lvflyfast

porsche 944

found one with a fresh motor, 1984, body is sweet, $2000, thoughts? i can work on it myself.

Is it RED???

If it is... its guaranteed that you will be getting speeding tickets for that and that alone.. the stupid fucking morons that get hired as cops nowadays just can't help themselves... even if you are doing 5 MPH UNDER the posted speed limit.

Statistics show white cars get more tix.
;)

Well the two fastest cars that passed me the last time I got a ticket were white... numbnuts still selected me... but That was more of a fact I was the one with the radar detector.. and his fancy little radar detector detector picked me out after he followed us all for 2 miles.

My new one cant be "seen" by that unit

I think radar detectors have outlived their usefulness.
Laser is instantaneous. No beating it.
If you detect laser, they gotcha!

Not if your laser detector sees the scatter as they clock someone else.
Granted, it is a *lot* less likely to see the scatter.[:/]
The last time I was stopped for speeding, the damned cop was waiting just over the lip of a hill, where the speed limit was lowered during certain hours of the day, and wrote up a ticket for a bogus speed limit.:S
Incidentally, the speed limit has been raised in that cherry patch since then.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Is it RED???

If it is... its guaranteed that you will be getting speeding tickets for that and that alone.. the stupid fucking morons that get hired as cops nowadays just can't help themselves... even if you are doing 5 MPH UNDER the posted speed limit.

I’m beginning to see a pattern here…

You don't like the police much do you?

:P

Is it RED???

My next door neighbor was the night shift sergeant, and his wife was an officer in the same department years ago when I first moved here.

She quit to raise their children.. he quit because of the INSANITY that has taken over the local department.

None of us are a big fan of the progression towards abuse that is occuring in our local departments. Most of my neighbors have voiced this opinion at town meetings... and with OUR VOTES.

Is it RED???

My next door neighbor was the night shift sergeant, and his wife was an officer in the same department years ago when I first moved here.

She quit to raise their children.. he quit because of the INSANITY that has taken over the local department.

None of us are a big fan of the progression towards abuse that is occuring in our local departments. Most of my neighbors have voiced this opinion at town meetings... and with OUR VOTES.

When I moved to the house I live in almost 11 years ago, the local police department of this 2000+ population town had damn near zero tolerance for speeders. They would pull you over in a heartbeat, even for 5 over. [:/]

They also had one of the best drug interdiction teams for a small town in the entire nation, and were often called to train other depts.

Then the old mayor retired and soon died afterwards. I noticed a difference. The police stopped doing speed traps in all but a few select locations and became a bit more tolerant of speeders, falling in line with the usual 10 under/10 over limit that most depts use. However, they did away with the drug interdiction team. >:( For the life of me, I don't know why. They were damned good at it.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i can work on it myself

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You'll probably get a few chances too

True dat. Mine ('86 Turbo) was a lot more fun to drive than to own.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

i can work on it myself
You'll probably get a few chances too

+1

I had a 914 that was pretty easy to work on. I now have a Boxster and it isn't. A 944 is more along the lines of 914 as far as being able to maintain it yourself. If you try to take it to a dealer they will charge you just to laugh at you.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

found one with a fresh motor, 1984, body is sweet, $2000, thoughts? i can work on it myself.

$2000? That's a good deal. How many miles on the body? My 83 is appraised at $5500 and it's been wrecked and repaired. It has about 75k miles.

What's a "fresh" motor? They are known for breaking timing belts (if you let them go too long), which destroys the motor because it's an "interference" motor.
You can do a lot of the work yourself, the Haynes manual isn't half bad.

They are really fun to drive. They are almost perfectly balanced, and handle like a dream.
And with the 4-cylinder, you really don't find yourself in too much trouble too quickly.
They even get fairly decent milage. I can get 27mpg overall if I behave myself.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I had a red '86 944 Turbo. One of the most beautiful cars ever made. You could run it at 100MPH all day long and it wouldn't even break a sweat. I've never driven a car like it since.

That being said, it was kind of a chore to own. Spark plug wires for that thing set me back over $100. There wasn't anything cheap on that car except the air in the tires.

...That being said, it was kind of a chore to own. Spark plug wires for that thing set me back over $100. There wasn't anything cheap on that car except the air in the tires.

Mine isn't a turbo and it isn't that bad. Most parts come from the parts store (brakes, bearings, ect.) and aren't all that bad, although the ingnition stuff isn't cheap. I've gotten some stuff from the dealer (interior parts, CV boot, DME relay) and they weren't too bad. The new crank sensor was kinda spendy ($650) but that was diagnostic, labor and the part.
It's been pretty dependable. I drive it most days during the spring, summer and fall (it gets stored during the winter).

And I've had mostly good experiences with the dealer. The old service manager was fantastic, and while his replacement isn't anywhere near as good, they seem happy to take my money for the parts I need. I haven't had it in for service except the crank sensor going bad, and that was in 06. Even so, I still am on their mailing list and get invited to the test drive and charity drive events. I even got to play when they brought the instructors up from down south and rented the skidpad at the local tech college. We got to slide around to see how the stability control works and slam on the brakes to see how the ABS works. It was lots of fun (the school has the skidpad for teaching cops and semi truck students).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Turbo charged engines are generally built with a lower compression ratio, so if the motor is built to turbo specs and you run it without a turbo, you might be waay down on power from standard non-turbo motor.

There may be other changes unique to the 944 between turbo and non-turbo as well, but the comp ratio is one to look into for sure.

Unless you're a 944 expert, I'd be weary of a non-running example. Little things the owner 'forgets about' could quickly add up when you try to get it running. Various bits of hardware and brackets can easily add up to $100s or more. Adjust your cash offer accordingly.

+1......i had an '84, was beautiful and black. It was everything other posters said and more. I bought mine for 6500 used, dealer maitained all the records,etc...before i knew it it had seduced me for another 7500.....and then she died

walk away from this one,,,there is a reason the other owner is walking away from his supermodel,,she can no longer give, she'll look at you and make promises she can't keep...she'll tease you and remind you how much fun it can once again be....she'll wink and remind how she held on while you hit the curves and eased her into bumps and corners....walk-a-way....she is much too old now,,,she's done,,,she's on all fours..looking away B|

smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

Just realize that is not a race car,not even close.

It's just a small sporty car that handles fairly well.

My friend had a turbo one, it was a real dog.

He sold it and bought a Mitsubishi VR4 Galant rally car

He got it cheap because it was raced the previous season

That car was really fast, even on rough roads

Even a regular VR4 Galant is a great car if you can find one, people are keeping them.