skittles_of_SDC

Questions for interviewer; and taking note rude?

I was gonna ask my old man these questions because he's been on both sides of the interview table but it has been to no avail as of yet. And I don't think I'll get him before my interview in a few hours. So, I will ask them here in hopes there has been someone on the interviewer side as well as the interviewee side.

First is it rude for an interviewee to take notes during the interview?

Second, what are some important questions to ask that you think I may not have considered asking?

Thanks

I've sat on 3 sides... As an interviewee, as a recruiter (ie: at a Recruitment Firm), and finally as an interviewer (with 2 companies I worked for).

It's not clear what you're about to go and do?? Are you being interviewed or are you going to be the one interviewing?

Anyhoo, here are some tips off the top of my head:

INTERVIEWEE:
-the first handshake and how you enter the room *does* make a difference. People make up their mind about you remarkably quickly and the first couple of minutes are KEY.
-better to err on the side of "over-dressed" than too casual.
-taking notes (IMO) demonstrates that you are interested and you want to get the details right. Just ensure you keep making eye-contact instead of staring at your page... I would recommend writing quickly and in short-hand (as opposed to writing *everything* down)...
Good questions include things like:
*Can you tell me more about this aspect of the job?
*What kind of culture does the organisation have?
*Can you tell me more about the team/team-structure?
*Is there room for me to grow with the company in the longer term?
*When does the role start? (or - When can I expect to hear from you? - careful, this can sound either cheeky or arrogant)

INTERVIEWER
-Be careful of the "Halos and Horns" effect - a tendency to favourably (or unfavourably) judge an entire person's character based on a brief first impression.
-Read the bloody CV before you go into the interview and have some questions already prepared based on their particular CV (why did you leave your last job; can you explain this gap in your CV; why did you change careers; why are all your roles so short, et cetera)
-You can ask general questions before the interview formally "starts"... Things like "how was your journey here?" It tests small-talk and personability. It can help you to see what they may be like to work with (as opposed to just looking at their skill-set).

Hope this helps?? Sounds like you're in a hurry.

Oh yeah... RESEARCH THE COMPANY if you are the interviewee.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

If I was interviewing, I would NOT have a problem with you taking notes (after all, I WILL be) - But using pen and paper - I'd mark you down LOOOOW if you used any tech.

Also remember SWITCH YOUR PHONE OFF

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

It's actually sad how many stupid little rules and etiquettes are involved in interviews. The format to type your cv/resume out. The paper color, the number of pages, size of the font, font face. How to dress. How to act. When to send a thank you, written or e-mail the thank you. Hand shakes, eye contact, body posture. Clothes you wear.

It's like they are trying to size you up and grade you on how well of a worker you are based on a bunch of stuff that doesn't even matter. But you really have no option but to play the game and go with it.

It's actually sad how many stupid little rules and etiquettes are involved in interviews. The format to type your cv/resume out. The paper color, the number of pages, size of the font, font face. How to dress. How to act. When to send a thank you, written or e-mail the thank you. Hand shakes, eye contact, body posture. Clothes you wear.

It's like they are trying to size you up and grade you on how well of a worker you are based on a bunch of stuff that doesn't even matter. But you really have no option but to play the game and go with it.

Yep... A lot of the judgements made during interviews have little to do with whether the interviewee can do the job or not... And an awful lot of interviewers don't ask the right questions to properly determine whether the candidate is the right person for the job. Trouble is, people don't trust the alternatives (aptitude/skills/personality tests). And perhaps with good reason...
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

I've sat on 3 sides... As an interviewee, as a recruiter (ie: at a Recruitment Firm), and finally as an interviewer (with 2 companies I worked for).

It's not clear what you're about to go and do?? Are you being interviewed or are you going to be the one interviewing?

Anyhoo, here are some tips off the top of my head:

INTERVIEWEE:
-the first handshake and how you enter the room *does* make a difference. People make up their mind about you remarkably quickly and the first couple of minutes are KEY.
-better to err on the side of "over-dressed" than too casual.
-taking notes (IMO) demonstrates that you are interested and you want to get the details right. Just ensure you keep making eye-contact instead of staring at your page... I would recommend writing quickly and in short-hand (as opposed to writing *everything* down)...
Good questions include things like:
*Can you tell me more about this aspect of the job?
*What kind of culture does the organisation have?
*Can you tell me more about the team/team-structure?
*Is there room for me to grow with the company in the longer term?
*When does the role start? (or - When can I expect to hear from you? - careful, this can sound either cheeky or arrogant)

INTERVIEWER
-Be careful of the "Halos and Horns" effect - a tendency to favourably (or unfavourably) judge an entire person's character based on a brief first impression.
-Read the bloody CV before you go into the interview and have some questions already prepared based on their particular CV (why did you leave your last job; can you explain this gap in your CV; why did you change careers; why are all your roles so short, et cetera)
-You can ask general questions before the interview formally "starts"... Things like "how was your journey here?" It tests small-talk and personability. It can help you to see what they may be like to work with (as opposed to just looking at their skill-set).

Hope this helps?? Sounds like you're in a hurry.

Oh yeah... RESEARCH THE COMPANY if you are the interviewee.

I sat for an interview last Friday and I performed all these points....and I dressed a little too nice, but, I was wearing the most dressed down coat and tie I own.

I was interviewed by 4 people over 5 hours total. I had to really focus on keeping the interveiw on track and not go off on tangents. It was very diffcult to make the points I wanted to make. And I found the questions I asked were a little too pointed. I did have a nice pool of questions to choose from, so that was not a problem tone them down. I am not in dire need of a job, so I could afford to experiment a little and I found it fun to test the boundries so to speak. Over all, 3 out of 4 really like me. The 4th guy warmed up after a few minutes of technical talk.

I got the impression they are used to people being nervous. I enjoy enterveiwing for practice with jobs I have no intention of taking simply to gain experience, and that really helps to build interveiw skills. And it's fun! I had a guy actually storm out of his own office once while negotiate salary!:D:D

Good luck!:)

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"