amstalder

My apartment is creepy

So we got settled in an apartment last week, and now my husband is gone for awhile. Anyhoodles, I swear someone keeps trying to come into the apartment (we have an electronic keypad lock and the damn thing keeps making noises). Plus the apartment is huge and echo-y, so every noise is obnoxiously loud. I am such a pansy :D.

Oh yeah, Happy Valentine's Day!

I swear someone keeps trying to come into the apartment (we have an electronic keypad lock and the damn thing keeps making noises).

That would be a bit spooky. Do you have one of those little spyhole thingummies in the door so you could see whether anyone really was trying to do that?

I swear someone keeps trying to come into the apartment (we have an electronic keypad lock and the damn thing keeps making noises).

That would be a bit spooky. Do you have one of those little spyhole thingummies in the door so you could see whether anyone really was trying to do that?

Sadly, no. Just frosted glass. So they would totally know I am there if I went trying to peek through that :D:S

It's possible it's the neighbor's door I am hearing, but it really sounded like someone jiggled the door handle. I finally turned some music on, and that is making it a little less creepy in here. Probably going to pop a movie in soon. Or clean the kitchen. Our dryer is broken so all the laundry is spread out on the counters. It's pretty comical.

If that was me, I would totally go and look through the glass and make it clear I was doing so! If someone is trying your door, that should be enough to put them off.

Unless of course they're a crazed axe murderer, in which case they are probably hoping to find you at home so that they can break in and crazily murder you with an axe.

I... I'm not helping, am I?

By the way, what movie are you planning to watch? The Shining - that's a good one.

If that was me, I would totally go and look through the glass and make it clear I was doing so! If someone is trying your door, that should be enough to put them off.

Unless of course they're a crazed axe murderer, in which case they are probably hoping to find you at home so that they can break in and crazily murder you with an axe.

By the way, what movie are you planning to watch? The Shining - that's a good one.

The Shining. Greeeeaaatt idea. :D:D

Sadly, no. Just frosted glass. So they would totally know I am there if I went trying to peek through that :D:S

It's possible it's the neighbor's door I am hearing, but it really sounded like someone jiggled the door handle. I finally turned some music on, and that is making it a little less creepy in here. Probably going to pop a movie in soon. Or clean the kitchen. Our dryer is broken so all the laundry is spread out on the counters. It's pretty comical.

you cant see vampires through frosted glass, but they can very well see you! got some garlic in the house? wont help, that's an urban myth. same goes for crucifixes and stuff, only thing that helps is if you get all naked and run around the house three times. make sure to get video so you can show it to future vampires that are unaware that you already practiced this ritual. and while you're at it, post it on here, so we can all vouch for you.. :P
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

If you paste a picture of Bigfoot on the inside of the glass, they'll see enough detail to be scared of what's inside.

Then you can poke holes through his eyes to look out.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

The Shining. Greeeeaaatt idea. :D:D

Yeah, sorry. Bad idea.

Ok, try this. Just call through the door, "Hey, if you're out there, I'm just going to go get in the shower. And I'll be turning the radio on while I'm in there, so I won't be able to hear too well. So don't be busting through the door with your axe while I'm gone, mmkay?"

If you paste a picture of Bigfoot on the inside of the glass, they'll see enough detail to be scared of what's inside.

Wendy P.

Given Ashli's tallnest the eye holes would be around bigfoot's belly button or funnier yet, around his jewels.:)

Even better than that, she could go the whole hog and invest in the full costume. And then peer through the glass and make saskwatch noises.

What does saskwatch sound like? Like Chewbacca, I guess.

Wendy P.

Given Ashli's tallnest the eye holes would be around bigfoot's belly button or funnier yet, around his jewels.:)

Who doesn't love a little furry monster balls??

Even better than that, she could go the whole hog and invest in the full costume. And then peer through the glass and make saskwatch noises.

What does saskwatch sound like? Like Chewbacca, I guess.

I want that costume! It looks warm, too. The only heat comes through the floors (and I don't mean vents in the floors, I mean the hardwoods are heated by pipes underneath with hot water), so it really isn't that warm here.

PS- How do you even type out the noise Chewy makes?

I would guess that kids are attracted to the electronic lock and hit the keys for fun. They might also fancy themselves safe crackers and are trying to guess the code for fun.

Get stuff up on the walls to reduce the echo. If you have hardwood floors, get some area rugs. Also, keep the TV or radio on for background noice until you get settled. The different feel, smell and sound of the place are throwing you. If you had a favorite scent in your old place, use it in the new place.

I can't sleep in hotels and the Army loves to send me places. Figures.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

I have no idea - that's why I didn't try. But in any case I think it'd be scarier if you actually try to make the noises. Typing them out and holding them up to the frosted glass, even if they can be read through it, probably won't have the same effect.

Although it would add a nice touch of surrealism.

It probably is the neighbor's door I'm heard. There are only four apartments and I don't think there are any kids. The landlord did try to just walk in last week, but I keep the outside and inside doors locked (the foyer area has a set of doors too).

I did get a few of my favorite smell good things and have them spread around the apartment. Household goods, unfortunately, won't be here for another two months or so. So I just kind of have to deal with the echoes for now.

I think mostly I'm just not used to a completely empty home. Patrick is gone for the next three weeks or so, and we don't have any pets. I am fairly jumpy as it is. It'll just take a little adjusting :)

I have no idea - that's why I didn't try. But in any case I think it'd be scarier if you actually try to make the noises. Typing them out and holding them up to the frosted glass, even if they can be read through it, probably won't have the same effect.

Although it would add a nice touch of surrealism.

:D:D Probably not. But then again, the only way anyone knows how to communicate anymore is through text and the internet.

Wendy P.

Actually, I think you'd fit better in an ewok costume. Unless you have stilts, I think it'd be difficult walking around in a bigfoot costume. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Wendy P.

Actually, I think you'd fit better in an ewok costume. Unless you have stilts, I think it'd be difficult walking around in a bigfoot costume. :P

OK, now I have visions of a saskwatch appearing at the window, holding up a sheet of paper that says 'RAAAAARRRRR!', turning around and tripping over its own feet.

you cant see vampires through frosted glass, but they can very well see you! got some garlic in the house? wont help, that's an urban myth. same goes for crucifixes and stuff, only thing that helps is if you get all naked and run around the house three times. make sure to get video so you can show it to future vampires that are unaware that you already practiced this ritual. and while you're at it, post it on here, so we can all vouch for you.. :P
Vampires can't come in your residence unless you invite them. Now you know why Switzerland is such a small country. :P
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

I think mostly I'm just not used to a completely empty home. Patrick is gone for the next three weeks or so, and we don't have any pets. I am fairly jumpy as it is. It'll just take a little adjusting :)

Maybe the Smiths and Wessons could come stay with you while he's gone. ;)

No, she just needs a pet;
Perhaps a large Colt.:ph34r:
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Well you have 3 weeks to fill up the place with "Free to a good home kitties". Just how happy the hubby will be to come home to all that pussy. :o:)
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"