the nose back into position.:o
The guy's nose looks fine today.

Oh, and the troubled kid;
He is now an MD specializing in hand orthopedics, which is how I met him.B|
(But that is another story).
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

It's all about documenting and collecting now. YouTube hits, blog posts, Facebook friends, videos of everything we used to actually experience: life through a lens.

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody records it on his iPhone, did it actually happen?

Aren't skydivers the original "If it isn't on video, it didn't happen" crowd?

Looked like a wet St. Bernard coming in through the cat door!
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Two months ago, I slipped and fell on ice on the concrete slab in front of my house.
I had years of practice falling in martial arts, so it would not have been a big deal...but...as the rest of my body landed lightly on the slab, my face came down over the raised concrete step next to the slab.:S

I didn't need the radiologist to tell me my nose was broken, I heard and felt the bone crush.
I pushed the cartilage back into place in front of the mirror before going into ER.
The radiologist classified it as comminuted, (medical term for "too-many-pieces-to-count").
A week later, the ENT/Facial Surgeon pushed the bone portion back to the left to make it symmetrical.

Today's surgery was to restore everything back to the way it was before the impact with concrete.

Thank goodness I paid that ridiculous amount of money for these super-light-weight computer glasses.
They perch on top of the bandages, and I can't even tell they are there.

Oh, and I found a new stalkee: Kim, the cute nurse in the recovery room.:)

Yada yada yada... What happened to the concrete step?:P

A retired buddy has the best voicemail ever...

"Sorry I missed your call, I'm out living my life...leave a message, I'll call you back at MY convenience" B|

Wow, I might steal that! there is no reason i should be accessible by internet or phone at any time, other than my own desire and convenience (or when on call for a birth obviously).

this day/age of presumed accessibility of everyone, all the time, drives me crazy (and yes i am 23, and yes that is weird, and yes i don't have a tv which is even weirder lol)

But really, people get MAD when you don't pick up immediately, or if you take a day or so to call back? geez i have a life too... it involves interacting with REAL LIVE people (for the most part haha) so hard to comprehend eh?? wtf.

I love that, Jim..
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

this day/age of presumed accessibility of everyone, all the time, drives me crazy

I know, right?

and yes i am 23, and yes that is weird, and yes i don't have a tv which is even weirder lol

Actually that's pretty cool. I've found that people who don't have a TV to be the most interesting and well adjusted individuals on the planet!

But really, people get MAD when you don't pick up immediately, or if you take a day or so to call back?

Meh...just stick to your guns. In a couple more years they'll get used to it.;)
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

... but you CAN be too connected in this day and age...

absolutely 100% true. people not expect you to always answer the phone, or read a email/text immediately, and if you dont, there it something wrong with ... you. my wife and i shut off the phones at night, to avoid the useless jabber, work and non work related. i remember the good old days when you would be working outside, the phone would ring, and you would just continue on. and the caller would realize you were either not home, or simply busy...and not freak out.

I read an article a few weeks back titled "Things Babies Born in 2011 Will Never Know." It was a long list of items from paper maps to land lines, but at the very bottom was my favorite: HIDING. Basically the accompanying paragraph said what you just wrote. Someone would call and if you answered great, but if not, there was no way of knowing if the person was dead or busy or hiding, and it WAS NO BIG DEAL. I haven't had a phone in over a month and I deactivated my facebook recently, and I LOVE it. I really think everyone is way too connected.