Calvin19

Older single engine jet fighter scrapes tail cone in the ground?

I need to know if I made this up when I was younger or not.

I remember seeing video of a single engine fighter (something like an F-86) at an air-show coming out of a maneuver low and hits the tail on the ground and flying away without substantial damage. The pilot lands and inspects the aircraft to find the tail cone/nozzle is bent in from the impact.

Has anyone else ever heard of this? I would venture to say it happened 15-30 years ago. I think I saw the video when I was around 18. (2003)

-SPACE-

:)"Miasis Dragon". (Variations in spelling of that name was used for several 8th AF planes during the war). :)

"The Eiger Sanction" by Trevanian, (made into a 1975 movie);
The boss who sends Eastwood's character on the mission was "Yurassis Dragon".
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

It was a Mig-15. I have never seen a video of it, only still shots. He was incredibly lucky to get away with that one.

[img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a234/BE427TJ/Y-Net%20Photos/MiG-17tail-dragcrop.jpg[/img]

That is a loowwwwwww pass.

He was coming out of a maneuver, I cannot remember if it was a loop or split S. The video was pretty impressive. it was not a little tap, the mig slammed into the deck pretty hard and had a few pitch oscillations as a result. I think that picture is just as he came in, a few milliseconds later the tail would be even more in the dirt. As I remember it bent the engine nozzle so it was about 20% crushed closed.

-SPACE-