scooterskydives

alcololic parents , men welcomed

It is so hard growing up and continuing to live with an alcoholic parent.. I pray for him everyday in hopes one day we can enjoy life together.. he is so mean to my mom and I and says such hurtful things... I know he doesn't mean them.. he's drunk. I love my dad! But am so fustetated with the hurtful drunk words he's says.. is it time for tough love? I want my dad back.. its been this way my whole life. He has had a brain injury from a fall from falling drunk..
it sad.. I hate to see him like this ...
Wwjd
If God wanted man to stay on the ground.
He would of put roots on them instead of feet.
loving life
GO-N-UP

No excuses to be mean to people "just" because you're drunk:(, You and your mom need to kick him to the curb and allow him to come back only after he's gotten the help he needs, I know its easy to say, but after my wife kicked me out and told me to get help for my mental health issues I got the help I needed (thanks Brian and Ken) I was able to come home, best thing she ever did for me :)

"The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it." - Michelangelo

I used to periodically take care of an elderly relative in another city. One weekend he was really lit, and quite verbally abusive. I told him I wouldn't come back if that ever happened again.

It didn't. He knew I didn't have to go visit him, and he liked the visits.

You have to figure out what your father likes that you (and/or your mother) control, and take that away from him. He has to decide that the consequences of drinking are too much, you can't tell him.

I know that boredom and depression had something to do with alcohol consumption in his case too.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Wendy is pretty spot on. He likely won't take to heart any threatened consequences that you give him verbally. Alcoholics don't like to be told what they should do. Especially from family members. It's usually experiencing those consequences that gets their attention.

It's been my experience that the hurtful things an alcoholic says to loved ones are only a reflection of their own self-hate. They will attack those closest to them in reaction to their own self doubt and character defects.

Please feel free to PM if you need. I'm blessed to have 3 years of clean sobriety recovering from 25 years of active alcoholism. Been there done that.

aloha.

its been this way my whole life.

I know it's hard to have alcoholics in your life, and it's easy to pick up some of the blame or enable by making excuses. Sometimes extreme excuses.

But if it's been going on your whole life maybe it's not the drink and your dad is just a mean person.

My opinion is to help your mom get out, cut your ties to your dad and give him the opportunity to straighten himself out. AA is the place to start, but he has to want to be helped, want to get over his addiction.

Sorry for your troubles. Good luck.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

From personal experience, I know that living/growing up with an alcoholic parent is difficult. I was never privy to any physical or verbal abuse, (thank goodness)...but the mental strain was enough.

Sending positive thoughts and vibes that the right solution presents itself to your father and that the issue is resolved before anyone (including himself) gets hurt again.

Hang in there,

mike
I don't want to make all the decisions because if I screw up, then I can't blame it on you...

very sorry for your situation.

I have noticed that addictive personalities often have to hit bottom before admitting a problem or seeking help. Sadly, I have seen some that appear to hit bottom repeatedly, go through the help and return to the destructive behavior. Makes you wonder what bottom really is for them.

I've seen two of them die before realizing there was nothing below where they were.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

very sorry for your situation.

I have noticed that addictive personalities often ALWAYS have to hit bottom before admitting a problem or seeking help. Sadly, I have seen some that appear to hit bottom repeatedly, go through the help and return to the destructive behavior. Makes you wonder what bottom really is for them.

I've seen two of them die before realizing there was nothing below where they were.

FIFY

Bottom is where you decide to stop digging. You can usually dig a little deeper if you want to. You can always go back and dig some more, even after you've decided the last one was "It".

Unless, of course, you aren't around any more.

"The ends are always the same. Jails, institutions and death."
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Really sorry to hear about your situation.

I would love to be able to give you good news but we have a neighbour who is alcoholic, and my wife has a number of family members who are alcoholics. Our neighbour has lost just about everything, is in trouble with police etc, nothing stops her drinking.

I hate the whole flippant attitude that people when they say "walk away/cutaway etc" but I think that this is something that you and your mom should seriously consider. My wife is still recovering from the wounds of an alcoholic father 20 years later and her healing only started when she cut ties with him. Granted it has not been easy on her and I got the crap beaten out of me for taking his little girl away (literally try explaining your black eye and bruises to work colleaguesB|).

Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

You are a better person than I am for your tolerance, and a true Christian (even if you aren't, your spirit is in the right place).

My father is a drunk and a loser, and has influenced my kid brother in making some of the same mistakes (e.g., 2ea arrests for drunk driving, etc.).

My dad will see the gates of hell itself before he ever sees me again. He had his last chance a few years ago, but blew it. I know how it feels to be rejected like that. I regret his pain, but not my decision.

If he made a sincere gesture of contrition, I would of course accept it, but because he can't or won't -- Game Over, and good riddance.

I recently got a nasty-gram email from an 18 year-old step-relation (father's "other" family), bad-mouthing me for the way I treated his grandfather (my dad), and how I "broke his heart" - the thing I want to know is why my father isn't discussing this with me instead of his white-trash relations...but I guess that's another story altogether. His message is repeated below.

"Hey dude i got a bone to pick with you! You post these pictures of my grandpa and yet you have no contact with him we have all seen the letter you have wrote him and broke his heart! you dont have a right to be puttin pictures up like you know who [deleted] really is! You dont take care of him or see him or make sure he is alright your not family your jjust another asshole that likes to hurt peoples feelings so i would appreciate if you knock the shit off" [sic]

Given these circumstances, can I be faulted for keeping my distance?

mh

edit for proper placement of caveats within [sic] text
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

My dad will see the gates of hell itself before he ever sees me again. He had his last chance a few years ago, but blew it. I know how it feels to be rejected like that. I regret his pain, but not my decision.

If he made a sincere gesture of contrition, I would of course accept it, but because he can't or won't -- Game Over, and good riddance.

Some of the most angry people I know have grown up in an alcoholic home. I'm 60 years old, and still suffer from the affects of an abusive alcoholic father.

Therapy can help, if you can find the right therapist. I honestly feel that I got more out of self help books than anything else. Medication may be another option.

People used to talk to me about forgiveness. To me forgiveness was the "F" word. It wasn't that I didn't want to forgive, but that I couldn't. It took me twenty years of hating my old man, before I could really grasp that concept.

Finally when he was on this death bed, I was able to let all that anger go. He was unable to talk, but I could see in his eyes, that maybe he was sorry for the past. If a person has remorse, it is a lot easier to forgive. Without that it is really hard. When I was finally able to let all that hurt and anger go, it was a like a great load had been lifted off my shoulders.

I truly believe that forgiving is not for the perpetrator. It is for the victim. It may take years and years before you can come to the point where you are ready to forgive. It's up to you, if you decide to forgive someday. You'll do that when you are ready....not before. Anger and hurt, in therapy, is part of the recovery process.

Forgiving is not forgetting what happened. It may not mean reconcilliation. If a person is toxic enough you may need to distance yourself and your family from that person. I did that for several years. I didn't want my father to hurt my kids. I told him to stay away. Later I told him that I would be around him only if he wasn't drinking. You may need to set firm boundaries....

I could write a lot more on this. Maybe this is enough for now....

So much for forgivness. This is spoken like a true hypocritical born again Christian. pffffff what a joke.

TO THE ORIGINAL POSTER:

I have/had 3 grandparents (2 dead), 2 parents, 5 aunts and uncles and 2 cousins that are horrible alcholoics/adicts. I have a good amount of experience with it so believe me I know what you are going through.

1. Be greatful the desease has not taken hold of you yet. Hopefully it never wiill.

2. It sounds so cliche, but if your dad doesn't want help, or think he needs it, he will NEVER get better. All you can do is be there for him, if you choose, and tell him there is tons of help available.

3. Sometimes people need hard lessons to wake up. For some, its something small like getting into a fight when the're drunk and not wanting to do that again. Some its getting arrested etc. and some its loosing everything, including family.

4. Have you tried an intervention with him?

5. Finally, sometimes when you leave someone alone, meaning your mother leaves, his brother, you, EVERYBODY, it stops enabling him. You or your mother maybe all he cares about, and if the drinking is not pushing you away then why should he care?

