AviationTD

The Cause Behind Hollekim's Accident?

At work, my fiancée called me to let me know that she recorded a skydiving film for me. I came home to find out that it was a "20 seconds of Joy" film. I watched it and I couldn't pinpoint the reason why her parachute "failed to open." Anyone know the cause?

It's BASE. BASE operates on a very narrow margin of safety where even a minor delay in the activation sequence causes death. What more do you need to know?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

from what i read from articles, and this could be wrong, it said she had a tension knot. tension knot on a base rig is a bad day. if you have the altitude, a full canopy collapse is maybe your only option after a couple of toggle pulls. keeping fighting till the bloody goggles.
dont let life pass you by

At work, my fiancée called me to let me know that she recorded a skydiving film for me. I came home to find out that it was a "20 seconds of Joy" film. I watched it and I couldn't pinpoint the reason why her parachute "failed to open." Anyone know the cause?

Is she sending you a message that she wants you to quit jumping, because she's afraid you'll get hurt like that? If so, you need to make it clear to your fiancée that you're not giving up skydiving, and that she needs to accept you like that.

It was a wing-suit jump from an attitude, not a base jump. I tried to research the reason why the parachute failed to open. I could see the parachute was out and appeared to be inflated. What happened exactly?

Hmmm, it appears I was confused. Happens.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I think this is the video he is referring to....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZiEmZS_gPo&NR=1

It's from her speaking tour with TNF a few years ago. She states during her lecture that the jump nearly crippled her was a skydive. She never states what the problem was.

Here is a link to the thread on sister site Basejumper.com......

http://www.basejumper.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2655920;search_string=hollekim;#2655920

Confirms tension knot, canopy was open.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

Is she sending you a message that she wants you to quit jumping, because she's afraid you'll get hurt like that? If so, you need to make it clear to your fiancée that you're not giving up skydiving, and that she needs to accept you like that.

Nah! my whuffo lady knows that skydiving is strictly hands-off. I just got curious about this accident.

My audio's a bit sketchy, so I'm relying on the video of the jump itself, not her comments. From the video alone, it looks like a wingsuit skydive from an aircraft, with a partial malfunction fairly low. Hard to tell from the video if some time between deployment and landing was edited-out. Also hard to tell, from the instant the canopy is visible from the POV video, whether it's a base or skydiving canopy. Also hard to tell if the video might have been speeded-up between canopy deployment and landing.

If she was jumping as BASE rig, she only had a single canopy. That's the risk you take on any kind of parachute jump when you don't jump a second canopy in reserve. If she was jumping a 2-canopy skydiving rig, then she either opened too low to cut away a malfunctioned main, or she simply didn't cut it away. Again, that's the added risk you take.

If your GF or you are worried about the risk of you engaging in a "regular" skydive with a 2-canopy rig, with deployment of your main at a properly high altitude, this video probably bears little relationship to that. If your GF is a non-skydiver, Step #1 would be for her to become properly educated on the facts, and myths, of sport skydiving.