david3

Bird of Prey ID

Is anyone good at identifying birds? I have seen a bird of prey around my neighborhood for the last few years but don’t know what it is. I occasionally see Red Tailed Hawks around here but not in my neighborhood. I live a block and a half from the center of a town with a population of about 16 thousand in an area of about 3 square miles in southeastern PA.

This bird is smaller than that. I have seen it (or another one) chasing and catching smaller birds. Today as I walked past the window and glanced out I saw it sitting in my neighbor’s yard on the ground. It didn’t move for a minute and I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. I thought it was a piece of dirty, shoveled snow. Once it finally moved I realized it was sitting on a squirrel. I took a few pictures from my window but when someone walking on the sidewalk passed within a few feet of the bird I decided to go outside and see if I couldn’t get a closer shot.

While all of this was going on a second squirrel was obviously very agitated and walking around the bird while staying in the safety of the bushes a few feet away.

I managed to get about 25 feet away and snapped this photo. If you don’t want to see a dead squirrel (nothing gory) don’t click the attachment.

So does anyone now what it may be?

Is anyone good at identifying birds? I have seen a bird of prey around my neighborhood for the last few years but don’t know what it is. I occasionally see Red Tailed Hawks around here but not in my neighborhood. I live a block and a half from the center of a town with a population of about 16 thousand in an area of about 3 square miles in southeastern PA.

This bird is smaller than that. I have seen it (or another one) chasing and catching smaller birds. Today as I walked past the window and glanced out I saw it sitting in my neighbor’s yard on the ground. It didn’t move for a minute and I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. I thought it was a piece of dirty, shoveled snow. Once it finally moved I realized it was sitting on a squirrel. I took a few pictures from my window but when someone walking on the sidewalk passed within a few feet of the bird I decided to go outside and see if I couldn’t get a closer shot.

While all of this was going on a second squirrel was obviously very agitated and walking around the bird while staying in the safety of the bushes a few feet away.

I managed to get about 25 feet away and snapped this photo. If you don’t want to see a dead squirrel (nothing gory) don’t click the attachment.

I dunno - but it looks like it would taste just like a spotted owl.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

looks like a Broad-winged Hawk to me. Do you have any other pictures of it? A tail shot would make it real easy to identify. Did you get a good look at the tail? Did it have 1 white stripe in between 2 blacks stripes?

Unfortunately this is the best photo. I’ll find some Broad-winged hawk photos and some of the other suggestions on line to see if I can match them up.

[reply
I dunno - but it looks like it would taste just like a spotted owl.

I staked a turtle out there to see if it will come back.

That's not very nice. You should stop teasing the hawk and put the bait on it's back.

Don't make me come up there - I mean - if i left now It might just be warm when I got there.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

you do know that the chicken hawk is not a specific bird name? It is an unoffical name of three different hawks: the Cooper's Hawk, the Sharp-shinned Hawk and the Red-tailed Hawk It may seem like im coming off as an ass but I just wanted to clarify it in case it is on jeopardy one day!

How about a Sharp Shinned Hawk?

We have a lot of them around me. They do a pretty good job keeping the mournng doves in check. I have neighbors that finally gave up putting the bird feeders back up after the hawks kept taking them down. I always called them "Hawk food feeders" :)

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

you do know that the chicken hawk is not a specific bird name? It is an unoffical name of three different hawks: the Cooper's Hawk, the Sharp-shinned Hawk and the Red-tailed Hawk It may seem like im coming off as an ass but I just wanted to clarify it in case it is on jeopardy one day!

Now I am confused.

Thanks;)

I believe that is a Falcon

My first thought but I can’t find any info on a falcon native to this area.

I looked at some pics of falcons and it's colors aren't exact but it's other features are very close to a peregrine falcon. They are rare but have been spotted in most places in the US. Just a guess. I hope you can positively ID it and post.