shermanator

geocaching

Does anyone do it? I'm looking for a new hobby, something to occupy some extra time. If you've tried it, what is your experience?

I did it many years ago. I ran several caches in my neighborhood and a couple that were virtual caches in remote locations. Even though I retired some of them, a couple are unique enough that people continue to do them and I get reports now and then from them.

Some caches in difficult to get to location are really nice.

A lot of caches tend to be somewhat juvenile and trivial. I think it has a lot to do with it being a "family outing" sort of thing.

A LOT of caches really needed to be rethought after 9/11. It is THE major reason I stopped running caches in my neighborhood. I just didn't want anybody to get into any sort of trouble because some nitwit saw somebody poking around in bushes in the park and thought they were planting a bomb.

I really like the virtual cache idea and came up with several that were puzzle based. Most of these were based on signs or monuments that exist and all the person has to do is look at the right plaque on a wall and figure out what the code says or something. Those seem to me to be the safest for populated areas.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

i did it for a while, then got into that skyjumping-thing you may have heard of..

still run a cache on a nearby hill, it's very pretty up there, guess i just wanted to show people that. by the reports, all seem to think the same thing.

i think it's a great way to make people go to places where they usually wouldnt go..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I did it pretty regular for a while and still have a couple of active caches and travel bugs. One that has been to Ireland and back and has logged over 17k miles. I am planning some motorcycle riding around caching.

It can be interesting caching in different areas as the hide techniques are different in different areas.

I was not a big fan of urban caching as I don't believe that is what the activity was meant to be. All in all it is fun and it gives me a reason to go see areas I've never been to.

My daughter did it for a while with her six year old daughter. They thought it was fun, but you can use up a good bit of gas trying to hit a lot of them.

A friend of mine also did it. He complained about the gas thing too, but seemed to enjoy it for the little while that he did it.

I haven't tried it, but I'd like to one day! :)

Nina

Are we called "DAWGs" because we stick our noses up people's butts? (RIP Buzz)
Yep, you're a postwhore-billyvance