freeflyfree

Patrick de Gayardon in Facebook

Nice to find a page in his memory, but came accross this commentary posted here at the end.

After many years I hear an eyewitness account of what happened that day...

here's the commentary:

"Patrick,
Your arrogance and ignorance bought you the end ticket,
After personally hearing you tell the packer "NO I WILL NOT MISS THE LOAD THE PAD IS GOING FLAP FLAP FLAP, is creating drag... No good No good you must tack it to the bottom of ...my container carefully, carefully.
I witnessed and remember with perfect clarity how the packer then told you, you must then miss a load so they I can un-pack your rig,"super tacK' the pad to the bottom of your container, and then re-pack your main, and how you made a scene and told NO NO NOT ACCEPTABLE, I Shall NOT MeeesSS THE NEXT LOAD"
(insert snobby french indulgent accent here) the packer then did what you ordered it to do, EXACTLY how you told them to do it.
I then watched you pound into the banana trees due to your skygod arrogance.

Thankfully I had already loaded my bags into the car to go the airport, and drove off to the skybar to fly back state-side, while other fools were spriniting to see your splattered remains in the dirt you deservedly burned into.

What a hell of a memory you left with that packer, to simply catch the next load.
I only had nearly 500 jumps, but even my inexperienced self saw, and witnessed the foolishness of your egotistical ways.

The sooner that skydivers no longer worship fools such as yourself, and end "Whitewashing" the fact that your foolish decicison ended tyour worthless life, ande recognize frankly, that all you have contributed to human existance, was your self inflarted ego, and some really tacky commercials, and a blight on the sport of skydiving.
Once folks realize this, the better the world and skydiving will be.
Shotz!
P.S. I am willing to testify, and have the ability to prove the facts as stated.

it's here towards the comment dated March 7, 2010 at 11:04pm
--
Blue Skies
NO FEARS, NO LIMITS, NO MONEY...
"A Subitánea et Improvísa Morte, Líbera nos, Domine."

We all knew the incredibly bad decision that brought about his death. No reason to gloat about it.

Patrick was a hell of a pioneer. We owe him a lot. May the rest of us remember him as that, and may his death be a cautionary tale to us when we get too complacent.

I don't think the poster is gloating. I think he is heartbroken. And pissed off.

I knew and respected Patrick long before he became an incredible pioneer in our sport; and long before he became famous. He let his ego get in the way of his common sense. I too am heartbroken. And pissed off.

Compliancy kills. But we still owe him a lot!

And to paraphrase, you are right John, we need to learn from his mistake.

***There's being "right" and there's having class.

Those comments may be right, but they certainly have no class.

Agree 100% Also is been said: All great Architects have great egos, I guess the same can be said about great skydivers, I m yet to know the first one without a great ego to add to the problem there is also shitty skydivers with great egos and nothing to show for those I have problems with!
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

We all knew the incredibly bad decision that brought about his death. No reason to gloat about it.

Patrick was a hell of a pioneer. We owe him a lot. May the rest of us remember him as that, and may his death be a cautionary tale to us when we get too complacent.

------------------------------------------------------------
Ok so I definately don't know shit about what happened. I understand there was a problem with the main...why didnt go for silver?

as described in the first post, you shouldn't stick needles in a packed rig.

As I understand some fabric or lines got caught by the needle/thread while doing some experimentation on a wingsuit butt-deflector. The main wouldnt deploy/cutaway properly, and the reserve got caught in the mess
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Also sounds like this patrick guy owes money to that packer.
Imagine working your ass off all day and not get paid.

as mentionned in post number 2

:|
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

It got trapped in the main container by a modification that he wanted done to make a better airfoil for wing suit flying.

The super tack apparently got stitched to the main d-bag or a portion of the main canopy or lines and the reserve was fired into the horse shoe like malfunction. This resulted in a main reserve entanglement that was of no use, not enough drag to survive the impact.

All written from memory, so please excuse any missed details.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Also sounds like this patrick guy owes money to that packer.
Imagine working your ass off all day and not get paid.

as mentionned in post number 2

:|

Sorry, Piis, but I laughed at that. It's the dark humor that helps us bear tragedy. It's certainly not uncommon in our sport. [:/]

Having an ego is part of the personality type of all skydivers. Nothing unusual about that. But I never thought of Patrick as arrogant. And that's saying quite a bit since he was French. ;) Yeah, he should've known more about rigging precautions. Tommy Pirus should have recoginzed a small pilot chute in a too large pouch. He should also have turned his Cypress on. We need to learn from the mistakes of others. We can't possibly make them all ourselves and survive.

Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Dude, I'm not joking.
So far I have 150 dollar worth of pack job not being paid due to
Injury and fatality.
It really sucks when you go home and think that
"What if I didn't make that 5 min call for the guy??"
I felt bad for couple times but now I just get pissed.
You fucking didn't pay me, and You also slowed down the dz so my other cutomer won't jump for the day or atleast slow down for the moment when the ambulence is out at the landing area.

and probably skygods tend to be late on payment.
and what if this packer worked on his second or third day of "I'll pay you tommrow when I collect enough tips."
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

Dude, I'm not joking.
So far I have 150 dollar worth of pack job not being paid due to
Injury and fatality.
It really sucks when you go home and think that
"What if I didn't make that 5 min call for the guy??"
I felt bad for couple times but now I just get pissed.
You fucking didn't pay me, and You also slowed down the dz so my other cutomer won't jump for the day or atleast slow down for the moment when the ambulence is out at the landing area.

and probably skygods tend to be late on payment.
and what if this packer worked on his second or third day of "I'll pay you tommrow when I collect enough tips."

If you were a good packer you would know to go looking for his wallet while everyone else is out looking at the mess :P
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)