nigel99

Emergency Services rock

It has been half term holidays and my daughter signed up for a course for young teenagers by the local emergency services. She can't stop talking about the fun she had.

It was hosted by the fire brigade and they have had a week of training from all 3 emergency services (Police, Ambulance and Fire brigade). They have been in uniform all week and taught how to march, work as a team, been in the main control room watching real life incidents come in for attention. It was a small group as only 10 kids signed up. She has come away with training in first aid and generally a good understanding on dealing with car accidents, fires and other emergency situations.

Today they had a passing out parade and they split into 2 teams. Her team put out a fire in the training tower using hoses that they had to rig up to the fire engine unaided. The other team "rescued" a dummy from a car crash including lifting off the roof (had already been cut for them), placing dummy on the spinal board etc.

My favourite quote was earlier in the week though. Asked her what they did that day and in her normal non-communicative way simply said "we did drugs":o.

Anyway it was a fantastic course and a real insight into what the guys do on a day to day basis. Very good value for £25.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

That sounds like a totally fun experience - I'd be into that as an adult. I think there are such things as citizen's police academies (though I'm betting they've been cut recently b/c of budgets) and probably the same for EMS, I just haven't looked into it.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

That sounds like a totally fun experience - I'd be into that as an adult. I think there are such things as citizen's police academies (though I'm betting they've been cut recently b/c of budgets) and probably the same for EMS, I just haven't looked into it.

It was very good. We have something called first responders. Basically you get trained to deal with 4 or 5 critical situations (heart attacks, strokes etc) and if an incident happens within 5 minutes of where you live/work they will call you out before an ambulance as the first few minutes saves lives. I am quite keen to sign up. Policing in my neighbourhood would suck, to many drug barons, and wannabe Bin LadensB|
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

One of my nieces is a first responder; she loves it. The only limitation is that since she's under 18, she cannot be the first person at an accident -- she always has to be paired with an adult. But she's learning, and contributing in a real way.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

you might be able to ride as a volunteer with your local fire dept or ambulance crew, especially if they are county based, and not private, not sure how it works with private companies but most govt owned institutions will let you ride as a third rider. if you like it, you might want to consider getting your EMT liscense, and getting on part time, its a pretty fun gig.
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

The best thing I have done in my life was to choose a career as a firefighter/paramedic. I get to work with an awesome group of people in the comminuty that I live in and have a ton of fun while I'm there. It's nice to see a program for kids to gain some exposure to what we really do.

Shane

The best thing I have done in my life was to choose a career as a firefighter/paramedic. I get to work with an awesome group of people in the comminuty that I live in and have a ton of fun while I'm there. It's nice to see a program for kids to gain some exposure to what we really do.

Shane

I have alot of respect for you guys, especially in the medical field.

you might be able to ride as a volunteer with your local fire dept or ambulance crew, especially if they are county based, and not private, not sure how it works with private companies but most govt owned institutions will let you ride as a third rider. if you like it, you might want to consider getting your EMT liscense, and getting on part time, its a pretty fun gig.

I know enough firefighters/EMTs/medics that I'm sure I could arrange it (in fact I already did when I lived in Washington, though it was a quickie when we were meeting our friend for lunch). You can't throw a rock without hitting one at my home DZ. :D

As for actually doing it for a living, nah, I don't think it'd be for me. I have an immense amount of respect for what those folks do, but I have a pretty cushy full-time gig going on so I'll leave the hard work to someone else. ;)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Shane

I have alot of respect for you guys, especially in the medical field.

Thank you. It's nice to hear that from time to time. It's a unique job to say the least and I don't think I could ever imagine myself doing anything different.

Shane

As for actually doing it for a living, nah, I don't think it'd be for me. I have an immense amount of respect for what those folks do, but I have a pretty cushy full-time gig going on so I'll leave the hard work to someone else. ;)

If you listen to some politicians lately, we don't work hard at all. ;)

Shane

yeah, they are trying to royally fuck us over here in florida, taking away our retirement, and pensions. retarded.
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

One of the guys who was also on the desert trek is a firefighter and has been for like 20 years... He said they do more and more of these initiatives because there can be quite a lot of "down time" in their trade. They are paid a fix rate (ie: they get the same amount if they put out a fire or if nothing at all happens during their shift), so I think these sort of things are great... Not only is it making use of an available resource, but it spreads knowledge about emergencies, safety and prevention. These guys risk their lives *and* educate - sounds pretty heroic to me B|

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

One of the guys who was also on the desert trek is a firefighter and has been for like 20 years... He said they do more and more of these initiatives because there can be quite a lot of "down time" in their trade. They are paid a fix rate (ie: they get the same amount if they put out a fire or if nothing at all happens during their shift), so I think these sort of things are great... Not only is it making use of an available resource, but it spreads knowledge about emergencies, safety and prevention. These guys risk their lives *and* educate - sounds pretty heroic to me B|

The initatives come from some down time, and also the fact that when someone has a problem and they don't know who to call or send...they send the fire department to figure out what to do. It is a good thing, and with the fact that there's better fire protection systems in place, our roles have expanded to other areas such as education and medical. Some of the initatives come out to meet eligibilities for grant funding and such as well. It's just part of keeping up with the dynamic society and keeps the job exciting. I'm lucky enough that I don't have to go to work, instead I get to go to work.

Shane

He said they do more and more of these initiatives because there can be quite a lot of "down time" in their trade. They are paid a fix rate (ie: they get the same amount if they put out a fire or if nothing at all happens during their shift), so I think these sort of things are great... Not only is it making use of an available resource, but it spreads knowledge about emergencies, safety and prevention. These guys risk their lives *and* educate - sounds pretty heroic to me B|

In our part of the world our fire dept is a mixed crew of firefighters and emt/paramedic's. Every one on the crew responds to the 911 calls. So the down time is a lot less than it used to be. The first responders also do a lot of training when their not responding.

The fire dept has to meet minimum response times to be certified. The challenge that we face in case of fire is rhe closest hydrant is probably 1 mi away. No sweat the house can be replaced people and pets can't.
One Jump Wonder

engineering specification state that the hydrants shall be no further than 300 feet between them, this is done each time any now main is installed.

I think I understand what you mean is that you are off the end of the existing main by a distance up to a mile.

In that case I would get some large tank trucks and ferry them to the engines.

10k gallons and larger up to 40k gallon tank trailers are not too expensive.

They can be pre-filled and pre-postioned if not in freezing temps

They do rock! I enjoyed working with them when I was an ER nurse and now when we occasionally work with them on rescues that aren't in the backcountry. They are a lot like skycivers. Work hard when it's time to and love to goof around when they can. It's always fun to be around folks who love to laugh.
Andy
I'll believe it when I see it on YouTube!

We have a junior program with my service. Kids 14-18 can join, are put through first aid and cpr training to start and then do monthly meeting/trainings. The do classroom training that eventually leads to a first responder (actually Emergency Care Attendant here in Texas) cert and they practice with all the various equipment we keep on the ambulance, etc. They are encouraged to do ride outs on the ambulance where they have the chance to take vitals, assist with splinting and bandaging, etc. They do a lot for us too, taking part in parades and other PR events, volunteering to staff first aid stations at festivals, etc. It's an awesome group!
Killing threads since 2004.