PWScottIV

Help me choose a logo for my new medical product design and development company!

OK, I got it to work. I'm down with the first few, for a few reasons:

I think that the latter ones are a bit "clip-art"ish. The 3D button look (as in the last few) is overdone, and is starting to come off as tacky. The designs with the spark coming out of the middle of the name seem kind of tacked-on, as though the design element was an afterthought proceeding the name of the company, and the composition is a bit wonky.

The first few also seem to have the added benefit of having elements that are recognizable without the actual text, or with it. This, along with the simple color combinations (absent from the latter few), provides for a lot of flexibility in the future in terms of printing (printing multiple colors can get expensive) and design work.
Come, my friends! 'Tis not too late to seek out a newer world!

OK, I got it to work. I'm down with the first few, for a few reasons:

I think that the latter ones are a bit "clip-art"ish. The 3D button look (as in the last few) is overdone, and is starting to come off as tacky. The designs with the spark coming out of the middle of the name seem kind of tacked-on, as though the design element was an afterthought proceeding the name of the company, and the composition is a bit wonky.

The first few also seem to have the added benefit of having elements that are recognizable without the actual text, or with it. This, along with the simple color combinations (absent from the latter few), provides for a lot of flexibility in the future in terms of printing (printing multiple colors can get expensive) and design work.

Very good points. From the poll results the last two "3D button" designs are definitely the most popular, and even though I really like the way they look, I have to agree with you that they aren't very unique looking and probably won't be very recognizable as the MedSpark logo from a glance. And then there's the problem with lasermarking that logo.
As far as unique logos go, I like the first one, as it's not likely to be confused with any other logo out there. My concern about that logo is that I'm not sure it has any connection to our name or what we do. It sort of looks like a point-source of light. Maybe that's not as important as I'm thinking it to be?
Gravity Waits for No One.

As far as unique logos go, I like the first one, as it's not likely to be confused with any other logo out there. My concern about that logo is that I'm not sure it has any connection to our name or what we do. It sort of looks like a point-source of light. Maybe that's not as important as I'm thinking it to be?

I'd say that it's fairly important that the logo represent the company's products, goals, or values. Others may not place much importance on representing these things, though- I think it's really up to you!

However, I'm prone to agree with you that it is kind of important. If it were me (and I know it's not :o), I'd consider working with the designer to use the first design or two as a basis for a more representative logo, assuming time and budget allow for further revision.

I'd say that it's fairly important that the logo represent the company's products, goals, or values. Others may not place much importance on representing these things, though- I think it's really up to you!

However, I'm prone to agree with you that it is kind of important. If it were me (and I know it's not :o), I'd consider working with the designer to use the first design or two as a basis for a more representative logo, assuming time and budget allow for further revision.

Well, the designer is actually doing this for free for us, but there's obviously a limit to how much we can ask for...
I would really like to develop a representative logo, but I really don't know what would fit well with our logo. When I came up with the name MedSpark, it was half because it sounded cool, and half because we design medical devices and we "spark" new ideas/products into reality. The choice of spark had essentially nothing to do with electricity or fire, as most of the devices we develop are mechanical, with only a very small subset being electromechanical. And "Innovation Ignited" was the same thing... Obviously we're not planning on catching stuff on fire (hopefully, lol), a lot of it had to do with that it sounded cool. Everything we came up with that was directly related to what we do either was already in use by another company or didn't roll off the tongue well. Maybe to some degree we need to do the same thing with the logo? I dunno.

The last round 3D button design does have a little more going for it that just the votes though... The design was apparently of "introduced" to the market with the Hayes Medical "Ball" logo (see attached), which was the company my business partner founded like 20 years ago. It apparently won a lot of recognition among the graphic design community at the time, winning 1st place in national and international logo competitions and making it into several text books. So, there's some sort of connection there to my business partner's past. And, the lightning bolt in the center was actually created from a picture of a unique art form that I developed that uses high voltage electricity to burn wood... Neither directly relates to our company, but both of us do have a connection to elements of the logo. Not that all that should provide enough justification to use it though... Too bad developing a corporate identity can't be more like math.:(

Well, there is certainly something to be said about logos that "just look cool"- they catch the eye and are usually pretty memorable!

Sounds like you've got some pretty interesting connections to the other logos, too. If nothing else, maybe they could be conversation starters.

Well, there is certainly something to be said about logos that "just look cool"- they catch the eye and are usually pretty memorable!

Sounds like you've got some pretty interesting connections to the other logos, too. If nothing else, maybe they could be conversation starters.

Totally. I just sent an email to our designer explaining our interest in the first and last designs and our concerns with them... Maybe he'll be able to come up with something that is the best of both worlds.

I work in the medical field as well, my .02.....medical and sparks don't bring a comfortable image to mind. From a bio-med standpoint a lot of training is spent to avoid sparks around medical equipment.

Lol, true, true. Good thing our primary product is mechanical and not electrical/electro-mechanical. Which logo did you like the best?

So, we put together some pretty cool business cards with the first logo and now we've decided to go to the last "lightning ball" design, as pretty much everyone I show the logos to chooses that design as their favorite... Aside from the fact that it's not as functional for all forms of media (lasermarking, embroidering, etc), and it doesn't have as much if a "big corporation" feel, it does look pretty unique. And it's actually been the favorite design of ours from the begining, it was mostly just the complications with applying it that turned us off the most.

So, we put together some pretty cool business cards with the first logo and now we've decided to go to the last "lightning ball" design, as pretty much everyone I show the logos to chooses that design as their favorite... Aside from the fact that it's not as functional for all forms of media (lasermarking, embroidering, etc), and it doesn't have as much if a "big corporation" feel, it does look pretty unique. And it's actually been the favorite design of ours from the begining, it was mostly just the complications with applying it that turned us off the most.

little "m" big s""?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

little "m" big s""?

So these are the cards we had designed of logo 1a: http://medsparkllc.com/docs/MedSpark_cards2_blueII.pdf

But now that we've decided to go with the page 8 logos, these are the variations we're considering (we have to choose one that's in raster format and one in vector, so that's why the"crappy" looking logos are in there) http://medsparkllc.com/docs/MedSpark_logo_concepts3.pdf I like page3-#2 and page4-#2 the best. We did decide that we like the "M" and "S" in caps or larger than the rest of the text.

little "m" big s""?

So these are the cards we had designed of logo 1a: http://medsparkllc.com/docs/MedSpark_cards2_blueII.pdf

But now that we've decided to go with the page 8 logos, these are the variations we're considering (we have to choose one that's in raster format and one in vector, so that's why the"crappy" looking logos are in there) http://medsparkllc.com/docs/MedSpark_logo_concepts3.pdf I like page3-#2 and page4-#2 the best. We did decide that we like the "M" and "S" in caps or larger than the rest of the text.

As the temperature is definately dropping the the depths of Hell . . . My daughter and I both AGREE again on the design.

Definately Page 4-#2
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Here's what we're planning to go with... Both configurations of the Lightning Ball design (and the vector formats for lasermarking, etc)
And for the business cards, row 3 for the fronts, and row 4 left for the backs.

http://medsparkllc.com/docs/MedSpark_cards3.pdf

We still need to think about possible changes to the colors and fonts.

Thanks for all the votes and comments!