sandi

going to Montreal!

I’m going to Montreal the end of March for a conference and I’m going early so I can have a couple days of fun. I’ve never been there and I can’t wait! So what should I do with my two days of me time? Skydiving? Skiing? Wind Tunnel? I’m kind of leaning toward skiing since I live in the Midwest and my skiing here is on hills, not mountains.

Hopefully, I’ll have some time to check out downtown Montreal a little on conference days. Any suggestions for things to do, good restaurants, or anything I shouldn’t miss?

I'm from Montreal, and it's an awesome city! If you only have a couple of days, I would stick to the city but:

Skiing: well, it's not the rockies! But, Orford, Bromont in the Eastern Townships, or Mont Tremblant in the Laurentides (North) will be the biggest mountains in the area: they will be about 2 hour drive from Montreal. There are alot of smaller hills on the way to Tremblant (like St Sauver, Mont Blanc, etc). Expect spring skiing conditions.

Skydiving: most DZ will be closed still. There may be one open for the odd winter jump day, but if I were you, I wouldnt count on it.

Tunnel: havent been, but it's a great facility. If your conference is in Montreal, you'll need to find your way to Laval where the tunnel is, but you'd have fun!

That being said, in the city itself: what do you like to do? What kind of food do you like? Some of the "cant miss" tourist spots that locals also love include Schwartz's Deli on St Laurent (ask for a medium fat smoke meat sandwich) and any of the Montreal Bagel places (the go to ones are Fairmont Bagels and St Viateur Bagels, but any small place downtown where they cook them on location will also be good)

Montreal is a foodie city. If you like pork, you HAVE to go to Au Pied De Cochon. I'm going on my next trip back ;)

If you like bars/lounges, there are 3 main "scenes": St Denis Street (close to the Montreal Uni, with a relax vibe, studentish, and prettyy french); St Laurent Boulevard (the cool street, with cool bars and cafes where you could meet local celebrities you dont know lol, pretty multicultural); and Cressent Street (bars and clubs, more english).

The Old Port is also very fun. The are a couple of what are called "bar a chansonnier" where lots of drinking will be done to the music of a guy playing folk quebec songs: think local version of a piano bar (try Les Deux Pierrots).

There are a couple of streets know for "bring your own wine" restaurants. There is no corkage fees there either. One is Duluth Street, the other Prince Arthur Street. You can eat pretty well for less money that way.

Let me know if you want more details on any of these suggestions!

Remster

Skiing: well, it's not the rockies! But, Orford, Bromont in the Eastern Townships, or Mont Tremblant in the Laurentides (North) will be the biggest mountains in the area: they will be about 2 hour drive from Montreal. There are alot of smaller hills on the way to Tremblant (like St Sauver, Mont Blanc, etc). Expect spring skiing conditions.

She will be visiting in late March so I am not so sure the skiing will be all that good. But you left out the two best mountains in the Eastern Townships. Sutton and Owls Head. At least they were good when I was growing up in La Belle Province. But I left 20 years ago and never looked back, so who knows what happened to Sutton and Owls Head. Grey Rocks (a small resort very close to Tremblant) used to make tons of snow and had some great spring mogul skiing. It's a small resort, but the moguls were some of Quebec's best. But even if the skiing is not good, if one wants to do some sight seeing out of the city, maybe do lunch. The scenery in the Laurentians in the Tremblant area is nice and maybe the crowds won't be bad in late March. It all depends on how much snow is still around huh?

She will have to visit Old Montreal. That is a no-brainer. Do NOT pass through Montreal without visiting the old cobble stone streets. Schwartz's Deli haha long time since I visited that shop. Small but very iconic in the city. Ste Anne-de-Bellevue on the extreme West Island is quaint. I drive through Senneville is also nice.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Don't forget the Mont Royal, the 32km of underground shopping city, the Biodôme, Sainte Catherine... Not too far from town you can also pretty quickly go dog-sledding or snowmobiling
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Don't forget the Mont Royal,

Yeah, it's OK...

the 32km of underground shopping city,

Tourist trap! :P There's better small boutique shopping on St Denis and St Laurent. But if the weather is crap, it's a good option!

the Biodôme,

Tourist trap! :P It's OK if you want to visit a fancy eco-zoo.

Sainte Catherine...

Tourist trap! :P It's OK if you want to visit Le Super Sexe or Chez Paree, or any variety of Ballet Studios;) (I actually told Sandi about both sides of St Cath on an email I sent her: the touristy west part, and the funky East part)

Not too far from town you can also pretty quickly go dog-sledding or snowmobiling

There's a lot to do. Heck, I think at some point there were dog sled outfits on Mont Royal (but March may be too late for good snow in or around town)

And Steve: I'm not a avid skier... I just pointed out few options... But you're right: Sutton is a very nice hill! And I did mention Old Montreal... It's just that us frenchies call it the Old Port... ;)
Remster

she's never been there, so she needs the tourist traps...
I only been there for a weekend (cool weekend destination for us swisses), and basically did all that (plus some Vieux Port, Chinatown and eat a McPoutine at McD's) :D

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

McPoutine at McD'

That's sad... [:/]

You that being said, a grousse poutine must be part of the experience too! maam Bolduc or any of the Lafleur snack bars are miles ahead of that golden arches abomination!

Why would anyone eat "Gross Poontang?":S:P
What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

I <3 Montreal!
A great place! The tunnel is great.
The people are amazing. And the food will really blow your socks off!
Enjoy!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

So much to do in Montreal, I wish I had more time there. Thanks for all the great tips. I think I'll definitley check out the wind tunnel. Maybe I'll wait to decide about skiing and see how the weather is and how the snow is holding up.

With that being said, a grosse poutine must be part of the experience too! maam Bolduc or any of the Lafleur snack bars are miles ahead of that golden arches abomination!

I didn't know McPuke's was in the poutine business. I can't speak about Bolduc, but if someone wants authentic poutine while in Montreal, one really needs to swing by a LaFleurs. Heck while you are at it you can grease up some of the moving parts of your car with whatever grease is left over that you don't want to consume from your tasty Lafleur's poutine snack. :ph34r:

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over