shah269

Fear of ending up like a good friend *NOT for the ladies*

I think that what people are saying is that there is no risk-free way to be in a relationship. If it's risk-free for someone, it's not a healthy relationship, because there is an imbalance of power.

Wendy P.

*sigh*
Yeah
Maybe one day when our paths cross I'll tell you the full story.

But yeah.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

I wouldn't want to end up like your friend either because it sounds like he's a lying a**hole who is playing the victim card for ending up in the situation in which he put himself in. "poor me!" F*** that.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

I wouldn't want to end up like your friend either because it sounds like he's a lying a**hole who is playing the victim card for ending up in the situation in which he put himself in. "poor me!" F*** that.

Sometimes you eat the bar sometimes the bar eats you.
Do not mock those who's fate was not fortuitous for yours will be no different.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

Do not mock those who's fate was not fortuitous for yours will be no different.

What you call fate was a series of choices over 8 years. It's possible to make different ones at any point over those 8 years and have your "fate" be very different.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

>Do not mock those who's fate was not fortuitous for yours will be no different.

Fate is not the same as choices. I feel bad for people who were born without arms and legs; it wasn't their fault that their lives are a lot more difficult than mine. I feel a lot less bad for people who are dirt poor just because they never bothered to get an education or a job.

Shah, you are telling us that you want to be with a particular type of woman...
Are you worthy of such a woman?

Why yes. Yes I am!
:)

I can't believe I'm going to say this but I don't think you are shallow because of the things you want... Sounds to me like you want a hot girl and that is important to you. Also sounds like you want a life partner who cares about you and shares your hopes and dreams. It also seems to me part of your dissatisfaction so far with your dating experience is that you had a great partner that you loved and cherished and you're finding it hard to find someone of that caliber. All of these are admirable and good things to look for in a healthy, long-term relationship where both parties mutually love and respect one-another.

The problem, Shah, lies in your deeply flawed assumptions about people in general. Your understanding of what women want and how they think is troubling - not just because it's so off the mark but because it's unhealthy to go about life thinking so negatively about the world and people around you. And it's precisely the derogatory manner in which you speak of and relate to women that is preventing you from finding/building a meaningful relationship (because I do believe that this is ultimately what you're after). Start respecting women, and maybe then you'll see a whole other side to them you didn't realise was there... And it was there all along - you just didn't see it.

As for your friend... We all make poor choices in life. If you don't want to be in the same boat, make sure you are happy with *yourself* first, and then maybe, if you're lucky, the right woman will just happen to stumble upon you. If you are happy and healthy and thinking positively, you'll be much more likely to attract this kind of person as opposed to the wrong kind of partner who feeds your insecurities and makes you feel smaller.

Just my $0.02
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

I can't believe I'm going to say this but I don't think you are shallow because of the things you want... Sounds to me like you want a hot girl and that is important to you. Also sounds like you want a life partner who cares about you and shares your hopes and dreams. It also seems to me part of your dissatisfaction so far with your dating experience is that you had a great partner that you loved and cherished and you're finding it hard to find someone of that caliber. All of these are admirable and good things to look for in a healthy, long-term relationship where both parties mutually love and respect one-another.

The problem, Shah, lies in your deeply flawed assumptions about people in general. Your understanding of what women want and how they think is troubling - not just because it's so off the mark but because it's unhealthy to go about life thinking so negatively about the world and people around you. And it's precisely the derogatory manner in which you speak of and relate to women that is preventing you from finding/building a meaningful relationship (because I do believe that this is ultimately what you're after). Start respecting women, and maybe then you'll see a whole other side to them you didn't realise was there... And it was there all along - you just didn't see it.

As for your friend... We all make poor choices in life. If you don't want to be in the same boat, make sure you are happy with *yourself* first, and then maybe, if you're lucky, the right woman will just happen to stumble upon you. If you are happy and healthy and thinking positively, you'll be much more likely to attract this kind of person as opposed to the wrong kind of partner who feeds your insecurities and makes you feel smaller.

Just my $0.02

you....are....so...right. after my wife died, i went through some really really bad relationships. but, all of which led me to my new love, life, and happiness. i met her when i had decided to be happy, to be free, and to like myself.

