blackfox

Living in San Diego

I'm moving to San Diego soon, and would like to know if there any good places to live, or if there are any areas to stay away from? I'm hoping to find a roommate or a place to live for about $400-500.

I've heard San Diego can be an expensive place to live. I have a job offer at a non-profit environmental consulting company for about $27,000/year.

My family thinks I'm crazy for relocating for such a low paying job, but I think my family is just holding me back. I trust the opinions here more than my family.

Anyone have advice for living in San Diego? Is everything in San Diego overly expensive? Is $27,000/year enough to live there?

I haven't lived there in ten+ years...but I gotta tell ya, I was making better than three times your projected income ten years ago and was NOT living large.

4-500 bucks will get you 1/2 of a decent apartment in east county, downtown or the beach is outta your price range...water & electricity is over rated you can do without.:P

Don't get me wrong, you can do it on 27,000, but it won't be the 'San Diego' experience you've been dreamin' of! ;)

I love San Diego, but you might reconsider the 'family holding me back' line...I think they maybe understand better than you~ the actual nutritional value of top Ramon, and just how uncomfortable public transit really is!

Edited to add: checked your profile...d00d, we moved to Texas FROM San Diego. I'd advise you take a re-con trip out there for a couple weeks, you WILL find it's considerably more expensive than here in the lone star!

There IS such a thing as 'quality of life'!
I know 2200.00 a month 'sounds' like a lot...but one day at the DZ and one night in PACERS, and you're living on plastic the rest of the month! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I lived there about a year ago. i was living in a bedroom with a private bath for 675 in del mar which is a nice area. if you share a bathroom etc, i think you could be in budget. i would say your prolly gonna see about a 10% increase in total spending for everything else compared to TX. Gas, Food, etc. The weather is amazing and so is the scenery B| . i say go for it, you can always move back. i have made a couple of leaps of faith that you are thinking of making and it worked out great. As long as you are frugal and can stay within budget, you will be fine. Better find a how to score a cougar/sugar mamma self help book. good luck.

dont let life pass you by

I lived there about a year ago. i was living in a bedroom with a private bath for 675 in del mar which is a nice area. if you share a bathroom etc, i think you could be in budget. i would say your prolly gonna see about a 10% increase in total spending for everything else compared to TX.

So you were renting a room in a house right?

yes, was renting a room in a really nice house. i would recommend using craigslist/ rooms-shares under housing. i have had really good luck with it. I would get a month to month or a 6 month lease at most. That way if the job blows or you cant live on peanuts, you can get out of there. I have found furnished places too for about the same costs, that way you dont have to buy stuff and/ or sell it when you leave.
dont let life pass you by

I've never gone that way, but know many that do and like you say, it works out well.

I have a friend that rented a room in a nice house in Escondido for about ten years, when the economy went south he bought the house from his 'landlords' and now rents it back to them! B|

Is $27,000/year enough to live there?

Probably not if you also want to skydive (of course, there are other ways to finance your skydiving, but that might mean packing on the weekends when you'd rather be jumping). Others have mentioned the specifics of the cost of living in certain areas; trying to get a place you can afford might mean living farther away from your job (which could mean higher commute costs, especially with gas prices rising).

But if the job helps you meet your overall career goals, it might be a good move anyway. Only you know that.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

As with everywhere else, it all depends on where in San Diego you want to live. To have any type of quality of life you will not be anywhere near downtown, the beach, etc. BUT, Skydive San Diego is located very south of the city in an area where you should be able to share an ok apartment with that much.

>Is $27,000/year enough to live there?

When I got to San Diego in '93 I was living on a little less than that, but it was tough.

You're going to be looking at small apartments in the $900-$1000 range depending on where you want to live, so you're likely looking at finding a roommate or two. In general the area nearer the border (Bonita, Jamul, Chula Vista) and the area further inland (Santee, Vista) is cheaper.

living here now, you can find a room for $500/month but its gonna be the crappy room in a house, but still a room and still able to bring bitches home to rail them on your futon! ive noticed that in pacific beach and ocean beach they have a lot of open room, it comes down to people dont want to live there for long so they are cheap and keep rotating. but have fun and good luck!
IHYD