skydiver30960

Ever ship a car across the country?

I MIGHT need to get my Jeep from VA to AZ. Driving her there is not the ideal solution because while I love her she is a fickle bitch and I'm wrorried she'll leave me stranded somewhere in the 2200 mile trip. Also, at 15 mpg and (at least) $3.00 per gallon, I'm going to spend at least $500 in gas.

A very quick internet search netted two different companies, both of which quoted similar terms and about a $1000 price tag. It's nothing to sneeze at, but it's quite a bit more palatable when I take into consideration the money I'm saving on gas as well as the wear and tear on my baby.

Anyone ever do a similar thing? Can you recommend a company? Pros? Cons? Bueller? Bueller?

Elvisio "Arizona dreaming" Rodriguez

We used teh moving company we moved the rest of our stuff with from Montreal to AZ. For the car, it was closer to 2k if memory serves me right, but then they were supposed to take care of import papers (which they did not...) but that's not an issue for your move.

Welcome to AZ in advance!
Remster

I did it in 2009 most recently, Kentucky to California. I used a service that "specialized" in moving cars for folks and while they delivered on time, for a reasonable price (about $800), it is a pain dealing with dispatchers and the truckers to be honest. I'm not saying they're all cut from the same cloth, as I've dealt with some very professional, good people, who drive long haul rigs and what-not. Every time I've moved a car though (several times now), it's a pain in the *@#&(#!*----ass.

Your results will vary. The price they quoted you seems very reasonable considering the cost of diesel. Just be ready for their payment terms. I provided a credit card deposit and they required a cashier's check for the balance upon delivery. Make sure you have every phone number you can get and if possible, be as flexible as you can for delivery. In then end, the effort will save you some heartache over keeping track of your stuff.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I bought a jeep on ebay from up north. I don't recall how I found the guy. It was an individual (basically) who picked up and delivered. Went well. I would expect google could be your friend here.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

I was going to ship one & later decided against it. Be very careful who you get. There are a lot of bad compinies out there. Somehow during my search I found a site that gave history reports on these guys & it really opened my eyes. There are some good ones also. Don't just use price in your selection as you will find that the cheapest are the ones who have many of the problems. I was going to ship from NH to AZ & the prices I got were from $800 nto $1200. If someone recommends one to you, that's probably a good place to start

Only once... I bought a 1975 Porsche 914 from a couple in Washington state, and we split the shipping cost in the transaction. I believe it was about $400 apiece in 1995. It was a good company though. They gave me status reports on where it was when I called, and then called me when it was 20 minutes away so I could get out to the highway exit to meet the driver and lead him to where he could offload it.

Sorry, I can't remember the company's name. [:/]

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I was going to ship one & later decided against it. Be very careful who you get. There are a lot of bad compinies out there. Somehow during my search I found a site that gave history reports on these guys & it really opened my eyes.

Mine, too. A few years back, my kid was given a car by a relative about 1,000 miles away who'd stopped driving. I considered having it shipped, so I did some internet searching, and then plugged my contact info into one of the websites to get a quote. I wound up getting smothered by dozens and dozens of calls and emails from "companies" vying for the job. Then I looked up some of the history reports, and saw loads of horror stories.

We flew out and drove the car back.

I vote for road trip, sounds like that is the cost-saving choice too. It will be fun too! I drove from VA to CA on my own in my little honda civic with 180,000 miles on it when I was 18. It was a blast and I'm still proud of myself for having the guts to do that when I was so young.

If you're worried about breaking down just make sure you've got all the supplies you need and subscribe to AAA.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

I believe what Karenmeal says. Make it an adventure. Think of all the new country you will see. Get AAA and hit the road. Remember that highway miles are alot easier on your vehicle than stop and go city driving. Just my opinion. Hope it works out.:)

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.