NWFlyer

Renters - do you have renter's insurance?

Public service announcement - renter's insurance is da bomb and usually fairly cheap. (I didn't include homeowners in this poll since having insurance is usually not an option for mortgage-holders).

I just filed my first ever claim :D:D on renter's insurance for a stolen laptop. I had the laptop on a separate rider, so I didn't even have to pay the deductible. I pay an extra $6/year for that rider and it just saved me $600 in replacement cost for the laptop (and I can probably get that $6/year down because I had a pretty high value declared for the laptop even though prices have come down dramatically).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I have plenty of money invested in jumping gear, plus other stuff (like a laptop) That it is worth the few bucks a month to protect it.

Me too. Fortunately the jackass who gained entry to my apartment (no signs of a break-in, so I suspect it was a disgruntled ex-employee of the building who still has keys) was only interested in the laptop and didn't seem to look any farther to discover things like my gear (which was inside my gear bag).

(And yes, locks were changed within a few hours thanks to my very wonderful and handy SO.B|)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

dont most rental agreements in most states require renters insurance? and not simply by checking a box saying you have it, generally you have to prove it.

I've rented in Virginia, North Carolina, Washington, and California and have never been required to have insurance.

dont most rental agreements in most states require renters insurance? and not simply by checking a box saying you have it, generally you have to prove it.

I've rented in Virginia, North Carolina, Washington, and California and have never been required to have insurance.

I've rented in Kansas, Ohio, and Rhode Island and while I've always had insurance and it's been recommended by landlords, it's never been required.

When I rented, yes. I have art/valuables from Asia that I need covered. It would be pretty difficult to replace the items (antiques/gifts), but when insured I at least stand a chance...

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

I had tenant insurance when a family member stole my laptop(i am still pissed about that) and I was told it wouldnt be worth me submitting a claim because the deductible was $500. Wish I knew about this rider thing..
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

Not sure if it's an option on all insurance policies, but they offered it to me when I signed up - basically you can specifically declare any high-value items. I didn't remember about the no deductible thing till I filed the claim today, so that was really good news to hear (my deductible's only $250 but still that would have been a big hit on a $600 claim).

I have rented in Virginia and Rhode island (thank god I am out of that state) and only one place I have rented in Virginia actually required me to provide proof of the insurance. I don't think it goes by the State but buy the landlord/management company. Almost all the places i have rented were large apartment complexs with management companies. the two times i have rented from an individual it was not required. But with that said the renters insurance with a rider for my gear and laptop is well worth it. Escpecially if you have it thru the same company as your auto insurance or any other type of insurance. i got a good price for having multiple policies for all of my toys.
Rodriguez Brother #1626
Dudiest Skydiver #1962
DPH #-2

Dollarwise, renter's insurance is one of the few bargains in the insurance industry. My renter's insurance covered a fairly used rig, jumpsuit and gear bag that, unbeknownst to me, fell off the back of my motorcycle somewhere on the way to the DZ. Never found trace one of it and got enough money out of the deal to buy a complete now rig and ll the trimmings.:D

The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

Often times a renters rider can be inexpensively added to a home owners policy for college students still claimed as 'dependent'.

Did you do that for a kid living in a dorm room? I never thought of that!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Often times a renters rider can be inexpensively added to a home owners policy for college students still claimed as 'dependent'.

Did you do that for a kid living in a dorm room? I never thought of that!

Bad mom!:P:ph34r:
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

we own our house out right, but still have insurance for the value of the house and contents. which reminds me, i have to do an updated inventory on stuff, i try to do that every so often....take pics, record model/serial numbers, especially on weapons and rigs! then i send the CD off to my parents for safe keeping.

take pics, record model/serial numbers, especially on weapons and rigs! then i send the CD off to my parents for safe keeping.

Yep, I took photos of all my gear (including high-res closeups of the serial numbers, a photo of the packing data card) and uploaded them to a secure photo site. That way if anything happens to my laptop (oh, wait, it just did!) or at a remote location like a boogie, they're still available to me.

That's a reminder that I need to take a photo of my new canopy and my full-face helmet, which I've acquired since the last photo shoot. B|

Yup. With replacement value (so I get enough to replace my stuff instead of being stuck with what they believe the depreciated value to be) and firearms (so they pay for more than just the first $x000 of the gun collection) riders.

When I lived in downtown Seattle and had a separate artist's loft for my power tools and pinball machines I had that added as a second location.

When I was just starting my career and didn't have too much stuff, I increased the total policy value to 10X whatever I thought my skydiving equipment was worth since the fine print on the policy limited coverage away from home to 1/10th the content value.

The one claim I made for a stolen camera helmet (when mini-DV camcorders were $1500) made the insurance entirely worthwhile.

The one claim I made for a stolen camera helmet (when mini-DV camcorders were $1500) made the insurance entirely worthwhile.

Yeah, this particular claim doesn't really justify the cost of the overall policy (though it definitely justified the extremely low marginal cost of the rider). But if I ever need to file a claim for skydiving equipment, or something more heinous like a total loss due to some sort of natural disaster, it'll be worth every penny. In fact, the first time I was made aware of the need for renter's insurance was in college when a fire damaged the apartment building of some friends. I don't think any of them had insurance and they had to scramble to replace what they did have on a student budget. [:/]

Yup. With replacement value (so I get enough to replace my stuff instead of being stuck with what they believe the depreciated value to be) and firearms (so they pay for more than just the first $x000 of the gun collection) riders.

This really can't be stressed enough. By default, most homeowner's or renter's insurance policies only cover the depreciated value of a property loss, not the replacement value. Many people don't realize this until they have a claim and it's too late. And if you don't like their figure, you wind up in litigation with your own insurance carrier over the correct depreciated value of your lost/damaged property. It's a huge headache.

Make sure your policy covers replacement value!

Make sure your policy covers replacement value!

Thanks for the tip!

I just signed a lease yesterday and will be moving into my new place on Wednesday. The company there requires renter's insurance, and when I call to set up the policy I'll be sure to inquire about that:)

I got nuthin

take pics, record model/serial numbers, especially on weapons and rigs! then i send the CD off to my parents for safe keeping.

Yep, I took photos of all my gear (including high-res closeups of the serial numbers, a photo of the packing data card) and uploaded them to a secure photo site. That way if anything happens to my laptop (oh, wait, it just did!) or at a remote location like a boogie, they're still available to me.

That's a reminder that I need to take a photo of my new canopy and my full-face helmet, which I've acquired since the last photo shoot. B|

my old boss takes pics of all the serial numbers on his guns (he has well over 300) then downloads them all to a flash drive and puts that in his safe, for safe keeping. might consider that. or a safety deposit box if you dont have a in-home safe
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

my old boss takes pics of all the serial numbers on his guns (he has well over 300) then downloads them all to a flash drive and puts that in his safe, for safe keeping. might consider that. or a safety deposit box if you dont have a in-home safe

And make sure that in-home safe isn't one that one or two people can make off with.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban