turtlespeed

Diabetes Anyone?

My father, my mother and both my sisters - Type 2 DM. All but my mother require/required insulin. Me? Nope. I do check it, but my HgbA1C was last checked in Dec and it's looking good.

Watch those carbs. Keep the weight controlled. Exercise.

What she said. Low-carb is the way to go to keep it managed.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/ One of my favorite sites on the topic of eating real food and avoiding grains, sugar, rice, etc... all the simple carbs our body hasn't evolved to eat. I'm not diabetic (but it does run in my family, so I'm very aware of it) but I know a lot of people who've been able to successfully manage diabetes through lower-carb eating.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

My father, my mother and both my sisters - Type 2 DM. All but my mother require/required insulin. Me? Nope. I do check it, but my HgbA1C was last checked in Dec and it's looking good.

Watch those carbs. Keep the weight controlled. Exercise.

What she said. Low-carb is the way to go to keep it managed.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/ One of my favorite sites on the topic of eating real food and avoiding grains, sugar, rice, etc... all the simple carbs our body hasn't evolved to eat. I'm not diabetic (but it does run in my family, so I'm very aware of it) but I know a lot of people who've been able to successfully manage diabetes through lower-carb eating.

so far
20 units am 20 units pm
+ what is needed on sliding scale

I have stabbed myself 7 times today.

stupid sugar is still above 270
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

20 units am 20 units pm

That sucks. But you CAN manage this. Get the carbs out of your diet. It's HARD. I LOVE potatoes and pasta. Make it fresh fruit and protein. Your body doesn't use insulin like others do. The high carbs and simple sugars can't make it into the cells. So even though you might be eating ok, and high blood sugars, the cells themselves are starving. (then the high blood sugars are "stuck" on the hemoglobin like little shards of glass tearing up your kidneys, retina, nerves.... getting those sugars down is critical)

Please don't lose motivation to get it under control. You honestly CAN do this. :)

I've been a juvenile diabetic for 15+ years and use to have to stab myself 6-9 times a day and still had an A1C of 10.0+! It was lame until my endocrineologist recommended an insulin pump. My A1C has been under 7.0 for a few years now and it makes life a lot easier! Good luck with the health concerns and hang in there...

Father has been insulin dependent over 30 years. I had a client who was an expert in the field. He said the way I live my life, it will never catch me. Clean diet and strenuous exercise will prevail.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Father has been insulin dependent over 30 years. I had a client who was an expert in the field. He said the way I live my life, it will never catch me. Clean diet and strenuous exercise will prevail.

yes and no.

I'm guessing that your father had DM Type 2, the post above you seems like a Type 1 situation.

Type 1 - pancreas doesn't make insulin.
Type 2 - insulin is made, but the body is resistant to it.

With type 2, diet (low carb) and exercise is VERY important.

With type 1.... yeah, they're stuck with an insulin pump. [:/]

20 units am 20 units pm

That sucks. But you CAN manage this. Get the carbs out of your diet. It's HARD. I LOVE potatoes and pasta. Make it fresh fruit and protein. Your body doesn't use insulin like others do. The high carbs and simple sugars can't make it into the cells. So even though you might be eating ok, and high blood sugars, the cells themselves are starving. (then the high blood sugars are "stuck" on the hemoglobin like little shards of glass tearing up your kidneys, retina, nerves.... getting those sugars down is critical)

Please don't lose motivation to get it under control. You honestly CAN do this. :)

I make plenty of insulin - evidently I just don't like the stuff I make.[:/]
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

Type one for 11 or 12 years, been using an insulin pump for 7 or 8 years.

IT SUCKS!!!!! but there are far worse afflictions out there!

I agree, it could be worse.

But damn . . .

it could be worse.