NWFlyer

Satisfaction with your life is a direct result of the choices you make

Some yes's, and some no's. Proportions of each vary from person to person and from time to time.

I agree. For the most part my life is a direct result of the choices I've made. There are the few instances where the choices another person made however affected my life either positively or negatively.

And your poll is flawed...there's no boobies option. :P

I agree. For the most part my life is a direct result of the choices I've made. There are the few instances where the choices another person made however affected my life either positively or negatively.

But isn't how you react to something that someone else did to you also a choice? I remember my mom saying something along the lines of "You probably blame me for [whatever I might have been bitching about]? I said "Mom, I'm an adult who's been out of the house for a long time. If I'm still blaming you for my current problems, that says more about me than it does about you or anything you ever could have done."

We'll call that "other.":D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I think that satisfaction is largely a result of the choices that we make, but not completely. We are all presented with different challenges that are often beyond our control. Plus, I suspect that people may be genetically pre-disposed to be more or less "satisfied" than others, though I guess that falls under challenges beyond our control.

And when I say "beyond our control," I mean challenges that we did not choose, but not necessarily challenges that cannot be overcome.

Some yes's, and some no's. Proportions of each vary from person to person and from time to time.

+1 to both the serious response and the boobies.;)

It's a lot harder to be satisfied with your life if you're seriously poor, unhealthy, and have a crappy family.

It's not impossible, but definitely harder.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Plus, I suspect that people may be genetically pre-disposed to be more or less "satisfied" than others, though I guess that falls under challenges beyond our control.

WOW! I never thought of that.....
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

I have this up on my facebook wall and firmly believe it: "I must remember that things, events, and people only have the ability to influence my happiness to the extent that I give them the power to do so. And that if something makes me unhappy I can change it, eliminate it, or change the value I have placed on it."

My father faced more challenges in his life than most people I know, but he managed to face them head on and with a positive attitude. And many of those things were out of his control. Try poverty, a father who died when he was three, a mother who was married about ten times, a terminal illness that was supposed to kill him before he was 18, etc., etc. And yet he also accomplished more with his life than most people I know, because he chose to live his life rather than bitch about how it wasn't perfect.

Shit will happen in life, it's up to you how you deal with it when it does. But I agree with the earlier poster that we all have a predisposition one way or another.

Discuss. ;)

Talk about stating the obvious?!

One would think. Yet there are an awful lot of people who seem to think that life happens to them.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

You do make a good point. How I react is a choice. But there is the rare occasion where there is no good reaction as an option. No matter what you do you're in one way or another screwed because of what the person did.

Yep. I was thinking of when I got drafted in 1972. No good choice there: go into the military during time of war, or leave the country. Ugh. No choice about to what profession the Marines assigned me. No choice about to what duty station they sent me. I didn't get my life back until after I was discharged - then I was a free man again, able to make my own choices about my life, and that felt GOOD!

Discuss. ;)

Talk about stating the obvious?!

One would think. Yet there are an awful lot of people who seem to think that life happens to them.

Yep - I have a sibling that is like that... It's like the whole world is always against her. Guess it means that nothing is ever her fault, but seems to me like a shitty way to go through life when all she can ever be is a victim...
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

I believe in Free Will and I believe in Chaos in the Universe. Some things result from our action or inaction, some are beyond our control. How you react to those things, though, puts it back in the realm of choices you make.

Besides, I think you can choose to be happy or unhappy with your station in life. It's all a state of mind. For me, I count my blessings daily. :)

I have a sibling that is like that... It's like the whole world is always against her. Guess it means that nothing is ever her fault, but seems to me like a shitty way to go through life when all she can ever be is a victim...

People like that annoy the hell out of me. I rarely spend more than a few minutes around them. :P

I have a sibling that is like that... It's like the whole world is always against her. Guess it means that nothing is ever her fault, but seems to me like a shitty way to go through life when all she can ever be is a victim...

People like that annoy the hell out of me. I rarely spend more than a few minutes around them. :P

Yep - normally, I would agree, but this one is family... Ya just gotta try that little bit harder for family :)
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

I believe paths are put in front of you as are crossroads in your life. Depending on the type of person you are...fight or flight, victem or survivor, or a person capable of making choices that maybe the most diffucult but best in the end, will put you where you are in life today.
:)

" Mean people SUCK!"

Yep - I have a sibling that is like that... It's like the whole world is always against her. Guess it means that nothing is ever her fault, but seems to me like a shitty way to go through life when all she can ever be is a victim...

She cute?
Refer to the thread about cute girls getting away with way more than non cute girls.

For further proof wait till spring when the "new" students show up...check out the cute girl...watch how nothing is really her fault ;)

Don't hate me because I'm right B|
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

She cute?
Refer to the thread about cute girls getting away with way more than non cute girls.

For further proof wait till spring when the "new" students show up...check out the cute girl...watch how nothing is really her fault ;)

Don't hate me because I'm right B|

Everything about her is a mess [:/]
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Everything about her is a mess [:/]

Yes...ok...ahh hum....but is she cute?
If so who cares? I mean other than the last guy in line who she eventually will settle down with.

How did a friend once put it "God it's a good thing she's good looking or she would go hungry."

And a psychologist I know "Beauty is currency, it can be expended and utilized for obtainment of given rights and privileges..."

So as long as she's cute..yeah sure so what. But when time comes and she's no longer cute...oh that's going to really be a mess. till then she is blaming the world simply because well....she can and she will have a date come Friday night.

Unless she is married in which case....poor guy!

*sigh* I suppose from you I should expect no less than a shallow response.
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss