regulator

72% of Grocery Carts have fecal matter on them

I might add, when someone farts, microscopic particals of poop are released in the air with it. So, when you smell someone elses fart you actually inhale their crap.:ph34r: Movie theatre seats are covered in it.

I'm reminded of something a GI Doc once said to me. "Hey, it may be shit to you. But, it's my bread & butter!"
:P

While some people may actually go to the extent to shit their pants your theory isn't exactly plausible.

You smell methane; the gas released when someone farts.

Same way when you pass a dead animal on the road. you're not really inhaling small particles of that animal but the gasses released when decomposition occurs

True, those gasses may carry minuscule particles but I wouldn't you're actually inhaling feces...unless you REALLY GET IN THERE.:D

http://www.chacha.com/question/is-it-true-that-when-someone-farts-microscopic-feces-are-released-into-the-air Sorry I can't make it a clicky, but we had this discussion in my science class years ago. Im sure under and outerwear would filter some out. But maybe not because a study showed that movie theatre seats are covered in it because of the all might fart. Or like you said, unless you really get in there:ph34r: Gross!

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but he's right. You're not breathing itsy, bitsy sh*tballs. You're breathing the gas produced by the enteric bacteria in the sh*tballs. If a study found fecal matter on so many seats. It's because a lot of people don't properly clean themselves.

>You smell methane; the gas released when someone farts.

Methane is odorless. (And most of the gas is CO2 anyway.) However, there are plenty of other gases in flatulence, like hydrogen sulfide, that do stink.

Clearly, you will not be satisfied, Mr.Powers. Not until you have a complete inventory of colonic.... "Mag_Muh."

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/flatulence_gas/article_em.htm

"...results would be scewed anyway."
In Alabama, we spell that "skewed", but you do it the way that makes you happy.
Now back to the topic at hand - 72% is piss poor; we can do better. Let's make our goal 100% contamination on each and every grocery cart in America. That will keep our immune systems primed for any challenge. Ya'll have fun here; I'm going to the grocery store.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

I remember years ago a thread talking about how bathrooms are covered in fecal matter, especially your toothbrush! This from flushing the toilet and some of the water aerating. :ph34r:

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Except I'll also use hand sanitizer if I have a cold, to protect others.

I figure most ill people could not care less, and thus I utilize the sanitizer wipes to wipe the handles of my shopping cart, as well as the seat where I place my resusable grocery bags (which I also regularly sanitize), on top of which I stick my bag.

I also sanitize the bottom and handles of my bag (purse) before I bring it in the house and shoes are not usually permitted.

I am not worried about the "everyday fecal matter", so much as the one spore of something that gets somewhere that will make us--or our pets--violently ill.

Krisanne never gets sick; neither do I. I am allergic to my pets and pollen (I live in Florida; pollen is everywhere on everything now). I get enough exposure to these things and other germs just going about a normal day to build immunity, but I do not lay my trust at the mercy of "what will be, will be" and think little-to-no precautions are necessary for the obvious germ-traps.
"Nature is cruel, but we don't have to be." ~ Temple Grandin

I don't use ass gaskets in a public restroom (unless it's super-nasty or if there's no toilet paper and I need a substitute ).

Me neither--must sit, refuse to hover. But, I carry a pack of organic, flushable sanitizing wipes in my bag and wipe my cheeks with that after standing up, getting situated, and then flushing with the bottom of my shoe as I elbow the door open and quickly get far away from the aerating germs of the flushing toilet. I vacilate between then washing my hands and using the paper towel to open the bathroom door or just using my hand sanitizer (also kept in my enormous bag) after I have completely exited all handled-facilities.

B|

Krisanne never gets sick; neither do I.

I didn't say never, but rarely. And when I do, it's usually when I've been in close contact (home, airplane, conference room) with one or more people who are sick - it's usually in season when things are going around. I can't prove it, but I'm pretty sure I've never gotten ill from touching something, it's usually from touching someone (or being in close - sneezing - proximity to their germs).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I can't prove it, but I'm pretty sure I've never gotten ill from touching something, it's usually from touching someone

I can't prove it, either, but I am pretty sure I never get sick because I drink massive amounts of pinot noir. My theory is the alcohol kills the bad stuff from the inside out and the resveratrol and antioxidants take care of the repair.

:)

The grocer looked behind me to see a little kid peeing in the barrel full of pinto beans

Kids peeing is how the other 28% of the carts get the
fecal matter washed off.

"Kiddie pee... bringing you a cleaner, fresher grocery cart."
:D

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

It states on the label of pinto beans... "Wash thoroughly before cooking!" The kid was just trying to help. :o:D:D

Chuck

Psychiatrist friend of mine once noted:

"So many people have issues with dirt, even though we live in an inherently dirty environment. Animal skin, insect feces, pollen and aerosolized urine is all pretty ubiquitous. I've often wanted to tell people that - 'the world is covered in a thin layer of feces; deal with it.' But that's not all that helpful usually."

Yup! Typical DOUCHE BAG psychiatrist...

There is an enormous difference between, dirt and dirty things... and infectious material.

Psychiatrist friend of mine once noted:

"So many people have issues with dirt, even though we live in an inherently dirty environment. Animal skin, insect feces, pollen and aerosolized urine is all pretty ubiquitous. I've often wanted to tell people that - 'the world is covered in a thin layer of feces; deal with it.' But that's not all that helpful usually."

Yup! Typical DOUCHE BAG psychiatrist...

There is an enormous difference between, dirt and dirty things... and infectious material.

So what is your point?

If we all trusted our immune systems to work as they have for 1000's of years we wouldn't be good consumers of dumb products.

To a certain point I agree with you, but think of all the outbreaks of typhoid, cholera and other diseases that start with poor sanitation. We endured outbreaks like this well into the late 1800s in this country, and many parts of the world continue to be plagued with them today. Your argument breaks down a little with that point, I believe.

The best defenses are multi layered, starting with basic sanitation. I always try to wash my hands before eating, after the restroom, etc. But I have no qualms about eating a little dirt on my food, like when you go camping.

I don't get sick much either (it's been well over a year since my last cold, I believe). I mostly attribute that to careful choice of parents, who also didn't get sick real often. Also generally living healthy -- good food, exercise, all that silly stuff :ph34r:

Ooh -- I like the wine theory. We have generalized it, though, and find that just about any wine seems to help :ph34r:

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)