warpedskydiver

The Audi A6 Quattro ate another turbo

So we have to choose whether to repair it, it has 186k on it, with a new clutch just got the new hood and grill in a box, it has all four brakes all replaced, calipers too.

If you were going to buy a very nice reliable used car with halfway decent mileage what would you buy and why?

Something that is about the same size would be ideal.

I think our max price would be about 25K

The turbos I could afford, the labor is astronomical as it requires pulling the front end off and the motor and trans.

14 hours of labor just to get the engine and trans out.

I'd second the previous vote for a Lexus AWD. Lexus are incredibly reliable and maintenance is very cheap since it's Toyota parts. (Just dont get anything done at a Lexus delaership or they charge you out the ass.)

I bought an 05 RX 330 AWD with 40k miles for $8k below blue book and I love it. Get's 22 overall mpg. (City and HWY combined.)

Another great thing about Lexus is they are in the luxury class of vehicle but with the Toyota backing. I had the luxury of shopping for one for around 9 months and noticed that you only have 1 big round of depreciation, when its sold new off the lot. After that they hold their value very well. (The reason I got such a deal on mine is a looked for 9 months for the exact combo of features and a good price then drove 4 hours once way to get it.)

It's common to find VERY good deals on used Lexus vehicles between 40k and 55k miles because thats when people turn in their leases.
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

Vorsprung Durch Technik :ph34r::ph34r:[:/]

Another turbo:S after only 186K. Seems you need to learn how to spin up and spin down a turbo,
Starting a turbo engine from cold and driving immidiatly is a sure way to reduce it's life,
same as stopping the engine after a trip.

Turbo's need time to warm up and cool down.

Gone fishing

Vorsprung Durch Technik :ph34r::ph34r:[:/]

Another turbo:S after only 186K. Seems you need to learn how to spin up and spin down a turbo,
Starting a turbo engine from cold and driving immidiatly is a sure way to reduce it's life,
same as stopping the engine after a trip.

Turbo's need time to warm up and cool down.

Very good point as well. I have owned two turbo vehicles in the past.

I recommend a turbo timer. Many turbos are oil cooled. When you shut down the motor it stops the flow of oil and the turbo just sits there and bakes. I had a Greddy turbo timer on both my vehicles and liked it a lot. It allowed me to pull the key out of the ignition and lock up the car while it would keep the car idling for a certain amount of time to give the turbo a chance to cool down.

Edit to add link:

http://www.greddy.com/products/electronics/turbo-timers/
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

If you were going to buy a very nice reliable used car with halfway decent mileage what would you buy and why?

Something that is about the same size would be ideal.

I would look into a used Honda Accord or Toyota Camry. You won't sacrifice much in terms of ride quality, build quality or gas mileage (even with V-6 engines, but the 4-cylinder engines are pretty impressive). You will lose that "thrust" of torque that Audi's are known for. If you really think you'll miss on the German craftsmanship, you might consider a smaller used 3-series, or a Volkswagen Passat.

The other suggestions of Subarus are good too, I think they're well made, nice driving vehicles, though whenever I drove one, even with a light touch, I've never seen them deliver on the fuel economy one expects (YMMV I guess).

If you must have all-wheel-drive, then Subaru would be at the top of my list. At your price point however, the used-car/truck market is vast. Lots of full-size crew-cab 4x4 trucks and SUVs as well as well-appointed "family hauler" SUVs like Honda Pilots, Toyota Highlander, Ford Explorer, et al...happy shopping if thats the way you choose to go.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Before i started as a tech at BMW, I was a service writer at VW/Audi in Des Moines.

The worst cars (for the customer) were the late 90's early 2000 A6's. If the maintenance gets behind on those, if they get driven hard etc, they fall apart. EVERY single one we had come in usually had 1-2000 dollar repairs being done, and still needed 2-3k more in other repairs.

Id honestly look into getting another vehicle. Sounds like you've already done a lot of work to it just to keep it driveable. the Higher the mileage the worse things will get. Engine mounts, and Control arms/bushings will usually go as well and those aren't cheap cause of the labor. Oil leaks are a big problem on them as well.

You'll more than likely be better off looking into another car and getting rid of the one you have. maybe trade it in on a lease of a NEW audi? You can lease the new A4 for about 450 a MO back home for example.

speaking from experience though, I would not buy another USED Audi, or VW. They end up falling apart more often than not.
You never know, until you find out!

Once you go VW / Audi Turbo all other cars are just ho hum.....
$25k? Maybe a a mini Audi? A Passat AWD?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

She wants a 2011 Tiguon SEL 2.0T

We can get it at dealer cost, because a good friend works for VW credit and also get 1.9% financing

The timing belt is no more, it now has a chain, like cars should be. (anyone with racing experience knows what I mean)

Seems like a good car for the money, not cheap but far less than an AUDI

Out the door fully loaded for around 35K

Any opinions based in fact anyone?

Supposed to be a very nice car,wish it was a TDI for the mileage but people seem to be complaining about reliability on those as well.

Seems like almost every car has some type of issues, or is just a drag to own and drive.

Whatever happened to cars that lasted 20yrs and still ran great?

It just does not happen anymore.

BRB prilosec time, been eating them twice a day recently, I wonder why?:|

I hate having bills, I hate being in debt, I hate owing anyone.

I hate having to pay for something I can do myself.

This sucks.

If someone wants to make an offer on the Audi let me know.

I may just fix the stealth for $200 plus tires and drive that, my daughter is getting my jeep, why can't she learn to drive a manual?

Well maybe by the time she is in college I can get something else.

Like a 712K 6x6 Turbo diesel Pinzgauer with kick ass interior!B|

$20K

Yeah pull out in front of me while I am driving that bastards!

They didn't have after-market twin turbos :P

+1
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

They didn't have after-market twin turbos :P

true, when I sold my 81 camaro it had 300k on the body.

I think I spent 3k on motor trans and tires/rims,suspension parts/brakes

I got the car for $500 from my friends mom with a blown up v6, and dropped in an LT1-350 with THM 700R4 trans.

150mph car for that little money and looked great, I drove that another 160k miles and sold it for $2500