That was an absolutely brilliant post. And last I checked (looks down shirt), yup, I'm a woman.

Wendy P.

Well, I'll be damned....last time I looked down your shirt you were a woman then, too!

:P;)
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Shah - I find you hilarious and you should start a comic strip based on all this. You'd be rich.

Seriously, after all the threads, etc. Sounds to me like you should just stop completely and get over the 1st one completely before trying to fill that void.

Taking a break is hard to do for some personalities, I was one. But it pays off.

A cripes, if you don't want to settle just to be with 'anyone', then just plain don't settle. your friend was an idiot

Add me to this list.
I agree with this 100%
It's all so simple.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Shah and those like him serve an important purpose iust as the female equivalent would too,

* They makes the rest of the single people look better to other single people by comparison
* If a couple is having issues and there are thoughts of straying, knowing there are people like that may make them work harder on the relationship. AKA "Could be worse."

:P

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

I think if we get together and work hard we can push this thread into the 1K mark.
SI SE PUEDE!
YES WE CAN!

Just came back from another first date she just droped me a line and wants to go out next week...B|

I'm 25, in law school, currently dating but not serious (ask her, she might say different...hah). (funny comedian (mitch hedberg) joke..."i dont have a girlfriend, i just know a girl that would be really mad if she heard me say that")...anyway, as far as I can tell (from people i've spoken with, my parents, friends parents...etc.), marriage can be characterized in one of three ways.

1. divorce (statistics show about 50% chance for this)
2. unhappy marriage (i'd guess about 30-40% for this)
3. happy marriage (10-20%, and i'd say 20% is on the high side)

You probably think i'm just a cynic but i honestly believe the above %'s are correct. I have a few friends whose parents don't like each other, still live together, and sleep in different rooms.

I know several people who have parents who have been divorced several times and others who have never been divorced but only because of $ and/or kids.

Your friends story is very common in that when you marry a girl she is in "best face/body" mode and once she is comfortable and/or has kids there is little or no incentive to look good anymore. There are exceptions (women who work out, eat right, care a lot about how they look) but generally you should expect your wife to care less and less as the marriage goes on.

As far as marriage goes, (and this seems to describe your friends scenario), marriage is a man made prison where you can let yourself out but it is very financially costly (best case scenario you lose half your $, worst case you lose a lot more when you factor in divorce settlements, alimony, child support, etc...) and emotionally costly (starting over relationship wise and the logistics and ability of raising children with split up parents, division of friends).

Moral of the story is to not be too optimistic about marriage. 50 years ago divorce was unheard of but now it's so socially acceptable that it's almost considered one step further than the "i broke up with my girlfriend" type happening. Prenuptual agreements are a good way to plan for an exit strategy, even if you aren't a millionaire or anything like that. Although certainly an awkward conversation to have before marriage, it's a great way to retain options for your future.

I must admit that I am puzzled by how much weight he places on looks.

Evolution gave us eyes?
Or are you one of those engineering types who uses the line "but she is nice" and then try to convince others to lower their standards?
My engineering "friends" tried that line on me.
Right after the "You should really stop skydiving and riding motorcycles and planning trips to Europe and South America."
Lovely bunch of guys.....big wives. I hear they are "nice"

But I'll lower my standards when the ladies do the same. Till then, eat well, live well and go big or go home.

I didn't say I don't like looks. I have certainly got the better deal as my wife is a hell of a lot better looking than me.

I also don't see it as lowering standards - personally someone who shares my interests, is fun and has character is more important to me than looks. The fact that my wife has looks is a bonus. Put it this way even with a wife who is a "plain Jane" but has character you can always look at other women for your eye candy. If you marry someone purely because they are eye candy (in other words all looks and no depth), unless you are in an open relationship you are shafted.

Anyway assuming that you find someone that fits all your criteria . Why should SHE have to lower her standards and put up with Mr Average? Let's face it you aren't a Skygod, aren't a Millionaire, don't look like Brad Pitt, and might be not meet her expectations in the size department:o:P
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.