elias123

Asperger/Autism

...possibly distribute some simple pamphlets on aspergers/autism...

I'm someone with Aspergers, and I have to say this is really a ridiculous idea. Perhaps answer any concerns, but to distribute literature on your condition sets you up as a pariah. Make one or two good friends, let them help you out in integrating yourself into the scene...

No sense in advertising to someone new that you've a condition like ours...let them like you for who you are, not because of pity or novelty...
Ostriches and rheas are the only birds that urinate and defecate separately. They read Parachutist while doing #2.

Hi,

"sets you up as a pariah" Do you mean you distiguish yourself as another 'group' at the dropzone by distributing pamphelts? If so, this may indeed not be such a good idea.

Eli

It's simply that people will tend not to distinguish it from actual mental illness. Unless you're like Rain Man (I know you're not), you're basically saying:

"Hi! I'm . I have a neuro conditon that you'll probably equate with schizophrenia. Please fear jumping with me because you think I'm inherently unsafe/unstable mentally/going to do something dangerous...."

In short, address it only if it becomes an issue and interferes with your time and relationships at the DZ.

Look into the SSRIs. It allowed me to pull a 180 in terms of social phobia/anxiety, an aspect of my AS.
Ostriches and rheas are the only birds that urinate and defecate separately. They read Parachutist while doing #2.

"In short, address it only if it becomes an issue and interferes with your time and relationships at the DZ."
I also think this is the better idea.

"Look into the SSRIs. It allowed me to pull a 180 in terms of social phobia/anxiety, an aspect of my AS."
I already have the prescriptions, I'm buying them tomorrow.

Eli
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane"

Which meds in specific do you take then? Which one works the best for you? And Paxil and zoloft, what's the better one of those two? Thanks again :)

eli

All these sorts of meds come with benefits and side-effects, and the ratio is different for each person who uses them. It also takes many weeks to stabilize/acclimatize on a new drug before you can tell how it's working for you. Work with your doctor to find which one works best for you (she/he may be able to set you up with a couple of weeks worth of free samples from the drug reps) without leaving you either a: totally wired and unable to sleep, or b: narcoleptic. And remember that "newer" drugs aren't necessarily better, they just make more money for the drug companies.

Cheers,
Doug

I have asbergers and i have been skydiving now for 10 years and I have 1700+ jumps.

I do a lot of solo's so fortuanatly I like wingsuiting and canopy piloting as I can either Hop&pop or do a solo, I recently started coaching.

Skydiving is a rush and the sensory overload only comes when there is bright light or in feefall and too much wind comes in and I can't hear my audible. in the plane i can get clautrophobic but that is skydiving so deal with it.

Skydiving has given me friends in a very weird way in that skydiving is the great equilizer. Everybody teats me the same, no less no more. They allow me to be myself and accept my faults just like I have to accept their faults and things i don't like.

Oh and I have told the people who i have known for a while about having AS but not my students and not new people, only those who I interact with regularly and trust.