AggieDave

Any powerlifters in here?

This past year I got back in the gym and got serious for the first time in nearly a decade. Well, I've been having a lot of fun and am getting in decent shape, but I've really been thinking about trying out a local or regional powerlifting meet.

Here's my overall question, it isn't about technique or assisted lifting gear, it is about the weights and the people.

What sort of raw numbers would an average competitor lift? I ask about raw lifts, since I don't have any lifting suits or shirts, all my lifts are raw or with a belt.

Also, now about the people. I know that in the upper levels of powerlifting (as with most physical sports), there is significant drug use. How is it tolerated in the low level competitions? I have no desire to be around any of that. In fact, that is why I lift at a little gym instead of Golds, I don't like being around gear use.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I am not active now but was really into it about 20 yrs ago. My favorite was the deadlift because I believe I have a very strong back, arms were always sort of weak compared to rest of me. I just loved the thought of piling on all those plates !Now at 49 I am one big triathlete.. started doing those because I just needed the aerobic work and was bored during my lunchtime at work. Most powerlifters I have known get the big chunky look which is sort of anti-skydiving, I am also big enough so I need to stay away from getting bigger ! Did you ever read Education of a Bodybuilder by Arnold ? Ah the good old daysB|

Yeah, I read that before.

The big chunky look fits into swooping fairly well.;)

My wife does Triathlons, you two can have them. I'm not going to drive a Subaru or eat twigs. :D

I was a powerlifter when I was in high school and college. I am now 46, and I haven't lifted weights in many years. Here's a couple of links to the top 100 performances in the USA for the 148 and 165 pound weight classes.

http://www.usapowerlifting.com/rankings2010/viewbyweightclass.php?weightclassid=6&sex=1&lifts=8

http://www.usapowerlifting.com/rankings2010/viewbyweightclass.php?weightclassid=7&sex=1&lifts=8

This website should answer your questions about the sport.

http://www.usapowerlifting.com/index.shtml

According to the website, USA Powerlifting is a drug-free organization that drug-tests athletes at competitions.

I know you are not asking about technique, so I won't give advice except to say this: powerlifting is extremely stressful on muscles and joints. Be careful, because this sport can hurt you.

I started lifting in high school and have kept it up for my whole life. The last time I competed was in the early 80s while in the Army. Unfortunately the level of steroid use is huge even at local levels. I would recommend lift for fitness and set personal goals Even your smaller contests have been tainted

I would recommend lift for fitness and set personal goals Even your smaller contests have been tainted

That's what I do now. Thanks for the insight from your experience.:)

Hey Dave! I am actually activily lifting in the AAPF which is part of the AWPC

http://www.worldpowerliftingcongress.com/

The is a bunch of info on the site including current records for both APF (not tested) and AAPF (tested) Raw and geared for both. (gear = suits/shirts)

I actually have my next meet on the 19th up here in Chicago :)
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

It is hard to tell which link you clicked to be sure. It might be KG, but that might also be equipped lifters...and or not-tested.

Most of the stuff in WPC/APF (and the amateur AAPF/AWPC) use kg instead of lbs.

Go tp this link, and check out the RAW National records. This will give you a better idea. Keep in mind that AAPF is the drug tested section of the federation, that is the tab you want to look at.
http://www.worldpowerliftingcongress.com/Records/record.htm
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

My wife does Triathlons, you two can have them. I'm not going to drive a Subaru or eat twigs. :D

Hah I am about as opposite of that as you can get, being Polish I believe in the power of Sausages and Vodka ! (and beer, steaks, pizza, etc.)

Hah I am about as opposite of that as you can get, being Polish I believe in the power of Sausages and Vodka ! (and beer, steaks, pizza, etc.)

You know *exactly* the Tri-types I'm talking about, though, right? Clydesdale class weight starts too low, they should have a super-dale class where you take the twig eating winners and squat them in the transition area for reps.:D

Thanks John! You would be surprised there are a few women that compete. It is fun to continually push yourself. Being on the platform is a whole new aspect to lifting.

Since there is weight classes it works out great, you dont have to be as big as a house to compete and have a chance at winning as you are up against people in the same weight class. Of course the biggers folks move more weight, but that is how it goes.

B|

eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

There's a woman Olympic weightlifter that lives a few miles North of us. Former gymnast, mother of two, she competes at 5' tall and maybe 110.

Vskydiver used to lift a lot. It's a great workout for man or woman. Although I'll never compete or look like Arnold, I really missed my workouts while my shoulder healed up. It's nice to be back.