skycamefalling

Jury Duty.......

Never been summoned. Just as well. They'd throw me out in a hurry.

Ditto. But they'd throw me out for different reasons.

I can't hear worth a shit.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I just did my second stint, in December. Although my employer pays for it, it wasn't a 'free holiday' for me because I still spent time at the end of each day picking up my emails and making sure things were running smoothly at work.

As for the jury service itself, sitting around waiting is boring but so long as I'm on a case I really like it. You share quite an intense experience with a group of people you wouldn't normally mix with (ok, so far, so much like skydiving :)
I was the foreman for both cases last time, which also makes it more of a personal challenge. My fellow jurors said they were impressed by my ability to keep order with 12 people all wanting to talk at once. They asked if it was something I did for a living, and I said no (I didn't add, 'but I do captain an 8-way skydiving team' ;)).

About two years ago, I was called for jury duty in S. Florida (Broward County) and actually looked forward to it. When the selection process began, I was apalled. After hearing people practically come right out and say that they would say anything to get out of it, I hope that I am NEVER in a position where my fate has to be decided by a jury.

After hearing people practically come right out and say that they would say anything to get out of it, I hope that I am NEVER in a position where my fate has to be decided by a jury.

All the more reason for you to be happy to serve, and why a jury consists of quite a large group. I don't think of myself as an intellectual giant, but after hearing the way one or two fellow jurors reasoned the facts of a case, I definitely thought 'Thank God I'm here!'

And actually (at least here in the UK) a disproportionately high number of jury trials end in acquittal, compared to non-jury trials. Whatever your reservations, I think the message is - if you want to get off, get a jury!