Good luck, I have attended numerous AA meetings, seminars etc. with family. Maybe you could offer the same.
Moriuntur omnes, sed non omnes vixerunt.

So much for forgivness. This is spoken like a true hypocritical born again Christian. pffffff what a joke.

I don't see anything hipocritical in these statements. If a person is hurt badly enough, how are they supposed to feel. It may take years to let go of that anger. Religion may not play a role in that....

I don't see anything hipocritical in these statements. If a person is hurt badly enough, how are they supposed to feel. It may take years to let go of that anger. Religion may not play a role in that....

Saying you will never forgive someone in the same sentence as alluding that you are a Christian is the biggest hypocracy.

By the way, I am NOT a Christian for the record.

But no more religeous talk.

Get over yourself. It is perfectly okay to decide that someone is too toxic to be in your life. Mark obviously regrets having to cut someone out of his life and cause that kind of pain to someone, but sometimes it's necessary for your own health when someone refuses to get help.

Sometimes part of acknowledging that you can't control someone else's actions is acknowledging that you don't have to stand around and watch and let them hurt you either.

It is perfectly okay to decide that someone is too toxic to be in your life. Mark obviously regrets having to cut someone out of his life and cause that kind of pain to someone, but sometimes it's necessary for your own health when someone refuses to get help.

Sometimes part of acknowledging that you can't control someone else's actions is acknowledging that you don't have to stand around and watch and let them hurt you either.

Well said!

Guys, let's keep any reference to religion out of this thread so I don't have to lock it.

If I can use the "R" word one more time.....I'd just like to say that a person doesn't have to be religious to forgive.

I spent most of my life hating my Dad, because of what he was....a drunk. I used to hate the word forgiveness, because I couldn't do that. I wasn't anywhere close to being ready for that.

My wife used to say things like, "It couldn't have been any other way," when we talked about the evil things my father did. That would infuriate me even further, because I assumed he didn't have to be that way.

Then, after years of keeping all that anger and depression locked up inside, I began to look at my Dad's childhood....

He was born in a tar paper shack, and almost died that first month of life. He went to school as a 1st grader, without shoes....His mother was killed when he was young, and his Dad didn't want him. He was passed from relative to relative who didn't want him either. When he was old enough he started drinking. Alcohol took some of his pain away. Is there any wonder he was a drunk.

Empathy work such as this, can cause a person to look at things in a different light. That is what I needed to do to finally let that anger go. If anyone had talked to me about forgiveness five years ago, I would have bitten their head off. Forgiving him was exactly what I needed to do to recover. I didn't do it so much for him, as for myself....

Forgiveness is a waste of time though, until a person is ready. It may take years and years before a person is ready for that. Forgiveness should come at the end of the recovery process not the beginning. A person needs to get angry and feel the hurt they have experienced in therapy, before forgiveness is possible.

There are a lot of opinions on this. This is what the recovery process was like for me.....I hope this story helps someone else.

Get over yourself. It is perfectly okay to decide that someone is too toxic to be in your life. Mark obviously regrets having to cut someone out of his life and cause that kind of pain to someone, but sometimes it's necessary for your own health when someone refuses to get help.

You're missing the point, but I won't diverge the thread.

You did that already when you jumped all over Mark. You are missing my point. One can forgive without subjecting themselves to further abuse by remaining in the situation, and I've never met a Christian who claimed to be perfect. He can forgive or not. That's his business, and you have no idea what's in his heart. You're not being helpful to this thread. He was.

You did that already when you jumped all over Mark. You are missing my point. One can forgive without subjecting themselves to further abuse by remaining in the situation, and I've never met a Christian who claimed to be perfect. He can forgive or not. That's his business, and you have no idea what's in his heart. You're not being helpful to this thread. He was.

He was being helpful by stating he will never forgive his father? How is that helpful? My point is, don't bring stupid religioninto the equation when you yourself aren't following one of its main derivatives.

I was only pointing out the hypocracy in the statement, trust me though, IMO MOST Christians are the biggest hypocrites out there.