PWScottIV

Help me choose a logo for my new medical product design and development company!

So, I'm partnering up with a friend of mine to start a new medical device design and development company (MedSpark, LLC). A friend of his, who's a graphic designer, just developed some logo concepts for us, but we haven't been able to settle on which one we like best. It would be awesome if we could get your opinion on which one you like the most.

At this point we're just trying to decide on the shape of the design... We'll start thinking about what colors we like once we've settled on that.

Thanks a bunch in advance for the help!!!

Here's a link to the logo concepts PDF file: http://medsparkllc.com/docs/MedSpark_logo_concepts1.pdf

We don't have a completed website yet, so I just copied the files over from my "old" company website to our new web address http://MedSparkllc.com/, just in case you want to get an idea for the kinda stuff we're going to design.
Gravity Waits for No One.

I like number 13 (:o), but I'd change the spark over it to a medical symbol (see attached).

It keeps the medical in the forefront; that's more concrete than the "ideas."

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I like number 13 (:o), but I'd change the spark over it to a medical symbol (see attached).

It keeps the medical in the forefront; that's more concrete than the "ideas."

Wendy P.

Thanks! I really like the way that looks. However, the big problem with that logo is that it's widely used in medicine. We need a unique logo that someone would be able to see without our company name next to it and know who we are. For example, on surgical instruments, especially on smaller ones where area to print large strings of text is limited, our logo would be able to be laser marked onto it, so someone in the medical community looking at it would know immediately that it was designed by us.

I don't like the ones where the first letter isn't capitalized. It looks sloppy.

The light bulb is too cliche, and honestly, I don't think the lightning is unique enough unless you do something different with it. Just lightning or just a lightbulb doesn't tell me anything about what your company does... I'd be more likely to assume you're the department of water and power. ;)

I don't have photoshop on this computer, so I can't show you what I'm thinking, but find some way to fuse the concept of electrical energy "spark" with a traditional medical symbol. For example:

take the caduceus and wrap lightning around it instead of a snake, or wrap a snake around a lightning bolt...

mortar and lightning instead of mortar and pestle

Mortar and pestle with atom or light bulb on it instead of medical cross

Take the Rx symbol and cross the R with lightning instead of the usual /

The caduceus and * symbol that's often on ambulances - put an atom behind a caduceus instead.

Lightning coming out of a test tube, pill bottle, or syringe

Light bulb in a pill bottle

Pill capsule with lightning, light bulb, or atom on it.

stuff like that. =)

I don't like the ones where the first letter isn't capitalized. It looks sloppy.

The light bulb is too cliche, and honestly, I don't think the lightning is unique enough unless you do something different with it. Just lightning or just a lightbulb doesn't tell me anything about what your company does... I'd be more likely to assume you're the department of water and power. ;)

I don't have photoshop on this computer, so I can't show you what I'm thinking, but find some way to fuse the concept of electrical energy "spark" with a traditional medical symbol. For example:

take the caduceus and wrap lightning around it instead of a snake, or wrap a snake around a lightning bolt...

mortar and lightning instead of mortar and pestle

Mortar and pestle with atom or light bulb on it instead of medical cross

Take the Rx symbol and cross the R with lightning instead of the usual /

The caduceus and * symbol that's often on ambulances - put an atom behind a caduceus instead.

Lightning coming out of a test tube, pill bottle, or syringe

Light bulb in a pill bottle

Pill capsule with lightning, light bulb, or atom on it.

stuff like that. =)

I agree about the first letter not being lower-case too. I also agree about the light bulb being cliche... It wasn't one of my top choices either. I like your idea of wrapping lightning around the caduceus, I'll talk with our designer about that.

The other ideas you had were pretty cool too, but we design medical instruments and the like, not pharmaceuticals, so those would be a bit too misrepresentative for us I think. Thanks a lot for the awesome ideas!!!

Second from the bottom.

I concur - Has a little power image to it make it pop, and the name comes from the power - reading from left to right.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

The other ideas you had were pretty cool too, but we design medical instruments and the like, not pharmaceuticals, so those would be a bit too misrepresentative for us I think. Thanks a lot for the awesome ideas!!!

Sometimes medical equipment is prescribed too, so I was just thinking of random stuff associated with the medical field. Not sure what kind of instruments you design. =)

Best of luck!

Sometimes medical equipment is prescribed too, so I was just thinking of random stuff associated with the medical field. Not sure what kind of instruments you design. =)

Best of luck!

Very good point. For the most part we've been designing implants like hips, knees, spinal, etc and the surgical instruments that are used to install them into the patient. However, we've also worked on a multitude of other medical products from in-bed urinals to operating room equipment. We're open to working on essentially any medical product idea someone brings to us, as long as the idea seems feasible from engineering and marketing standpoints.

Thanks! I kinda like that one too. I'm a little worried that it doesn't look unique enough from a quick glance... And lasermarking fine detail on medical instruments could be problematic... But from the voting results, it's obviously one we need to consider as a strong contender. Thanks for the vote!

Thanks! I kinda like that one too. I'm a little worried that it doesn't look unique enough from a quick glance... And lasermarking fine detail on medical instruments could be problematic... But from the voting results, it's obviously one we need to consider as a strong contender. Thanks for the vote!

Is it possible to - I know it is, but is it reasonable to have that as a background and subdued to about 50%
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

Is it possible to - I know it is, but is it reasonable to have that as a background and subdued to about 50%

Have the entire "lightning ball" logo subdued and behind the text?

Ahhh, I get it. Yeah, I like it. Or maybe break up the text in "Spark" with the lightning?

Right - sounds great - would it be easier to print on appliances though?

Ahhh, I get it. Yeah, I like it. Or maybe break up the text in "Spark" with the lightning?

Lasermarking is gonna be problematic with the whole lightning bolt design in general... For example, there's situations where we'd want to lasersmark the logo where it would only be 1/8in diameter... The bolt just isn't going to show up reliably.

Lasermarking is gonna be problematic with the whole lightning bolt design in general... For example, there's situations where we'd want to lasersmark the logo where it would only be 1/8in diameter... The bolt just isn't going to show up reliably.

AH . . . that is unfortunate.

Are there advantages or is it less problematic to have decals made? Feasibility?

One quick question is how feasible is lasermarking on a device that might be implanted anyway? Could it be undesirable because it could potentially hold bacteria?

And, just because I won't give up on the cadeuceus, here's another suggestion...

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

One quick question is how feasible is lasermarking on a device that might be implanted anyway? Could it be undesirable because it could potentially hold bacteria?

Wendy P.

Oooh - I missed the implantation part -
I thought it was diagnostic equipment.

Wendy P.

Oooh - I missed the implantation part -
I thought it was diagnostic equipment.

We're open to working on those types of devices as well, but we have much more experience with implants and instruments.

Neither of the links are working for me! :o\

Bummer, too- as a biomedical engineer I was excited to see some medical product shtuff. :)

Hmm, might want to try it again... I just tried both links and they work fine. I was able to get them to load up on both my desktop and phone.