FFAddict

gear

I think ive decided on the canopy, what do you guys think?

But when it comes to the container i cant decide, which, if any, do you think looks better?

Constructive criticisim welcome :)

Make sure if you get any white, you scotchguard and invest in some Mr Clean Magic Markers and Shout wipes. I have thus far kept my white clean using that stuff.

Oh another thing...have you thought about used for your first rig? You could save a ton of cash for more jumps. That is what I did and got a new container a year later.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

Oh another thing...have you thought about used for your first rig? You could save a ton of cash for more jumps. That is what I did and got a new container a year later.

That's great advice right there.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Thanks for all your input guys, im still not 100% but i think im going to go for container4 or a slight variation of it.

Although i love the look of the white panels in contrast with the black i think it will look good for about 5 jumps and then its not going to look all that white anymore :(

I realise that as im a relatively new jumper second hand gear might be a good idea for me, but at the moment ive got the money and if i dont invest in something i love like skydiving ill just spend it on something ill regret (drink, food, women...) and that i wont get as much joy out of.

My only comment is that rig pic #1 has the same color for the cutaway pillow and the webbing it's attached to.

I personally prefer my cutaway handle to be contrasting and obvious from anything else in the area. (And classic red, just in case.)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

I realise that as im a relatively new jumper second hand gear might be a good idea for me, but at the moment ive got the money and if i dont invest in something i love like skydiving ill just spend it on something ill regret (drink, food, women...) and that i wont get as much joy out of.

Then invest that money in quality training, specifically canopy coaching and FS/FF.

Why spend all that money on a new set of kit when you will want to change it soon enough.

You havent stated what canopy you intend to buy, but I am assuming you will get something comensurate with your skill level, possibly a Sillouette, Saphire, Spectre or something similar.

You will find that you will want to upgrade your canopy very quickly, possibly downsizing as you go along. Brand new kit reduces your ability to do this, and can even cause you to make unwise decisions, such as choosing a smaller higher performance canopy than is suitable.

There is plenty of second hand kit on the market that is fine for the transition phase from novice/intermediate to experienced canopy pilot.

You will also find that money spent on good quality canopy coaching could reduce this time frame, resulting in you buying a set of kit that is suited to you sooner and therefore likely to be useful for much longer.

My canopy progresion was as follows:-

SL/FF Manta 50 jumps
PD 210 30 jumps
PD 190 20 jumps
Sabre 170 50 Jumps
Jonathan 150 800 jumps
Stiletto 150 400 Jumps

I also attended the Perris Perfomance Canopy school last year at the advanced level, something I wish had been about when I started jumping. That may have prevented me risering myself into the ground and busting my ankle causing a 5 month delay between jump number 599 and 600.

These are just my thoughts and you should get advice from the instructors at your DZ, although I would be wary of the advice given by anyonme trying to sell you kit ;)

Buzz
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

freekflyguy please dont think i dont appreciate that you are only trying to give advice to an obviously less experienced skydiver because i do.
But i have spoken to many skydivers, instructors and, although they wanna make money, people in my DZ shop and i have decided that with the container and canopy size i am getting i will not only get my moneys worth but i also have the option of downsizing canopy at a later stage without changing my container.
This may be a bit of a noob decision but its what i have decided to do.

Anyway back to the threads subject, what do you guys think of the green in this container? i think it looks quite cool but im not sure what it would be like on the real thing

It's a nice rig and I think the rig itself will last you 470 jumps. If you plan to stay under a wingload of 1.3 for 500 jumps that is. We, in holland, can't jump anything above 1.3 before we have 500 jumps. Don't konw what the rules are in england though. Keep in mind that you'll probably want a smaller canopy in hundred jumps. Only you can decide if it's a good choice for you...;)

To Reiterate what most people have said in the past... the best judge of your skill level is the instructors that have seen you jump.

but typically down sizing too quickly is a recipe for disaster...

Scott

Said as I run for cover...
-----------------------------------------------------