ZigZagMarquis

Any BASE jumpers missing?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/03/09/body-atop-broadcast-tower-michigan/?test=latestnews#

Body Found Atop Broadcast Tower in Michigan

Published March 09, 2011 | FoxNews.com

Maintenance crews in Michigan made a gruesome discovery on Tuesday when they found a man’s body at the top of a broadcast tower, MyFoxDetroit.com reported.

Workers spotted the dead man – who was only wearing a T-shirt and underwear – on top of the 1,100-foot CBS broadcast tower around 12:30 p.m.

"Around 12:30 today, we received a phone call from the workers that were working on this tower. They had found a deceased black male at the very top of the tower," Oak Park Public Safety Sergeant Jason Ginoplis said.

Investigators are trying to determine the man's identity, as well as how he got to the top of the tower and the duration of time he was there.

"We don't have any information on who he is at this point. We don't know how he got up there. It appears as he went up there on his own," Oak Park Public Safety Lieutenant Samantha Kretzschmar said.

Authorities said there were no obvious signs of violence on the body, but that nothing could be ruled out as a cause of death.

Getting the body down from its high position was dangerous work that required special recovery skills.

"Right now, we have three anchor teams from the Oakland County Technical Rescue Team. We have Independence Township, Pontiac Fire Department and Southfield Fire Department. Because of the height of this tower, it is a high angle body recovery at this point, so technicians have gone up the elevator and climbed up the final approximately 45 feet to the level that the deceased is at," Southfield Fire Chief Peter Healy said.

After the recovery, the body was taken to the medical examiner's office where an attempt will be made to identify the victim.

The radio tower, leased by Richland Tower to CBS-owned and operated Detroit television station WWJ-TV, was at 20931 Meyers near Eight Mile Road, about 13 miles northwest of central Detroit.

I'm gonna guess it was drug related. Up there all by himself in his underwear? 1100 ft is a LONG climb and if he was familiar and seasoned would take 45 minutes or more. For someone who isnt used to climbing towers it would have taken a lot of energy, strength, time, and determination to get up there. Probably got tweaked on something and thought it was a good idea.

The good news?

I know know of an 1100ft tower with a working elevator ;)

"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

. . . sounds like his friends decided that his gear was pretty cool and took it.:D

.... and his pants???

They were really cool motorcycle pants, extra padded.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

. . . sounds like his friends decided that his gear was pretty cool and took it.:D

.... and his pants???

They were really cool motorcycle pants, extra padded.

ooo those are nice pants. Lucky for his friend they were the same size.

.... and his pants???

They decided the pants were disgusting and that he wouldn't want to be caught dead in them!

OK - I'll go with that.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I'm gonna guess it was drug related. Up there all by himself in his underwear? 1100 ft is a LONG climb and if he was familiar and seasoned would take 45 minutes or more. For someone who isnt used to climbing towers it would have taken a lot of energy, strength, time, and determination to get up there. Probably got tweaked on something and thought it was a good idea.

The good news?

I know know of an 1100ft tower with a working elevator ;)

My first thought as well!
BASE 1384

1) Of course
2) You think they would really expect something like that to happen twice? :P
3) It's Michigan, it's cold!
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

So why do they got to take so much time trying to get the body down? How come they just did not send someone to the top of the tower, throw the body off and pick it up at the bottom? Saves time and money:S

Speedracer~I predict that Michael Jackson will rise from the dead.
And that a giant radioactive duck will emerge from the ocean and eat Baltimore.

So why do they got to take so much time trying to get the body down? How come they just did not send someone to the top of the tower, throw the body off and pick it up at the bottom? Saves time and money:S

I'm with ya...and the easiest way to get a cat down out of a tree, is with a shotgun!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I'm thinking that might complicate the autopsy!

Dont know if that was a serious question or not but I am pretty sure it is illegal to knowingly cause harm to a human body; dead or alive.

Dont know if that was a serious question or not but I am pretty sure it is illegal to knowingly cause harm to a human body; dead or alive.

I suspect he was being half serious. I won’t speak for him but you bring up an interesting point.

At what expense must you go to not “knowingly cause harm”? Sounds like peoples lives are in danger recovering the body not to mention the dollars involved. Where do you draw the line?

If they just threw the body down would that not effect the autopsy? I am thinking they want to know how he died. :S (It does seem like a lot of trouble to recover somone who is already dead though.)

"Don't! Get! Eliminated!"

If they just threw the body down would that not effect the autopsy? I am thinking they want to know how he died. :S (It does seem like a lot of trouble to recover somone who is already dead though.)

Put a base rig on it, hold the pilot chute and away we go.

If they just threw the body down would that not effect the autopsy? I am thinking they want to know how he died. :S

Dude was half naked, in the open, 1100 ft up in march. Probably not going to need Quincy on the case to figure out it was exposure. Just take a blood sample to figure out what he was high on and then launch him;)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

"Right now, we have three anchor teams from the Oakland County Technical Rescue Team. We have Independence Township, Pontiac Fire Department and Southfield Fire Department.

Lowering him 45 feet to an elevator. Yeah I can see how that's worthy of 3 teams and 3 fire departments.

They will also need a taco truck to feed all the people involved. You know... all the important support staff sitting on the ground.

Next time I'm in Michigan... It IS only an 1100 foot climb :)
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Serious question.......no. But how much danger did the people put themselves in that helped recover the body from that height? Like they said, it took quite a bit of time, skill and planning to successfully recover the body. Was it time and $$ well spent or was there an "easier" less dangerous alternative approach to the recovery? What about one of them giant inflatable airbags things. The use of one of those would help any damage the body would incur from the fall.
Speedracer~I predict that Michael Jackson will rise from the dead.
And that a giant radioactive duck will emerge from the ocean and eat Baltimore.