regulator

72% of Grocery Carts have fecal matter on them

What I find most disgusting is that there is a large number of people who let their 8 or 9 month old kids suck on the handle of the carts. I use a sanitizing cloth, and STILL hate to touch the thing!
When Streaker went on to the immunosuppressants that he is on (about 2 years ago) I really started getting more careful about what either of us touches. For instance, the door handle at McDonalds. YUCK!!
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

What I find most disgusting is that there is a large number of people who let their 8 or 9 month old kids suck on the handle of the carts. I use a sanitizing cloth, and STILL hate to touch the thing!
When Streaker went on to the immunosuppressants that he is on (about 2 years ago) I really started getting more careful about what either of us touches. For instance, the door handle at McDonalds. YUCK!!

I would sooner suck the McDonald's door handle than eat there.
"Nature is cruel, but we don't have to be." ~ Temple Grandin

]To a certain point I agree with you, but think of all the outbreaks of typhoid, cholera and other diseases that start with poor sanitation. We endured outbreaks like this well into the late 1800s in this country, and many parts of the world continue to be plagued with them today. Your argument breaks down a little with that point, I believe.

The best defenses are multi layered, starting with basic sanitation. I always try to wash my hands before eating, after the restroom, etc. But I have no qualms about eating a little dirt on my food, like when you go camping.

Absolutely - no disagreement from me there - we really have made great strides. But I think the pendulum has swung perhaps a hair too far, and we're now over-sanitizing and not equipping our immune systems to deal with the minor bugs and allergens of everyday life.

Of course, I think we've swung too far in general with respect to trying to make life completely safe and this is just a symptom of a larger societal swing. But that's another debate altogether. :D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

we're now over-sanitizing and not equipping our immune systems to deal with the minor bugs and allergens of everyday life

My SIL, the infection control nurse, would agree with you.

Lots of hand-washing. With antibacterial soap when you're in the hospital, and especially if you're moving from patient to patient (doctors are the worst, according to her). But with just plain old soap and water outside. Let your body do its job.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

>There is an enormous difference between, dirt and dirty things... and infectious
>material.

Pretty much all dirt is infectious material. We live in a sea of potential pathogens. Children, when exposed to them, develop immunities to them - which is why over-sanitizing things that children handle can lead to health problems later in life (asthma, autoimmune diseases, susceptibility to infection.)

I'd pay money to see that.:D:D:D:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Do you have any medical background, Bill?

Ever spent any time working in an ER?

It was a Holiday In Express . . .
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

The big problem in fast food places is the ice.

A local girl compared the germ content of the toilet water
to that of the ice.
The toilet is routinely disinfected. The ice machine
is a germ-breeding oasis.

That cup of ice is a mouthful of disease.

In Houston we used to have a consumer-crusader type broadcaster named Marvin Zindler. Every Friday night he'd have his weekly restaurant reviews (for cleanliness), and the high point was when he got to say "Slime in the ice machine."

He loved his job :ph34r:

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

>Do you have any medical background, Bill?

PADI Medic, Red Cross first aid/CPR/first responder etc. But actually most of my medical background comes from working with/talking to my wife, who's an orthopedic surgeon.

>Ever spent any time working in an ER?

Yep, but my involvement there consisted mainly of holding things and saying comforting things to patients while the real doctors worked on people.

As Bill said ----- I'd be a whole lot more worried about the ICE in your soft drink than the lemon (scotch probably kills most of the germs when mixed with ice) or the shopping cart.

Just stop touching your face and wash your hands more that once a day...
Dano

Coo coo.

Does your wife see patients in the ER regularly, or is she in private practice and pretty much heads right to the OR?

??

My next question... Ask her if nurses and tech's in the ER, clean beds properly.

This one charge nurse I loved working with before she left because of a shitty new ER director:

She had to take her son into the ER, not ours, but another within our system of hospitals... before she would allow her son to sit on the bed. She wiped the entire bed down with the purple wipes (kills hep, HIV, everything - says on the bottle causes cancer).

On any given night, in our ER... if I wasn't working the night or two before. I could easily find blood on at least 2 or 3 beds... and/or the monitor cables.

Oh, that's just the start...

>Does your wife see patients in the ER regularly, or is she in private
>practice and pretty much heads right to the OR?

She's been working at an urgent care center since she got to San Diego, so she's not operating now. She sees mostly peds cases.